S.O.T.D Saturday 1 November to Friday 7 November 2014

fancontroller said:
Soap: Grandstaff Grapefruit & Gardenia

Great lather, and smells like fruit juice thrown in the face then slapped in the mush with a bunch of flowers; lovely.
Is yours as soft as mine? More like a cream than a soap?
Incidentally, I'm in contact with Travis through Facebook. He's doing another run of soaps... ;)

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: CRSW Select Sandalwood
Brush: RubberSet-400 replica / 26mm TGN 2-band Finest
Razor: Ikon Deluxe SB
Blade: Astra blue SS (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT

Wow! Broke in the new knot last night with some test-lathers and it's really bloomed/softened. Soap is very slick/stable lather and the Pen's Opus is just great. Splendid shave!
IMG_20141104_063411.jpg

Re: RE: S.O.T.D Saturday 1 November to Friday 7 November 2014

Mr_Smartepants said:
fancontroller said:

Great lather, and smells like fruit juice thrown in the face then slapped in the mush with a bunch of flowers; lovely.
Incidentally, I'm in contact with Travis through Facebook. He's doing another run of soaps... ;)

Soap: CRSW Select Sandalwood
Brush: RubberSet-400 replica / 26mm TGN 2-band Finest
Razor: Ikon Deluxe SB
Blade: Astra blue SS (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT

Wow! Broke in the new knot last night with some test-lathers and it's really bloomed/softened. Soap is very slick/stable lather and the Pen's Opus is just great. Splendid shave!
IMG_20141104_063411.jpg

2 band looks splendid Erik [emoji3]

Mr_Smartepants said:
fancontroller said:

Yes, this one was basically a cream; I even think it might have gone softer since I bought it several months ago. It doesn't look good at all, a bit like yellow chicken fat, but performance is wonderful. I preferred his older (harder) soaps, had a kind of cocoa buttery background scent.
Great that Travis is still in business. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

1964 rebranded Macys flopmeister good with creams
'Webly'/Sheffield Super Stainless (vintage NOS)
DR Harris Marlborough SC
Malizia Vetyver AS also used as a splash cologne

I ran across some US made old blades a while back and will try one sometimes. Yeah, the version used today is a Yanker company with that Limey name. Interestingly,the back says 'dispenser made in Gt Britain'.

It's pretty darn good and it's the first of a 10 pack so it'll be a nice change of pace blade for sure.

Boy I can get spoiled whipping up my lather with this cream. It's got an crazy forgiving nature and takes no time at all. Plus, I have always liked this understated slightly dry woodsy scent. Sigh, I may have to buy the soap again.

BBS results,

Martin

Soap: Reef Point "Calming Spice"
Brush: Bethlehem olivewood handle, 24mm Pur-Tech synthetic
Razor: Ikon OSS
Blade: Astra green SP (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by HTGAM "Cold Spice"
First time with this soap and wow is it slick. Nearly as slick as Stirling (slickest I've tried) but much easier to build lather. Scent is powerful, no way this would get EU certification. No skin sensitivity despite the strong cinnamon/spice scent. Paired well with the "Cold Spice".
IMG_20141104_193702.jpg

Prep- Hot water splash
Soap- Jabonman Ylang Ylang/Pachuli/Naranja
Brush- SOC
Razor- Ever Ready Jewel
Blade- Feather [5]
Post- Miller & Harris Citron Citron AS

Good Morning! I can not sing the praises of this Soapmaker high enough, superb product. Swept away two days growth effortlessly.

Birthday shave today!

Cella
Custom rubberset style big boar
Steve woodhead scuttle
ATT kronos with R1 plate
La toja locion
Boss edt

3 pass bbs. Lovely shave. And I treated myself to 3 of Nanny's soaps. Winner!

Wednesday November 5, 2014

Wednesday November 5, 2014

183769d1415185455-sun-november-02nd-sat-november-08th-sotd-05112014.jpg

Traveling with a Mastro Livi Damasteel Ladder

This time I am traveling with two Mastro Livi straight razor: Grifetto and this Damasteel Ladder. They are both magnificent shavers, I love Grifetto but I admit the pattern of this Damasteel ladder is absolutely fascinating. As for the shave, it shaves absolutely great and I love the feedback Damasteel provides in shaving: it is more aggressive than Grifetto while providing the very same smooth and deep shave. After all, it is a Mastro Livi...​

• Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream
  • Soap: Aquagena Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 89
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Damasteel Ladder, 6/8 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum Aftershave

fancontroller said:
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: SM Novella pre-shave
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Razor: Gen Junior Bar + globalneedz handle
Blade: Gem (6)
After: Brut AS, Limes Skin Food

The Gem razor feels right with this stubby handle (75mm x 15mm). I checked the hollow handle afterwards and some water had leaked in through the neck so I'm going to fill the cavity with silicone sealant.

Have a great day, folks.

SOTD141104_zps32baa1c9.jpg

I hate you! Now I want a Gem Junior Bar!!!! :)

Wednesday

Afternoon, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Treet Durasharp (5)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Palmolive
Aftershave: Hai Karate
Cologne:

Back
Top Bottom