Child free coffee shops?

johant1968 said:
Coffee shops?? When you've spent some time at one of our Amsterdam coffee shops, I am sure you don't mind the moms and kids anymore ;)

(kids are not allowed in there anyway ...)

Haven't they banned foreigners now as well ? I'm sure I remember a news article from late last year as they were trying to cut down on the dope holidays

Fido said:
OK, to be specific, my incident was at Costa in Lyndhurst.

Principle remains sound but sympathy in the specific has fallen! What did you expect in Lynndhurst, this time of year? Place is teeming with people from elsewhere and Costa overflowing with them I have no doubt. Most if not all have been living in a tent or caravan for a week or two. Dad's getting fractious about the money going out, Mum is demented by truculent children, in-laws are stirring the pot - and you look for peace and quiet taking coffee with them???

Ban tourists from the New Forest is thhe only answer - that or narrow entrances to keep push-chairs out - but I can hear Chris arguing against that already. Ban tourists then!

Any Coffee shop or restaurant that's child free gets the thumbs up from me, I remember last year sitting down in Jamie Olviers in Cardiff, the Mrs and I order our meal then a massive group of Mothers with babies and toddlers sat opposite me the baby in a high chair proceeded to puke up all over himself the crying moaning and general mayhem caused by this group of Mothers would have put most Millwall supporters to shame, that's the very last time I will ever visit Jamie Olivers in the afternoon, I have grown up children myself but I remember being very thoughtful of people paying good money for a meal, who should not have to put up with some shitty arsed little screaming kids, I'm with Tony I wish I had pepper spray on me that day.

Seriously, can you actually read what you're all writing?

Pretentious bellends.

"Here everybody, everybody ... look at me, ME! being all sophisticated having a Latte and being all thoughtful and stuff. How dare kids be in the same place as me? AND actually making a noise! Must be some of these new fangled Chavs. Don't they know who I am?"

Never heard such a large collection of grumpy, snobby pillocks in all my life.

If you get so worked up over children being children, your heads would probably burst if you had to deal with something remotely important.

Take your kids to McDonald's or Kentucky fried Chicken or some other chav outlets where screaming shouting children are welcome and who's parents couldn't give a flying fuck how their kids behave. Things change whenever my Brother and I and my friends behavior impacted on other peoples enjoyment we we warned in no uncertain terms, but I have been in the company when both the kids and the parents needed and were more than deserving of a good hammering, people today are some of the most anti social inconsiderate of people I've ever come across.

Sitting quietly in my Lymington coffee shop today. Then joined by two toddlers at the next table. They didn't say a word. They just found a way of crashing their chairs against each other so loudly that the Old Trafford roar would have had trouble being heard.

I'm a marked man.

joe mcclaine said:

Pretentious bellends.

"Here everybody, everybody ... look at me, ME! being all sophisticated having a Latte and being all thoughtful and stuff. How dare kids be in the same place as me? AND actually making a noise! Must be some of these new fangled Chavs. Don't they know who I am?"

If you get so worked up over children being children, your heads would probably burst if you had to deal with something remotely important.

Another +1

joe mcclaine said:

Pretentious bellends.

Another +1

So tell us Vinny, what would you actually do if you were sitting having a chat with someone and then screaming began and continued so that you couldn't continue to talk?

I didn't complain, just found a place in the coffee shop far enough away to reduce the noise level so I could hear my companion speak. Not sure what I would have done if that hadn't been possible. Most likely I would have spoken to the staff. I don't mind normal tantrums - just sustained uncontrolled screaming - surely few people actually think that is OK.

joe mcclaine said:

Can there be anything more inportant than the manner in which our children are brought up? The future of the nationr rather depends on it, after all. Fortunately,, I won't have to see whta happens when this crop of ill-disciplined screamers comes to power - then again, perhaps they won't come to power. The welll disciplined children of today will do that - more Camerons - whilst the screamers continue to find the world unfair.

I love the way Vinny creates himself a fantasy and then takes the moral high ground based on his fantasy and attacks others for the role he has assigned thhem.. Over and over, ad nauseam. Too long in the Sargeant's Mess, putting the world to rights?

Perhaps I eat and drink in the wrong restaurants and cafes but I can't honestly recall a time when a child nearby has been so disruptive that it has spoiled my enjoyment, and that includes so-called chavvy places such as McDonalds. I am certainly sensitive to the behaviour of my own children but I suppose that is the point - I'm sitting right next to them and any noise and clamour is worse from my point of view.

I agree with Vinny - this is just a storm in a teacup. :icon_razz:

I've no problem whatsoever with kids being kids. Playing, chatting, getting bored easily, etc, etc.

It's all to do with being considerate. If a child is wailing away or something similar it can't be too much effort to take it somewhere to calm down a bit.

290y5nl.jpg

I've been at both ends of this problem. As an Irish person newly arrived in England in 1980, I was quickly struck by how child unfriendly it was. Children were to be seen and not heard, and if they were heard in public, disapproving glares were sent from every corner. Whereas in Ireland, if baby started creating on the bus, some woman would lean over and try to entertain and distract whilst offering sympathy, here, it was like the baby was crying as direct proof that you weren't doing whatever it was that you should.
Now I'm enjoying a bit of peace and quiet, and when in the dastardly McDonalds the other day with grandson, immediately picked the position furthest away from family with baby...'cos those little buggers have an unpredictable habit of squeeling like there's no tomorrow.
Vinney.....I'm starting to like you!! Who would have thunk it!

PhilD said:

A common mistake - confusing punishment and discipline.

This isn't a storm in a tea-cup - it's about older people liking peace and quiet and younger people liking noise and clamour (so it seems to older folk). Some places, we expect to be quiet - libraries, coffee shops - and feel invaded when that quiet is disturbed. This happens a lot in school holidays and we feel grumpy about it. We also believe in parental responsibility and social responsiibility - how we were brought up years ago - and bemoan the lack of it.

Back
Top Bottom