Option Five DE Razor

Mine was ordered 24/11/2016, shipped 27/11/, so 5 days is up to circa 2/12, and 7 days the start of next week. We get post delivered by Royal Mail on Saturdays, and none on Sundays, but most delivery companies don't deliver at all during the weekend.
I too am mighty curious about this, and will certainly say something about it when it arrives and gets used.
With photos please :)

It arrived this morning, well packed, boxed and wrapped, by Swiss Post.

First impressions:-
  • it's very shiny, especially at either end.
  • despite the high tech matte and shiny silver finishes, it gives me a slightly "feminine" impression, but whether this is because of the curvy shape, or me watching the promo where it is suggested for use by the ladies, I know not.
  • the finish is extremely uniform and seems flawless, as do the production and assembly.
  • it's heavy - 118 grams.
  • for someone like me who is used to more conventional SE and DE handle shapes, handling it is at first a bit strange, but it does fit into my grip. For those used to the various shapes of many cartridge handles, it'll probably feel quite natural. The thumb and forefinger naturally gravitate to the waisted section between the main head and the handle, and I personally feel that gripping the razor further down the handle, towards the heel, might be uncomfortable.
  • the matte finish isn't especially "grippy", but I think it's enough to give a secure feel when holding it.
  • the top cap release operates smoothly when the bullseye buttons on each side are squeezed together simultaneously, the cap springs up (if held upright) and it clicks nicely back into place in "load" mode. It seems easier, though, to hold it head downwards and let the cap drop out under gravity.
  • the cap retain/release seems to operate by two black tabs (plastic, perhaps) from either side which meet in the cap slot. These are pivoted, so pressing the buttons pulls them back outwards and the cap releases. There's a lot of precision here, to make sure the tabs operate properly and engage the cap slot.
  • it comes loaded with a gold coloured semi-sharp blade, which I guess is a practice dummy.
  • the blade gap suggests that it's a very mild razor. There is quite a steep downward angle on the safety bars.
  • the buttons are a little proud of the body top, with slight side float or play if you waggle them back and forth.
  • it's totally non-magnetic (apart from the blade).
The next thing is to try it out, which I may do tomorrow.

There is definitely a possibility of water, soapy or otherwise, entering via the release buttons and, although the slotted cap retaining tab seems to fit closely in the body receiving slot below, I suppose that it could enter that way as well. I think it's definitely a razor that may need a certain amount of TLC.

OptionFive-0001.JPG OptionFive-0002.JPG OptionFive-0007.JPG OptionFive-0008.JPG OptionFive-0009.JPG OptionFive-0010.JPG

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 42
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

• despite the high tech matte and shiny silver finishes, it gives me a slightly "feminine" impression, but whether this is because of the curvy shape, or me watching the promo where it is suggested for use by the ladies, I know not.
  • the finish is extremely uniform and seems flawless, as do the production and assembly.
  • for someone like me who is used to more conventional SE and DE handle shapes, handling it is at first a bit strange, but it does fit into my grip. For those used to the various shapes of many cartridge handles, it'll probably feel quite natural. The thumb and forefinger naturally gravitate to the waisted section between the main head and the handle, and I personally feel that gripping the razor further down the handle, towards the heel, might be uncomfortable.
  • the matte finish isn't especially "grippy", but I think it's enough to give a secure feel when holding it.
  • the top cap release operates smoothly when the bullseye buttons on each side are squeezed together simultaneously, the cap springs up (if held upright) and it clicks nicely back into place in "load" mode. It seems easier, though, to hold it head downwards and let the cap drop out under gravity.
  • the cap retain/release seems to operate by two black tabs (plastic, perhaps) from either side which meet in the cap slot. These are pivoted, so pressing the buttons pulls them back outwards and the cap releases. There's a lot of precision here, to make sure the tabs operate properly and engage the cap slot.
  • it comes loaded with a gold coloured semi-sharp blade, which I guess is a practice dummy.
  • the blade gap suggests that it's a very mild razor. There is quite a steep downward angle on the safety bars.
  • the buttons are a little proud of the body top, with slight side float or play if you waggle them back and forth.

There is definitely a possibility of water, soapy or otherwise, entering via the release buttons and, although the slotted cap retaining tab seems to fit closely in the body receiving slot below, I suppose that it could enter that way as well. I think it's definitely a razor that may need a certain amount of TLC.

Add: the box photo is a tad misleading. The silver printing is uniform silver throughout, and not two-tone or faded as it appears. My X30 played me false.

View attachment 22399 View attachment 22400 View attachment 22401 View attachment 22402 View attachment 22403 View attachment 22404 View attachment 22405

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed initial impressions. This post has made me more excited at the prospect of receiving mine next week.

Nice write up, thanks.
Bet your looking forward to tomorrow's shave.
It does look like it'll give a smooth few passes.
It looks quite chunky. Not sure if I like it TBH. Reminds me of a razor my wife used to use. Don't mean to dis you purchase, its a fine and lovely, well designed bit of kit. I do like the sexy curves.

Best angle IMO. Has got a lovely head it.

77b36312b9d1a6e876321b43ffc4dab0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up, thanks.
Bet your looking forward to tomorrow's shave.
It does look like it'll give a smooth few passes.
It looks quite chunky. Not sure if I like it TBH. Reminds me of a razor my wife used to use. Don't mean to dis you purchase, its a fine and lovely, well designed bit of kit. I do like the sexy curves.

Best angle IMO. Has got a lovely head it.

77b36312b9d1a6e876321b43ffc4dab0.jpg

Thanks. The looks are, I guess, down to the fact that it's designed or intended as a unisex DE razor. Most ladies' razors of the Nymph/Boudoir/Lady Gillette/Schick genre were intended to look dinky and ladylike, and I doubt many men, unless in dire need, would have resorted to using those razors. To my eye, this looks unisex tending to feminine, and I suspect that, if it were all in black, it would be more "macho-looking". It's certainly a novelty stand-out among my ruggedly masculine collection of SEs, DEs and Straights.

Provided that "form follows function", and it succeeds in the primary objective of delivering me a decent shave, I'll excuse its looks, and award it honorary "one of the lads" status.

View attachment 22399 View attachment 22400 View attachment 22402 View attachment 22403 View attachment 22404 View attachment 22405

Thanks for write-up and photos. I'd say it looks promising/positive (I rather like the look of the thing) so far. Curious about how it shaves though :)

Thanks for write-up and photos. I'd say it looks promising/positive (I rather like the look of the thing) so far. Curious about how it shaves though :)

It won't need much pressure, for sure. It's quite a chunky razor, which does make me wonder how it will go down as a women's shaver for those ladies not in the Rosie the Riveter league.

That, however, isn't something with which I need concern myself. More to the point is choice of blade for the first outing; Feather, maybe, or a sharp Russian. Who knows? I will seek bleary-eyed inspiration "Come the Dawn" (apologies to silent movie fans).

It won't need much pressure, for sure. It's quite a chunky razor, which does make me wonder how it will go down as a women's shaver for those ladies not in the Rosie the Riveter league.

That, however, isn't something with which I need concern myself. More to the point is choice of blade for the first outing; Feather, maybe, or a sharp Russian. Who knows? I will seek bleary-eyed inspiration "Come the Dawn" (apologies to silent movie fans).

Oh come on, have an evening shave and report back :D
First shave report is in on ATG

Last edited:
It's the first shave with this razor, and I've used a new Feather blade and OSP Bay Rum, lathered in a flat Woodhead bowl with a Zenith barbershop synthetic brush.

How it shaved for me
  • This is quite a heavy razor, and the weight and bulk are very noticeable. As expected, my grip gravitated towards the "waisted" section. The balance is fine, but holding it feels more like grasping a tool like a hammer. I don't have this feeling with other heavy razors like the brass Hone, or my Pils, and it may be down to the feel of the large oval cross-section.
  • Getting the right angle required a bit of trial and error, and reminded me of my first efforts with the Hones (both brass and aluminium models). Once I'd worked it out, shaving then commenced.
  • There's quite a lot of audible feedback, especially XTG, but very little "face feel" from the blade. On the first pass, I was wondering whether it was actually doing anything, so washed off and checked; it was, but, as usual, a couple of tricky patches needed attention. Lathered up again, and off I went to the finish.
  • As I expected, this isn't a very nimble razor to use, but that's entirely in line with the weight and shape.
  • After washing off, I felt I'd had a good, clean shave, but possibly not the closest. The alum test revealed a few patches of expected smarting, where I'd used a bit too much pressure when I thought it wasn't shaving.
  • All in all, it's a heavy but singularly non-aggressive razor to use. If you like heavy plus mild, and get the angle sorted, then it's fine. It's a bit unfair to judge "efficiency" on the first use, and I can only say that it will do the job, if you put some work and thought into it.
  • I used a Feather because the "mild razor, sharp blade" combination usually works for me, and it did so here. I think using some other less sharp blades might be hard work for unsatisfactory results.
Aftercare
  • There has been comment here, and elsewhere, about the design, and what it might require in the way of care and maintenance.
  • After a good rinsing in fresh water, both still and running, I was interested to see how much water was retained in it. Shaking it produced some drops, but it didn't seem to be awash. A few more experiments, and it struck me that, whilst there might be some water retained inside the razor, a good bit was in the space between the top cap and blade. I rinsed and shook it out again, and, on checking after about 45 minutes, there was indeed water in the blade/cap space, but none from the razor body itself.
  • I'm presuming that the inner catch and other workings are made of corrosion-resistant materials, so the main worry for me would be clogging up through swishing it about in soapy water rather than fresh. I think that with this razor I'll be careful to rinse properly in fresh water. I will then make a point of breaking it down to razor, cap and blade, and making sure those are dry (or dried). My preference would then be to store it disassembled, with the handle top-down; but, that'll be a nuisance for day to day use, so I'll likely check again for dryness, put it back together, and stand it somewhere with the head down (something I often do with my current "in-use" razor anyway).

I'll be using this razor for another couple of days, and will report back if anything else of note occurs.

It's the first shave with this razor, and I've used a new Feather blade and OSP Bay Rum, lathered in a flat Woodhead bowl with a Zenith barbershop synthetic brush.

How it shaved for me
  • This is quite a heavy razor, and the weight and bulk are very noticeable. As expected, my grip gravitated towards the "waisted" section. The balance is fine, but holding it feels more like grasping a tool like a hammer. I don't have this feeling with other heavy razors like the brass Hone, or my Pils, and it may be down to the feel of the large oval cross-section.
  • Getting the right angle required a bit of trial and error, and reminded me of my first efforts with the Hones (both brass and aluminium models). Once I'd worked it out, shaving then commenced.
  • There's quite a lot of audible feedback, especially XTG, but very little "face feel" from the blade. On the first pass, I was wondering whether it was actually doing anything, so washed off and checked; it was, but, as usual, a couple of tricky patches needed attention. Lathered up again, and off I went to the finish.
  • As I expected, this isn't a very nimble razor to use, but that's entirely in line with the weight and shape.
  • After washing off, I felt I'd had a good, clean shave, but possibly not the closest. The alum test revealed a few patches of expected smarting, where I'd used a bit too much pressure when I thought it wasn't shaving.
  • All in all, it's a heavy but singularly non-aggressive razor to use. If you like heavy plus mild, and get the angle sorted, then it's fine. It's a bit unfair to judge "efficiency" on the first use, and I can only say that it will do the job, if you put some work and thought into it.
  • I used a Feather because the "mild razor, sharp blade" combination usually works for me, and it did so here. I think using some other less sharp blades might be hard work for unsatisfactory results.
Aftercare
  • There has been comment here, and elsewhere, about the design, and what it might require in the way of care and maintenance.
  • After a good rinsing in fresh water, both still and running, I was interested to see how much water was retained in it. Shaking it produced some drops, but it didn't seem to be awash. A few more experiments, and it struck me that, whilst there might be some water retained inside the razor, a good bit was in the space between the top cap and blade. I rinsed and shook it out again, and, on checking after about 45 minutes, there was indeed water in the blade/cap space, but none from the razor body itself.
  • I'm presuming that the inner catch and other workings are made of corrosion-resistant materials, so the main worry for me would be clogging up through swishing it about in soapy water rather than fresh. I think that with this razor I'll be careful to rinse properly in fresh water. I will then make a point of breaking it down to razor, cap and blade, and making sure those are dry (or dried). My preference would then be to store it disassembled, with the handle top-down; but, that'll be a nuisance for day to day use, so I'll likely check again for dryness, put it back together, and stand it somewhere with the head down (something I often do with my current "in-use" razor anyway).

I'll be using this razor for another couple of days, and will report back if anything else of note occurs.

Thank you for such an exceptionally thorough and well written review. I look forward to adding my thoughts when I receive the razor.

How it shaved for me
Aftercare

Great and detailed review - thanks! Looking forward to trying it out myself - hopefully next week.

Back
Top Bottom