Child free coffee shops?

I think there's an obvious answer to Peter's predicament here - he should carry a photo of Vinny in full pantomime villain guise and threaten the unruly children that he will call upon this man unless they calm down. That should bring the little miscreants into order pretty quick.

Bechet45 said:
PhilD said:
290y5nl.jpg

A common mistake - confusing punishment and discipline.

This isn't a storm in a tea-cup - it's about older people liking peace and quiet and younger people liking noise and clamour (so it seems to older folk). Some places, we expect to be quiet - libraries, coffee shops - and feel invaded when that quiet is disturbed. This happens a lot in school holidays and we feel grumpy about it. We also believe in parental responsibility and social responsiibility - how we were brought up years ago - and bemoan the lack of it.

Well said Carl, I'm with you all the way, there was a time when parents were allowed to discipline their children, but for the last 30 years we have been ruled guided by a politically correct society full of hair brained social workers, telling you your child's behavior is down to his diet or some TV program he watched when he was was 3 years old everyones a victim, my Sister inlaw is a primary school teacher and she's always telling about kind of shit she as to deal with from kids and their dickhead parents, if a kid even shit's his pants you've got to send him or her home as you are not allowed to change the child, the UK as been part of a disastrous social experiment for many decades, and reading some of the posters here they have well and truly and wholeheartedly taken full part in this experiment. the trouble is they are of a certain age 30 something where the have never experienced another way so they can be forgiven as they don't know any better.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Bechet45 said:
PhilD said:

A common mistake - confusing punishment and discipline.

This isn't a storm in a tea-cup - it's about older people liking peace and quiet and younger people liking noise and clamour (so it seems to older folk). Some places, we expect to be quiet - libraries, coffee shops - and feel invaded when that quiet is disturbed. This happens a lot in school holidays and we feel grumpy about it. We also believe in parental responsibility and social responsiibility - how we were brought up years ago - and bemoan the lack of it.

Well said Carl, I'm with you all the way, there was a time when parents were allowed to discipline their children, but for the last 30 years we have been ruled guided by a politically correct society full of hair brained social workers, telling you your child's behavior is down to his diet or some TV program he watched when he was was 3 years old everyones a victim, my Sister inlaw is a primary school teacher and she's always telling about kind of shit she as to deal with from kids and their dickhead parents, if a kid even shit's his pants you've got to send him or her home as you are not allowed to change the child, the UK as been part of a disastrous social experiment for many decades, and reading some of the posters here they have well and truly and wholeheartedly taken full part in this experiment. the trouble is they are of a certain age 30 something where the have never experienced another way so they can be forgiven as they don't know any better.

Well I think the cleaning the child that shat himself is right enough. Why should a teacher have to do that just as much a protection for them as the kid. Also you can discipline your child all you want you just can't hit them in the face or cause damage to them. If you think that you should be allowed to do that to a child there is something seriously wrong with out.

I have a three year old daughter and I know the coffee shops to go to and those not to go to. Generally anywhere difficult to navigate a buggy / pram / pushchairs. You'll get some peace and quiet in those shops...

As someone with Asperger's with a particular sensitivity to high pitched sounds I wholeheartedly agree with the original post. Many a cup of coffee (and sometimes entire meals) have been left behind due to the pain screaming kids cause me. Ironically some of these kids could be screaming as they have the same issues as me and no other way of expressing it. I think its a shame there aren't more places which cater for children/families separately (perhaps with a play area or videos to keep the kids occupied which I'm sure the mums/dads would appreciate) rather than lumping them in with everyone else - a situation which means no one is happy in the end.

My eldest (21) has ADHD.

I lost count of the number of times we almost ended up fighting due to his condition which gives him a dangerously reckless attitude with very little concern for consequences. These episodes were usually triggered by someone trying to 'control' him.

+1
My son has ADHD and autism, and can't be bothered with going to coffee shops these days, he don't like the smell of ground coffee, chips off every time.
I'd take the girls, as they behave..... but not the boys......one's like a ticking time bomb and the other......moody mark (thats his nick name) just turns into a cluster fuck.

So now I just make my own coffee indoor's, and I've just finished grinding, and my house stinks like a coffee shop :D:D .......Son's........not very happy :mad::mad:

My son (22) has ADHD and Dyslexia (they tend to go together)

He's probably the kind of child that most of you would rather be dead than sitting within a 25 foot radius of your lovely cup of mass-produced coffee.

Just as a 'heads up' it's blokes with ADHD that discovered new lands, and had the 'reckless abandon' to do the kind of stuff that would have most of your bollocks jumping back into your stomachs.

So, for probably the third time in this thread ... get over yourselves, you pretentious bellends.

What's annoying to me are the people who have taken over the seating areas as their own private offices. They take over a table by the electrical outlet. Plug in their computer And phone buy a medium coffee and sit their for hours taking loudly on their phones or even have customers show up.
Big Kids! Once even sat next to a wedding consultant who had the prospective spouses come in and plan out their whole wedding and reception. Not bad for the price of 3 coffees!!
I'll take the kids!

joe mcclaine said:
My son (22) has ADHD and Dyslexia (they tend to go together)

He's probably the kind of child that most of you would rather be dead than sitting within a 25 foot radius of your lovely cup of mass-produced coffee.

Just as a 'heads up' it's blokes with ADHD that discovered new lands, and had the 'reckless abandon' to do the kind of stuff that would have most of your bollocks jumping back into your stomachs.

So, for probably the third time in this thread ... get over yourselves, you pretentious bellends.

We ADHD'ers (as in I've got ADHD as well) don't really give a monkeys toss what other people think of us to be honest, and yes, it's an advantage Henry Ford had ADHD and as I recall he mass produced cars for the first time.

How many times have I been out for a coffee or a meal or the like... thousands.

How many times has it been spoiled by a toddler screaming or the like... a handful.

I'd be willing to put my nuts on the chopping block and say this is probably the same for most folk.

This debate feels like a storm in a 'coffee' cup to me...

Adults are more of a pain in the backside than kids: the table hogger, the spread my papers everywhere so you cant sit down-er, the loud I'm on me mobile-er and TBH in the majority the coffee's not worth the hassle. When Xmas shopping I popped into a Nero (first time in years, and last) and a middle aged couple had four armchairs with their coats and papers spread everywhere. They moved them but the selfishness astounds me. Again the coffee wasnt really worth the hassle.

Northam Saint said:
I appreciate where your coming from, and I have two kids one 12 and another 6.

I've often been in places with kids screaming the walls down and it's bloody annoying. But ours from an early age have been taken them out to eat and to coffee shops. We made it clear from the start that they sit still and be quiet and they do. I even had a colleague once on hearing we were taking them out comment on how brave we were and he wouldn't take his kids out. He and his wife were very well off and thought they were the dogs danglies with their money, flash cars, golf club membership etc etc. But their kids were horrors.

This afternoon we went to the cinema, the place was full of kids all making a racket and the nosiest one of all was the mum giving her kids running commentary on what was happening, not even lowering her voice. My six year old sat there not a whisper. Same on long haul flights, where I've had two people one out going and another one on the incoming flight tap me on the shoulder and say how well behaved they were.

It's all I how you bring them up and solely down to the parents. I feel my kids shouldn't have an impact on others and their enjoyment of a meal, coffee or flight, etc. My kids are far from perfect but they know when to behave.
spot on

I'm on my own with kids this weekend but fancied a pint so I took the kids with me 4 and 6. It's a child friendly pub

I put them on a table with an ipad and some books I bought

a mate brought his two same age and classes in school and the 4 of them were good

It's all about upbringing and discipline, often you just see parents who let their kids scream and do what they want

Back
Top Bottom