El Jefe SE razor

Greetings

It certainly looks ok and the price is reasonable sensible and realistic but as you rightly point out the market is full of the bloody things, every man and his dog has either designed and marketed one; has one in the design stage or is considering designing one. I am lost as to why as yet there still remains no new SE razor to take a standard SE blade, I am sure the design would be no more and probably less taxing than building a razor for the artists club type blades.

Is it the case that it is me who is wrong and because of my liking for the less sharp standard SE blades and my dislike of the artists club blades I think there would be a real market for such a razor when in fact there would not be?

I suppose that making an 'ordinary' SE razor taking GEM blades does require a fresh start whereas with the current rash of offerings it would appear to this lay mans eye that the job is at least half done when you can take the Mongoose and tweek it a bit, or is that being too unkind. Likewise with 'ordinary' SE's there are plenty of good models to draw inspiration from, dozens and dozens in fact.

Anyway El Jefe (if I wanted an artists club bladed SE which I don't) looks the best bet so far because it's priced like a razor and not a Rolex watch :rolleyes:, even if it is (in my eyes) an ugly old bugger!

Regards
Dick.
You make a valid point, there is a big hole in the market for such a razor, I think the standard SE blade you talk about is wide enough but in the meantime we will have to buy or not what the market is offering. Hopefully something will be made soon that takes an ordinary sized SE blade, I for one would be most interested in such a razor. One razor I will be looking at is the new version of the supply provision razor due anytime now, now they have fixed the bugs it could be a good razor.

You make a valid point, there is a big hole in the market for such a razor, I think the standard SE blade you talk about is wide enough but in the meantime we will have to buy or not what the market is offering. Hopefully something will be made soon that takes an ordinary sized SE blade, I for one would be most interested in such a razor. One razor I will be looking at is the new version of the supply provision razor due anytime now, now they have fixed the bugs it could be a good razor.

Greetings

I know virtually nothing about marketing and I have no idea how one would ever gauge what the appetite would be for a SE razor taking GEM blades, I do often think does 'the market' feel that a modern SE made of modern material should be made for a modern blade that is (IMHO) unquestionably sharper and GEM blades are ok for yesterdays razors but why make something new to use 'yesterdays blade'. This argument does not really exist with DE razors as the blades have more or less been the same since about 1905ish.

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

I know virtually nothing about marketing and I have no idea how one would ever gauge what the appetite would be for a SE razor taking GEM blades, I do often think does 'the market' feel that a modern SE made of modern material should be made for a modern blade that is (IMHO) unquestionably sharper and GEM blades are ok for yesterdays razors but why make something new to use 'yesterdays blade'. This argument does not really exist with DE razors as the blades have more or less been the same since about 1905ish.

Regards
Dick.
I think you are right, modern razor for modern blade, that seems to be the thinking behind these new razors.
At least there is a great stock of vintage razors that take the Gem blades for us to use untill the market wakes up to the want/ need of a new razor using those blades. If it will ever happens is anybody's guess.

I think we should encourage OneBlade to come up with a version that takes the Gem blade. After all, they are using a blade that predates the Gem and was used in the Autostrops (or was that the other way around where the Feather FH blade could be used in the Autostrop).

Greetings

Regards
Dick.
They all got excited at improving on SE razors taking GEM blades, saw the 1912, wept and turned to AC blades. :D:D
All hail ↪August W. Scheuber - others are not worthy.

Last edited:
I was thinking that Supply Provision should widen the head of their razor to take Feather AC blades.

Imagine an adjustable Feather AC blade razor....
You never know what's in the pipeline, they may well jump on the band waggon, the market must be near saturation point now though but an adjustable one would be somthing new. Intresting.

That sound intresting , any more info?

- Colonial had plans for it but they are not actively pursuing the project right now,
- Charcoal goods is considering a GEM SE that would be machined and not 3D printed,
- One other that I can't mention is also considering and might be prototyping one in just a few months.

Back
Top Bottom