R A Rooney

Does this company still exist and make Rooney brushes in the UK? It was bought by Lee Sabini but the set up now seems to be a bit of a mystery. I am trying to piece together something about UK Shaving brush makers for my blog and I've come to a dead end on Rooney information.

I'm afraid the only thing out there is the general spiel found on many sites.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.styleandgrooming.com/history-rooneys.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.styleandgrooming.com/history-rooneys.php</a><!-- m -->

How odd. One of the legendary names and no one seems to know what is going on. Their website cannot be accessed. The Rooney brand is still being sold. Someone in America - VintageBlades - claims this year to have been in weekly touch with Lee Sabibini, the owner. Says that there are lots of delays in email responses. Rumours abound about where any Rooney brushes are now being made. Very difficult for us researchers.

Perhaps if anyone learns something they will post here.

I bought mine from British Hall, might be worth emailing them and asking if they have some info for you.

Yeah, and why the heck can't we buy these brushes easily in the UK?

Executive Shaving and Charles Nicholls seem to be the only UK vendors and I think they are affiliated. They never respond to my genuine enquiries about their Rooney brushes.

Such a shame - you'd think these companies would pride themselves on customer service.

John

I'm beginning to feel like an investigative journalist.

I have spoken to British Hall. Lee Sabini continues to operate Rooney and supplies brushes under that name through a very limited number of web sites. He also supplies brushes sold under other brand names. Truefitt and Hill, Castle Forbes and some Kent brushes for example. The brushes are no longer made in the London area. No one can confirm where they are made.

I'm still on the case.

When you see this on a website, it creates an image emphasising tradition and an unchanging method of production:

R. A. Rooney Shaving Brushes
The World's Oldest Maker of Premium Quality Brushes
R. A. Rooney & Sons Ltd., London
The World's Oldest Maker of Premium Quality Shaving Brushes

Still being made today using the same proven and time-honored methods that they have employed since the late 17th Century, R. A. Rooney has long been the choice of those who demand only the very best.

It would be good to have some evidence of where and how Rooney brushes are now made.

Good show, PI Fido. I checked the Bishopsgate address a while ago on street view and found nothing.

Does TGS stock Rooney's?, it would be interesting to know what company name they operate under.

They must have to send invoices at least.

I'm waiting for this to appear on YouTube.... "Fido, PI".

Of course he'd have to grow a dodgy looking tash and wear sunglasses full time.

800px-Magnum_scene.jpg

Fido, PI - on the trail of Rooney brushes, earlier today.

The plot thickens!

Inspector Fido rang Truefitt and Hill today asking them to confirm that their brushes are made by Lee Sabini operating as R A Rooney. No comment. Someone would ring me back. Not heard anymore.
Rang Kent brushes with the same question. Was asked to write.

The Gentleman's Shop does not stock Rooney brushes.

This is the Rooney website:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rarooney.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rarooney.com/</a><!-- m -->

I cannot say I'm really bothered. I would be if I wanted to buy a Rooney brush. I would then like to know who made it, where and how - if they claim to be making it the same way as in the past three hundred years.

And all I want to do is to include a post about UK brush makers in my blog.

I've just spoken to a well-known English brush maker and he says Rooney are buying their brushes in from abroad, specifically China. (He didn't want to be quoted but you'd know the very brand if I named it.)

But apparently they still say Made In England . . .? If that's true then it's very poor. :(

Complete brushes or knots? Knots/hair are definitely sourced in China, they all are. You'll probably find that just putting on the Rooney stamp is enough to qualify them for being " Made in the UK".

Brushes was what the Man said; maybe assembling handles & knots would count but I don;t think badging up fully made brush with Made In England is very good. Of course, he may not be doing that.

Back
Top Bottom