Option Five DE Razor

She will probably not like it, i am seeing her massacre herself if she uses the same technique as with her dulled Fusion Blades.
To get an impression on the swipes she does on her legs etc just magine peeling a carrot with a triangle peeler ... x2 speed [emoji33]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Onuersko posted some nice photos of his recently received razor on Instagram;
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNj5lcND3Ll/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNj5OKqjrqw/

Curious to hear his shaving-verdict tomorrow.

Hopefully you used the discount code :D
Do post your thoughts on it when you get it btw. I mean...your wife's thoughts on it.... :D

Ladies' razors and shaving are a bit of a mystery to me, but since getting this one, I've been pondering its use by the gentle sex.

Given that all the ladies razors I've seen (SE, DE, cartridge, ancient and modern) appear to have been designed around the main requirement of lightness, I would have supposed that the size and weight of this would be of limited appeal. My wife definitely wouldn't like it.

But I digress.

Day 2 with the OptionFive, using Vergulde Hand in my Watergaw bowl with an L7 Cadman silvertip.

Again, a satisfactory result, and a conviction that this must be one of, if not the, mildest of any modern razors I've got. However, in the course of the post-shave razor clean, I tested the edges on the Feather blade. Either I've developed an incredibly thick skin overnight, or this blade is more blunt after just one use than it should be. I'll be using a fresh Nacet blade tomorrow.

One of the really neat things about this is the way the cap snaps on so crisply and locks into position. It may sound obvious, but removing it does need both release buttons to be pressed simultaneously, and with equal pressure. If you don't, then it won't always come off first time.

The only beef I have with it is that it won't fit in any of the holes in my home-made mahogany razor racks, including the oversize ones for Digress/Mergress. Carpentry day, today.

An email from John at OptionFive has just arrived, regarding blades. I quote: -

"Dear customer,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Option Five.

You are about to recieve your first razor and we want you to have the best shaving experience as possible. As you may know, we are developping a new coating in order to make our blades more resistant. To be completely honest, the blades still need some adjustments to provide the best shave. Thus, when you try your Option Five razor for the first time you might want to use your favorite blades and enjoy a good shave.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you with some feedback.

Happy shaving.

Kind regards,

Your Option Five team"

From this, it would seem that the gold blade supplied with the razor is actually a blade that OF will be offering, once they iron out any snags.

It arrived this morning, well packed, boxed and wrapped, by Swiss Post.

First impressions:-
  • it's very shiny, especially at either end.
  • despite the high tech matte and shiny silver finishes, it gives me a slightly "feminine" impression, but whether this is because of the curvy shape, or me watching the promo where it is suggested for use by the ladies, I know not.
  • the finish is extremely uniform and seems flawless, as do the production and assembly.
  • it's heavy - 118 grams.
  • for someone like me who is used to more conventional SE and DE handle shapes, handling it is at first a bit strange, but it does fit into my grip. For those used to the various shapes of many cartridge handles, it'll probably feel quite natural. The thumb and forefinger naturally gravitate to the waisted section between the main head and the handle, and I personally feel that gripping the razor further down the handle, towards the heel, might be uncomfortable.
  • the matte finish isn't especially "grippy", but I think it's enough to give a secure feel when holding it.
  • the top cap release operates smoothly when the bullseye buttons on each side are squeezed together simultaneously, the cap springs up (if held upright) and it clicks nicely back into place in "load" mode. It seems easier, though, to hold it head downwards and let the cap drop out under gravity.
  • the cap retain/release seems to operate by two black tabs (plastic, perhaps) from either side which meet in the cap slot. These are pivoted, so pressing the buttons pulls them back outwards and the cap releases. There's a lot of precision here, to make sure the tabs operate properly and engage the cap slot.
  • it comes loaded with a gold coloured semi-sharp blade, which I guess is a practice dummy.
  • the blade gap suggests that it's a very mild razor. There is quite a steep downward angle on the safety bars.
  • the buttons are a little proud of the body top, with slight side float or play if you waggle them back and forth.
  • it's totally non-magnetic (apart from the blade).
The next thing is to try it out, which I may do tomorrow.

There is definitely a possibility of water, soapy or otherwise, entering via the release buttons and, although the slotted cap retaining tab seems to fit closely in the body receiving slot below, I suppose that it could enter that way as well. I think it's definitely a razor that may need a certain amount of TLC.

What an excellent write up. Thank you for posting.

Onuresko on IG have more amazing razors than I could ever dream of to own and to see his post today about the Option Five razor is making me really antsy to get mine! :)
"Yes again the same razor. Can´t remember when it was the last time that i used the same razor twice in a row. The razor left a very good impresion on me."

Any idea for a not too expensive brush to go along with it to be used on legs etc?[emoji51]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

How about their own badger brush? ;-)
fpb95z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom