Razorock Hawk

Are you sure it was UPS? Mine came via USPS which hands off to RM at Heathrow. Anything coming from the USA at the moment will attract customs attention - the collapse of the pound and the consequent lifting of normal items into VAT ensures they are watching like a (ahem!) hawk.
TO be honest until I go to the sorting office tomorrow I've no idea what the charge is for. But if that is VAT then £12 on a $20 item doesn't add up. I've looked on the gov.uk website and found a form to claim back incorrectly applied duty on imported items. Depending on the charge I'll be filling it in.

How the hell can Royal Mail justify charging £8 the f****rs? I suppose you can always negotiate with a US seller to have a fit of amnesia as to value when filling out customs declaration so it comes under £10 limit and ask them to send invoice by email. Not that I would encourage you to cheat the revenue lol.

@globalm what do you mean "collapse of pound and lifting normal items into VAT.

Royal Mail postman has just posted a card to say it's at the sorting office and needs a £12 payment. Why hasn't UPS delivered it? Sounds like a nice little monopoly going in. Pay twice for postage! Won't be buying anything else, never had this problem ordering electronics from China.

Yea I think twice now before ordering from the US. I don't actually object to paying VAT but I do object to being fleeced by Royal Mail: that's privatization for you I guess: charges going up like billy-o

Although mine are on the way, I thought I'd see what the stock level looks like this Monday morning. Naturally, it's "Sold Out".

I think the plan is for IB to keep producing these, at least for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if they achieve some rarity value, although obviously not as much as the discontinued chrome version. I haven't seen any timing for the availability of the natural anodised model.

So I ordered a Black Hawk because I just really don't care for chrome. I figured I would just sell the chrome one, since they are no more, and people are looking for them. I got the black one today, and all was fine. I had a little wax lubricant on the threads of the chrome one so I figured I would clean it up a little before I boxed it. I tossed it in my little electro static cleaner and..... it bubbled up the chrome plating. So the moral of the story is:

Be gentle with your Hawks. The plating is what one might expect for twenty bucks. [emoji1]

So I ordered a Black Hawk because I just really don't care for chrome. I figured I would just sell the chrome one, since they are no more, and people are looking for them. I got the black one today, and all was fine. I had a little wax lubricant on the threads of the chrome one so I figured I would clean it up a little before I boxed it. I tossed it in my little electro static cleaner and..... it bubbled up the chrome plating. So the moral of the story is:

Be gentle with your Hawks. The plating is what one might expect for twenty bucks. [emoji1]

Yikes that sucks - but, thanks for the warning!

I'm not exactly surprised, although you do of course have my sympathy. I wrote somewhere else in the forum that,a propos the chrome razor, I had unfortunate experiences with chrome over aluminium, with razors and especially with cycle parts. On some of these, the plating had let go on edges, and could be peeled off in sheets.

If they produce one in a silver anodised finish (like Standard and Colonial razors, for instance) it will be more durable.

As an aside, your terrible experience points up the need for careful examination and a kid-glove gentle approach when cleaning and reviving old plated razors.

I'm not exactly surprised, although you do of course have my sympathy. I wrote somewhere else in the forum that,a propos the chrome razor, I had unfortunate experiences with chrome over aluminium, with razors and especially with cycle parts. On some of these, the plating had let go on edges, and could be peeled off in sheets.

If they produce one in a silver anodised finish (like Standard and Colonial razors, for instance) it will be more durable.

As an aside, your terrible experience points up the need for careful examination and a kid-glove gentle approach when cleaning and reviving old plated razors.

I'll just be putting my chrome one back in its little box. Use the blackhawk and sell the chrome one in a couple of years as a collectible.

Back
Top Bottom