October 2016 Acquisitions

I am not sure what your point is. He at times also uses a drill, a saw, a power sander and now a lathe. It also depends on the style of handle. On the forum he frequents, he has shown all of us how he does them. As I said before, he never went out looking to sell them, we started coming to him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point is exactly that he uses a full range of tools to achieve his product, nothing more or less, is that definitive?

My point is exactly that he uses a full range of tools to achieve his product, nothing more or less, is that definitive?

Yes, but you seem kind of snarky, like he was selling fake artifacts by the roadside. He makes no claim of "hand carved", nor is he peddling his stuff to begin with. I'm not sure why the derision.

Sorry i think the original confusion might come from my statement that the brush was hand carved using a knife. I should have maybe clarified that he probably didn't carve out the hole for the knot using the knife. :)

I believe the lathe is a recent addition - he got it for free from someone if memory serves me right and not sure how it has been used in later brush making efforts.

Regardless, love the brush and the non-mass-produced look and process really appeals to me

My blue, friends

TJjJ4mIOCFpDkiOu7F1dGIkCkYxmT-ejEWLvNhm7O8SwlljE16mV5YfXQU2o82ULETQ0x7m-DcKwSA=w600-h800-no

Very nice. How do you like the soap?

Yes, but you seem kind of snarky, like he was selling fake artifacts by the roadside. He makes no claim of "hand carved", nor is he peddling his stuff to begin with. I'm not sure why the derision.

You make a fair point. I think the fact that the first post regarding these brushes stated they were hand carved using a knife, has caused the thread to wobble somewhat. They're nice, regardless.

I am not sure what your point is. He at times also uses a drill, a saw, a power sander and now a lathe. It also depends on the style of handle. On the forum he frequents, he has shown all of us how he does them. As I said before, he never went out looking to sell them, we started coming to him.

Ah yes I love his work in progress photos when he makes a new brush

Sorry i think the original confusion might come from my statement that the brush was hand carved using a knife. I should have maybe clarified that he probably didn't carve out the hole for the knot using the knife. :)

I believe the lathe is a recent addition - he got it for free from someone if memory serves me right and not sure how it has been used in later brush making efforts.

Regardless, love the brush and the non-mass-produced look and process really appeals to me

Glad you enjoy the gentleman's work as he as a hobbyist enjoys his projects.

Out of interest do you or @Mrchick or @PickledNorthern know what knots are being used for the Synthetic's?

Out of interest do you or @Mrchick or @PickledNorthern know what knots are being used for the Synthetic's?

The one in mine is a Tuxedo knot from APShaveCo on Etsy. I know his existing brushes have a variety of knots bought while he has tried out different things. I am sure he would do anything a guy wanted, within reason.

The Tuxedo knot is stellar! [emoji106]

OK cool, thanks, I saw the adoption page but there aren't many details on the actual knots used... how does the Maggard synthetic stack up against some of the other players?

The Maggard is a Plisson type, therefore really good. I am not enough of an expert on synthetics to differentiate between different Plisson clones based on glue bumps etc, but it performs right there with any of the 5-6 of them I have tried.

Back
Top Bottom