Compare DE and cartridge smoothness

Compare DE and cartridge smoothess

• Total voters
Hiya,

I guess this question's geared a bit more towards the DE and SE users. It's in regards as to the outcome of a shave as to how close a shave you strive for.

Now when y'all used catridges, what kind of shave did you get? I am talking about smooth and close....period!! I mean how efficiently did your go to cartridge whack then whiskers? Got it? Better than a cartridge, or worse, or maybe about the same?

I DON'T wanna hear about how much better your face is because of various healthier methods being used now. That's not what I am talking about. No whiteheads or any other curses of nature talk..........ok? I only want to know if your face is as smooth or smoother than when using that cartridge back in the day. Like when you rub your face after a shave.......more towards BBS or not?

I sincerely can't predict what option the highest number of votes will go to. Maybe three choices will be enough, so let's see what happens.

One other thing I'm curious about is if more of you ex cartridge shavers usta go ATG and don't now. I'd guess it would be more than a few people but maybe not.

Martin

Al H said:
Mine is smoother with DE but I never did a proper three pass shave with a cartridge

One pass mixture of three.

Now this is my fault Al,

Yeah, I forgot to mention no crazy answers please. One pass mixture of three? Sheesh.

Sorry Martin - you're going to get justification anyway. I can get much smoother using a Fusion 4 Blade beard whacker, so I feel obliged to vote that way. The problem is that I can't then shave the next day owing to facial irritation. On the other hand, I can shave DE every day. Does that make it closer on average?

My shaves were crap back when I used carts first time round

The techniques I have learnt on the way mean that when I use a cart now, it's faster, easier, closer and more comfortable than a DE, especially when using these new 5 blade systems.

The only thing is, it's not as fun as a DE!

My shaves now are better, but I'm using soap and a brush and better technique. I expect using a cartridge under the same conditions would yield better results than I experienced before.

To be a fair comparison I'd have to revisit a cartridge, and I don't particularly want to.

DE is smoother for me. Injectors (Schick J and M) tend to be the smoothest of all. Cartridges work fine for me as long as they are two bladed (Trac II / Atra / Slim Twin class). The cartridge results are about 80 - 90% of a DE / Injector shave depending on the type of DE / Injector used. I use South to North passes for Cartridge and DE/SE on face for passes one and two. That achieves about 90% ATG. I use East to West if an additional face pass is needed. I use South to North passes for Cartridge and DE/SE on the lower back and upper center of head and an East to West motion above the ears for the rest of the head shave.

That about sums it up.

I used a Bic 3 blade on holiday with my normal DE prep.
I got a much smoother shave than I remember from before my DE days. Had I been using a single blade razor I would have done 3 passes. As it was a 3 blade, I stopped after 1 pass.

If I wasn't saving so much money, I would probably go back to carts.

Hiya,

Some interesting answers. Members using shaving crap that isn't the best in whacking whiskers, but using it anyway for some reason. Members who get a closer shave with a cartridge but the day after feeling isn't worth it. And, a sighting of the rarest of forum members. Yeah, someone who actually uses a DE to save money! No, I must not have understood that right. I think those people are fictional.

I have a strong hunch my old go to Sensor would be very capable of providing a real nice shave (maybe as good as some DEs) but as Dipesh says...where's the fun in that? Yes Vinnie, that's a part of it....heh.

What a coincidence this thread came up as I've been using my Sensor during the week because of a lack of time. I'm getting an equally smooth shave in about a third of the time.

I agree that its a better result with the sensor due to the prep and technique that's developed since using de.

For any given level of effort up to maximum, I get a smoother, closer, shave with a cartridge.

Using maximum care and effort I can get a similar quality shave from a fresh blade in a DE. (The cartridge easily lasts 40.)

Of course, it's much more fun using a DE.

My shave is much better now. That is partly because I actually think about it and stretch the skin too. Having said that that, on the odd occasion I use a disposable razor it is not as smooth as when I use a DE (but much smoother than it used to be, as my technique has improved).

As for when I used to use a shavette, goodness only knows how many times I used the same blade for. It was weeks, for sure!

Cartridge fetches off more hair in one pass than a DE, and that includes aggressive DE razors like a slant or an R41.

If any of you abandoned cartridges/gel for DE/Brush, go back and try cartridge/brush, you may be surprised. I have been.

Ian

Smoother with DE Better technique than when I was using the Contour stuff. I now have 3 options with the DE, Just off to play golf or out for a few hours and don't want to look scruffy = 1 pass X grain. Off out for the day = 1 pass X Grain and 1 against. Want a BSS = 1 pass With 1 pass X and 1 Against + chin touch ups in many many directions.

Back
Top Bottom