Looking for something new to watch on TV

I would add to the previous recommendations:

must see:
- The Americans (old school/cold war undercover spy series)
- Fargo (inspired from the movie)
- True Detective (season 1)
- Mr. Robot
- Southland (hyper realistic cop show)
- The Killing (the original Danish version, all the seasons)
- House of Cards (US version with Spacey, season 1 & 2)
- Louie (with Louis CK, the new Seinfeld IMHO)
- Utopia
- Orange is the New Black
- Rectify

optional:
- The Leftovers (very intriguing series)
- Suits
- The Good Wife
- Strike back (bad ass British spec ops operatives)
- The Knick
- American Horror Story (for a VERY adult audience)
- The Wire
- Mad Men
- Peaky Blinders
- Justified
- Gomorrah (the Italian series from the movie)
- Borgen (Danish show)
- Silicon valley

But if there's only one show to watch, then I'd choose Breaking Bad.

Finished season one of Narcos last night and thought it was excellent, that Pablo Escobar was some piece of work. Really enjoying the new season of Homeland too.

If you like both sport and documentaries, try getting your hands on some of ESPN's 30 for 30 episodes, there's some super stuff there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

I just finished 'The Prince of Pennsylvania' and found it totally gripping. If you've seen the movie Foxcatcher and found it intriguing, then you need to watch this.

"An exploration of the turbulent relationship between Olympic wrestling brothers Mark and Dave Schultz and their eccentric benefactor, John du Pont, culminating in the murder of Dave by du Pont."

Where is this, please? - Sky denied all knowledge, not looked in Netflix yet - not sure I know how to search there.
Carl, I watched them in the air (13 hour flight!), but I'm pretty sure the streaming rights have been bought by Amazon and I'm not sure how to access the stuff they own. I can't check Netflix until I get home on Friday, but will let you know then if you haven't found out already. Sorry I can't give you a better answer! :(

Lou

I've been watching "The Last Kingdom" (the Vikings are coming!) on BBC2. Pretty good and some interesting English vocabulary/humour to it.
Quite a lot of gruesome happenings and I'm learning more history than I ever did at school (which wasn't a lot, admittedly).

I can't recall having so many programmes to record or catch up - in no particular order, the ones I look forward to:
The Returned - wasn't sure how they could come up with another series but it seems to work.
The Pottery knock-out - like Bake Off but far more interesting already and only a couple of weeks in.
Homeland - this series is much better than the last and as good as the first two.
London Spy - some scenes are a bit hit and miss - but the storyline is good.
River - enjoyable even though you can spot the red herrings a mile off.

Back
Top Bottom