El Jefe SE razor

I think what is telling about the design/fit/build of this razor is this:

e4d88877f1b7fb30d5b1825cd8b55d26.png

The Shavecraft line of razors has been around for a few years and consists of a bunch of razor models. Why is El Jefe the only one with the disclaimer on its page?

I have a 101 head, and checked the length of the post threads. They are both 16mm. (Crappy calipers) The funny thing is that all of the handles that didn't want to thread onto El Jefe, spin right onto the 101.) Why no warning on the rest of the line? (I checked a bunch of other razors too, they were all 10-11 mm.)

Cost shouldn't be the main factor here, he is selling the X3 for $30, same material, same process, and that is a widely acclaimed head.

I think he got a batch of razors that weren't built up to standard, and instead of eating them and telling us we would have to wait a couple months, he wrote a disclaimer and sold them.

This isn't a bad shaving razor, it is just sloppily built. My recommendation as a wet shaver is this:

If you aren't new to the SE world, and own or have tried a razor that uses the AC style blade, pass on this one.

If you are new to the style, and don't want to spend a lot of money to find out if it's for you, buy one, but do so with the knowledge that it requires some fiddling and some caution when you screw it together.

If you are a minimalist type, frugal shaver, and looking to break into this type of shaving, pass. If you are a hobby shaver or collector and want to try one, go for it. It is after all, only $35-40. I would venture that a lot of us have risked more and gotten a worse shave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the ikon post talks about blemishes and the odd mark. It does not talk about a design fault which the non alignment of the head to the blade clearly is.

The bottom line is that the razor does fit together and shave. The page warns that these razors are not perfect, and says you agree to that by continuing. They look great. They give a pretty darn good shave. They are problematic to assemble. Each person will have to decide if it is worth it to try one. As long as you know that going in, no harm/no foul.

I just now shaved with it, and I have to say I am pretty impressed. If my grade on it was a D before, I would give it a B- now. If I was only grading based on the shave, it would get an A. It is a very efficient razor, and similar to my feelings about the Blackbird, it feels a LOT milder than it is. It definitely left my face with an R41/H2/Mogoose smooth shave. I did irritate my neck a little bit and left a couple of weepers when I went ATG, but I blame myself not the razor. The razor deserves respect, but it shaves so mildly that by the end of the shave, I really wasn't paying much attention. My bad.

This thing definitely shaves like it cost more than $40, even if it was built like it cost $10. I am kind of on the fence with my opinion about this one. I know it was cheap, but Razorock built the Hawk for half the money, and it fits together to tightly Joe should have charged two more dollars and sent a shoehorn along with it.

Some pictures of it next to the Razorock Hawk for a comparison:

bdbe203575aa7b9d5a7bf3a872905a51.jpg
c177260220470791ce6d929c82a42be5.jpg
62d100eab52add54ec64a8814cdf2558.jpg

Great write up on the Razor-warts and all !
Did you make those fantastic looking Razor -Stands ?
Mike B

I think what is telling about the design/fit/build of this razor is this:

e4d88877f1b7fb30d5b1825cd8b55d26.png

The Shavecraft line of razors has been around for a few years and consists of a bunch of razor models. Why is El Jefe the only one with the disclaimer on its page?

I have a 101 head, and checked the length of the post threads. They are both 16mm. (Crappy calipers) The funny thing is that all of the handles that didn't want to thread onto El Jefe, spin right onto the 101.) Why no warning on the rest of the line? (I checked a bunch of other razors too, they were all 10-11 mm.)

Cost shouldn't be the main factor here, he is selling the X3 for $30, same material, same process, and that is a widely acclaimed head.

I think he got a batch of razors that weren't built up to standard, and instead of eating them and telling us we would have to wait a couple months, he wrote a disclaimer and sold them.

This isn't a bad shaving razor, it is just sloppily built. My recommendation as a wet shaver is this:

If you aren't new to the SE world, and own or have tried a razor that uses the AC style blade, pass on this one.

If you are new to the style, and don't want to spend a lot of money to find out if it's for you, buy one, but do so with the knowledge that it requires some fiddling and some caution when you screw it together.

If you are a minimalist type, frugal shaver, and looking to break into this type of shaving, pass. If you are a hobby shaver or collector and want to try one, go for it. It is after all, only $35-40. I would venture that a lot of us have risked more and gotten a worse shave.

Well you are absolutlly right, "Please do NOT expect perfection with these razors". I must admit that is the first time I've seen this and it quite clearly is saying these razors are seconds and buy them at your own risk. You would have to check out their website to know this though and I wonder if connaughts will have a disclaimer for the public to see before purchase. THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention because having not been on ikons website I did not know about this.
I think I will pass on this one, I will spend a little more and buy the ATT SE1. :)

Well you are absolutlly right, "Please do NOT expect perfection with these razors". I must admit that is the first time I've seen this and it quite clearly is saying these razors are seconds and buy them at your own risk. You would have to check out their website to know this though and I wonder if connaughts will have a disclaimer for the public to see before purchase. THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention because having not been on ikons website I did not know about this.
I think I will pass on this one, I will spend a little more and buy the ATT SE1. :)

+1 on the ATT. [emoji1] Pretty hard to go wrong with them.

I do not know much about shipping costs and customs fees and all that for you guys, but Colonial Razor's General will be back in stock soon. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them.

https://colonialrazors.com/

+1 on the ATT. [emoji1] Pretty hard to go wrong with them.

I do not know much about shipping costs and customs fees and all that for you guys, but Colonial Razor's General will be back in stock soon. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them.

https://colonialrazors.com/

Shipping and customs are the sticky point, at least with the ATT I can purchase over here, but thanks anyway. :)

From what I hear, the RazoRock Hawk does not have alignment issues despite being a cheaper razor. To me it spells that Ikon didn't do their homework.

Id say between the Hawk and El Jefe the design/fit of the Hawk is hands down the winner.

It will be veeeerrryy interesting to see if next El Jefe batch will have the larger tabs (like on the early prototype) and be sold as 'improved' at full price.
If so I will indeed don my tinfoil hat and believe that this initial batch was a manufacturing mess-up that got sold at a reduced price covered by the unusual disclaimer on the site - but not fully disclosing the rather significant flaw.

Back
Top Bottom