Royal Mail

Had to reject an ebay item this week, an irregular shaped piece of metalware that the seller had just lobbed into a jiffy bag. It had punched through the envelope in places and got a bit bent up too. Most problems are just down to dumb packaging rather than any fault of RM.

Well I was asking for trouble and have since had two items go missing in the postal system. Both were metal items sent by eBay sellers. Posties had recorded 'Delivery Refused' and supposedly returned to my local office for collection. This was bull because I'm away at work so there was no-one at home to refuse delivery. No card left, so there was a delay before I established with the sellers that there was a problem. Items nowhere to be found at the depot..

I live in a small community of about 2500 souls, with just one road in and out. We have a mailman allocated on a daily/weekly basis from the nearest town. During my 30+ years here the mail has been at best abysmal. Recently I had 13 letters delivered one morning, one of which was for me and the rest for neighbours. Just last week I bought a razor and had it sent to me signed for delivery. I arrived home from work to find it on my front doorstep and when I checked online a forged signature for delivery. Been complaining for 30+ years and it does no good at all :(

I had been "hitting the gym" in order to catch my postman...he knocks..I sprint door bound...and he's gone. The small "we called but you were out card" still vibrating in the letterbox. I look up the street and there's normally a trail of fire down the road.
A powerful experience for any man I can tell you. Here in Norway the service seems a bit more efficient...like you may actually get a package.

I have a shrine in my bedroom to Hermes the God of posties which I pray to for safe delivery of anything I buy or send.

Last edited:
I used Hermes to post a golf club. They use self employed couriers. The idiot I got left it on the front step for all to see. Luckily the persons neighbour brought it in and gave it to the recipient when he got home. It could just have easily been lifted. It isn't just RM.

Awful service, I'm awaiting a package from the UK, here's the tracking status -

23/04/16 10:53 SENT AT POST OFFICE 4 Roding Lane So IG4 5NX

I'm getting mail from Sweden, Germany and France in a few days. Mail from Taiwan in a week. Mail from the UK, often weeks.

Going ATG here, I have parcels coming from the US, Canada, France and Germany to name some of them, for the last 5 years I have sent a minimum of 20 parcels every week mainly UK but often anywhere from France to Greece and I have had one package go astray. The "missing" parcel was from me to a mate who lived 20 miles away. Always had fantastic service both sending and receiving.

My latest parcel arrived today - 2nd class mail - only took a whopping 2 weeks to get from a post office in England to my Northern Ireland postal address. It'll come from Northern Ireland to my home address in the Republic overnight via private courier for a fixed €4 fee. I use this system when purchasing fragrances from the UK due to the mailing restrictions.

The joys of it all.

Back
Top Bottom