Moderation Discussion (branched from Nishy's Farewell Thread)

Sorry Len, you'd need to refresh me on that one. I appreciate that I certainly don't read every thread or post, however in 6 years when I've been on here I honestly don't recall derailing ever being given by any mod ( including long before Bechet was a mod ) as a reason for locking down a thread or deleting a post.

JohnnyO. o/

Read the first paragraph by HM in the following link, where he is quoting Boab's instruction about "derailing":

http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/thank-you-god-bless.39138/#post-567808

I learned a long time ago that forums are not a free speech platform - it's like being in someone's house as a guest and you have to adhere to certain rules...or leave.

If you disagree with the home owner about his rules/or how they are enforced you can politely ask for clarification or maybe request the possibility of a change but to keep argue after a response has been provided is both impolite and borderline rude.

Hopefully one have many friends that own interesting homes where one feels more comfortable visiting. Or one can build a whole new home.

Having said that....

I wear my "Banned from B&B and TSN" badges with somewhat of pride though as I fundamentally disagree with how those forums are run and the fact that I don't belong there is, to me, proof that I'm doing the right thing :)

Very much agreed... And we are still waiting on clarification. ;)

It's a different forum to the TSR of last year, pre-upgrade, where if anything too much was let go.

Norms and values change - sometimes organically but often imposed. Some faces stay, some come-and-go, others fade away. Some become moderators.

Accept it or sack it off. Rob's obviously made up his mind for the latter and he'll neither be the first nor the last.

I think I may have used it in a PM to Rob or Tony or someone stirring. Maybe elsewhere. May even have used it with Len for shutting down what he calls discussion. Who knows? Who cares? It's the shutting down that matters. I could have said because I don't like pink, which word is on my profile for some reason.

First they dis me for this reason or that and then care about the reason I give - if I give one - for whatever crime I have just committed. Of course not giving a reason is also a crime.

Anyway, I'm off for my supper.

It's a different forum to the TSR of last year, pre-upgrade, where if anything too much was let go.

Norms and values change - sometimes organically but often imposed. Some faces stay, some come-and-go, others fade away. Some become moderators.

Accept it or sack it off. Rob's obviously made up his mind for the latter and he'll neither be the first nor the last.
Yeah! I miss Pig Cat hugely.

Read the first paragraph by HM in the following link, where he is quoting Boab's instruction about "derailing":

http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/thank-you-god-bless.39138/#post-567808

As in most of the moderate moderating we enjoy in TSR and as I believe has been mentioned the mods are here to moderate online behaviour, rather than to perform as unthinking bits. If anyone is upset by any post of mine thought by them to be irrelevant that's fine. Report it and I'll have no prob with it being deleted. I can however, only repeat that in over 6 years I've never seen that as being given as a reason for deleting or locking down. Which was why I was interested in your statement that it was ' an oft quoted reason ' given. That admin can take action is not in question. That they do so has not been witnessed by me over the years. Your experience may, you feel vary. However, I fear we are unlikely to meet agreement on this.

JohnnyO. o/

I actually like you Carl, and have gotten a lot out of your posts, long before I was even a member. I've taken issues with some of your moderation decisions...

...But I respect you as a man and as a person. Please forgive me if I was over the top in my criticism, or have caused you angst. My apologies, and please take my points and questions about the moderator as something different from the man. You are a respectable one

Cheers and enjoy your supper.

OK, I've stayed out of this debate for the most part so I can read and understand what is going on.

Would it be fair to say that the general grievance is that posts are being removed without warning or explanation, and that receiving some notification of the removal and a reason why would go some way to placating the frustration?

I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that deliberately disruptive communication (or lack thereof) isn't helpful and is fuelling the problem as of late.

I have now been severely moderated in my previous post (#72 now #71 ). While I'm slightly bemused by the moderators action for doing so, I fully respect his decision. :p

I would also like to add that if anyone else would like leave the forum, please PM Admin and ask them to remove your account privately and discreetly.

If you want to leave, then please leave quietly without all the martyrdom and histrionics.

Last edited:
I have now been severely moderated in my previous post (#72). While I'm slightly bemused by the moderators action for doing so, I fully respect his decision. :p

I would also like to add that if anyone else would like leave the forum, please PM Admin and ask them to remove your account privately and discreetly.

If you want to leave, then please leave quietly without all the martyrdom and histrionics.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 41
OK, I've stayed out of this debate for the most part so I can read and understand what is going on.

Would it be fair to say that the general grievance is that posts are being removed without warning or explanation, and that receiving some notification of the removal and a reason why would go some way to placating the frustration?

I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that deliberately disruptive communication (or lack thereof) isn't helpful and is fuelling the problem as of late.

I for one (can't speak for others ) would like to know this -Can I ask the mods a genuine question , do you follow a set of forum guidelines when moderating or are they your own personal guidelines ?

All the non shaving forums I have been on have a set of guidelines some stricter than others but at least everyone knows where they stand .Having posts deleted just because a mod personally doesn't like it shouldn't happen the mod should be able to see the forum as a whole not just his/her domain.

Reactions: Len
WTH, I limit my forum interaction for a few days and all hell breaks loose. o_O
I myself haven't had any of my posts deleted/altered/censored; but since I'm an Admin on a tech forum I certainly see the frustration from both sides. I had volunteered to be a mod on TSR, now I'm partially glad I was passed over. :D

I prefer my goldfish lightly fried (in my best effort to derail the thread).
CIMG4666.JPG

Back
Top Bottom