Recommend me a face scrub

Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel exfoliating wash in a big-ish tube. Usually on a 3for2 together with their tea tree and WH toner/splash...

Burgundy said:
The missus studies dermatology and is heavily into beauty/cosmetic products, and she's critical of abrasive 'scrubs' like St. Ives.

What are her findings re the effects of dragging sharpened metal across the skin every morning compared to a twice-a-week face scrub?

joe mcclaine said:
Burgundy said:
The missus studies dermatology and is heavily into beauty/cosmetic products, and she's critical of abrasive 'scrubs' like St. Ives.

What are her findings re the effects of dragging sharpened metal across the skin every morning compared to a twice-a-week face scrub?
Do you regularly shave your forehead, nose and around the eyes?

Whatever works for you, Vinny. I couldn't possibly suggest otherwise. Nor could I care less.

Burgundy said:

Of course he does.

werewolf_of_london_portrait_b.jpg

:icon_razz:

barlines said:
Burgundy said:
As a serious answer, I prefer gentle daily exfoliation via hot-cloth cleansing; i.e. with a soft flannel or muslin and whichever face soap you prefer. The missus studies dermatology and is heavily into beauty/cosmetic products, and she's critical of abrasive 'scrubs' like St. Ives. I happily use soap that's marketed for women - skin's skin after all - so I'd probably recommend either this, this or this 'cleanser' - going from least to most expensive.

Thanks for that - interesting stuff, does your missus subscribe to the theory that mens skin is different to womens or is that just the marketing machine making money (Don't burst my bubble on this one as I'd hate to hear its true enough to make any difference!) I only use a scrub maybe once or twice a month at most, but when I need to buy scrub I feel pain as I'm a tight Northerner who needs to move South apparently :icon_razz:
I haven't had the chance to ask her as, because of my work, we've had to go 'long distance'. Our skin is somewhat different in a few ways I believe, but I'm a teachwr and not a biologist, so I daren't take a stab at hashing up the science. I vaguely remember from my time at school that there's a correlation between our concoction of certain hormones and collagen amounts/density (thicker skin?) and sebum production (oilier skin). Notwithstanding the obvious fact that we grow considerable facial hair while the majority of women - thankfully - do not. That said, I still don't think there's a reason to shy away from womens' products. There is presumably far more investment put into R&D on their end, our skin exhibits the same traits as theirs (dry, oily, combination etc) and I've heard of a.few instances where beauty companies market mens' products which are the exact same potion but dressed up in a different coloured package and with a more 'masculine' scent. No doubt 'sea minerals'.

Burgundy said:

Whatever works for you, Vinny. I couldn't possibly suggest otherwise. Nor could I care less.

Outstanding.

:icon_rolleyes:

It was a genuine question, so can't really understand the attitude in the (non)answer.

/ignore list

Burgundy said:
I happily use soap that's marketed for women - skin's skin after all

Unless the skin is near the eyes, the forehead or the nose?

i'm a clinique devotee recently. I suffer from very oily and spot prone skin, even at the age of 31!!

A girl at the clinique counter got me on to a few products and they have completely transformed the way I think about my skin and how i treat it. Before that i'd tried a lot of the cheaper face washes, scrubs etc from boots and even from the likes of l'oreal etc. The clinique stuff is head and shoulders better. It makes my skin clean without drying it, keeps my oil issue under control etc.

What i'm basically saying is... i believe good skincare costs money. It doesnt have to cost the earth, but £17 for an exfoliant you'll use maybe every second day, and will last you 2-3 months, is not a lot of money. Not when it works. I've used the one you mention, as i got it in a sample set, and it's excellent. i use it once a week to just freshen up my skin.

Don't go cheap on your skin! :)

The Boots No7 product is a decent scrub, and often on 3 for 2 or similar offer. More expensive isn't necessarily better in skincare. Sodium laureth sulfate is still sodium laureth sulfate, and glycerin is still glycerin, whether your product costs £5, £15 or £50.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2010/05/13/7-ways-you-waste-money-when-buying-beauty-products/
http://thebeautybrains.com/2012/05/02/do-salon-products-use-better-quality-ingredients/

Just back from Tesco who are promoting "treaclemoon" body scrub. I chose "my coconut island" - I think there were a couple of others - for £1.99 for 225ml. Made in UK. I suspect they used sharp sand instead of fine as it is a body scrub, though it worked fine well on my face and head - just a tad sharper than I expected. Coconut scent develops quickly - along with a whiff of caramel.

Refreshing cleanse after the supermarket made better with a splash of 4711.

Boots Botanics - fairly heavy in texture
Real Shaving Co - a bit heavy in texture
Edwin Jagger - very mild, a slight caramel aroma
Groomed (ASDA) - a nice one, slight minty aroma
Nivea - fairly neutral
King of Shaves - good
Superdrug - very mild, slightly minty
Gillette - a bit clinical.

Burgundy said:
A flannel!

Another Fitjar product:

I use this called Nyasha black soap 90g bar, pre-shave facial cleansing / scuba.
part of my daily routine, again this is £17.00p but it last's approx 4 months.

Charles U.K

Bit late in responding but recently I have started using glycerin soap from Muji paired with a muslin cloth (got the idea from the Liz Earle hot scrub "solution"). I think that Superdrug sell muslin cloths very reasonably and the Muji soaps (I got a small travel version to test) are less than £1

http://www.superdrug.com/face/superdrug-muslin-cloth/invt/498858/
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=17&Sub=72&PID=918

For that money it's worth a try isn't it? If nothing else the soap is really nice as a hand soap....

Jon

Facescrub = Shampoo

If you need to "peel" that part of the face that does not meet a blade every day, a flannel will do wonders.

If you need to wash you face with an "exfoliator" before shaving, I agree with Vinny, what is the effect of the blade?

My regimen this is.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom