October 2016 Acquisitions

Doesn't make sense for a woodworker to hand carve the handle when it can quickly be turned on a lathe. Time is money or greater output.

The maker of these brushes is a retired gentleman who carves these for fun. He only did it for his own pleasure, but people started noticing them and asking to buy them. He wont sell them, but will allow you to adopt them, and only charges enough money to buy new stock so he can make more.

It is not a business. http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/

He actually has a lathe, and only recently got around to using it for brushes.

I just got one of his brushes too:

0e62eb5d78bde6eeafdb0ade51808cf3.jpeg

ecf5c4768efbc2942e24e69c4007187b.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense for a woodworker to hand carve the handle when it can quickly be turned on a lathe. Time is money or greater output.

He didn't have a lathe and is just doing it for fun/recreation as he's retired.
This mahogany brush with knot and shipping was $20 so as you can see he does it predominantly for fun and to cover the cost of the next knot :)

He's actually referring to buying them as 'adopting' them.
Great guy to deal with and really refreshing to see something driven by passion and not profit.
Next I'm getting one of his badger ones... ;)

Update: damn, @PickledNorthern beat me to it

He didn't have a lathe and is just doing it for fun/recreation as he's retired.
This mahogany brush with knot and shipping was $20 so as you can see he does it predominantly for fun and to cover the cost of the next knot :)

He's actually referring to buying them as 'adopting' them.
Great guy to deal with and really refreshing to see something driven by passion and not profit.
Next I'm getting one of his badger ones... ;)

Update: damn, @picklednorth beat me to it

Me too. I think I want one of his bee-hives with a 3 band.

The maker of these brushes is a retired gentleman who carves these for fun. He only did it for his own pleasure, but people started noticing them and asking to buy them. He wont sell them, but will allow you to adopt them, and only charges enough money to buy new stock so he can make more.

It is not a business. http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/

He actually has a lathe, and only recently got around to using it for brushes.

I just got one of his brushes too:

0e62eb5d78bde6eeafdb0ade51808cf3.jpeg

ecf5c4768efbc2942e24e69c4007187b.jpeg

His carving skills are impressive. I love the almost folk art feel to them. I want another one now...

His carving skills are impressive. I love the almost folk art feel to them. I want another one now...

I believe mine was sort of a hybrid. I think he turned the top part and carved out the bottom. He did make a bunch of just awesome 400's way before he ever started with the lathe, though. I agree about the folk art feel. And that Jim made it. I think it is my favorite brush. I know it sits front and center at my farm. [emoji1]

Yes when he uses his dremel.

I am not sure what your point is. He at times also uses a drill, a saw, a power sander and now a lathe. It also depends on the style of handle. On the forum he frequents, he has shown all of us how he does them. As I said before, he never went out looking to sell them, we started coming to him.

Back
Top Bottom