Greetings

Tuesday 14th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop (Canadian)
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated Modiffied
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A poor old shave, three weepers and I nicked the large mole I have on my cheek.
This Canadian version of the Autostrop is a whole lot more aggressive than any of the other models I have, the blade just sits so much nearer to the comb, in fact it is quite a bit more aggressive than an OCMM.

Notwithstanding those excuses I generally manage to make a fist of it, but today's shave just all went wrong........reason; user error, almost certainly heavy handedness.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04304.JPG

Tuesday

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
Arko stick face lathered
New forest 1901 brush
Merkur progress 3.5
Gillette yellow (3)
Witch hazel
Musgo real no3 as

When it's good it is good!!

3rd day with an Astra SP blade, and I had some weepers plus a small cut; a bit disappointing. My Personna Red blades haven't bitten me that hard yet.

My shave today:

Wash and rinse with regular Palmolive soap
Lather with De Vergulde Hand shaving stick and Vero boar brush
Shave with Gillette Rocket HD, and Astra SP blade
Touch up with De Vergulde Hand alum block
After shave with Sanex Sensitive

Morning all,

Warm shower prep
Proraso Green Pre/Post
Ingrams (Cream of week)
Gillette Super Adjustable (R3)
Personna Lab Blue (3)
Refinery Post Shave Balm
Cacherel Pour L'Homme EdT

Another excellent 3 pass, these blades are amazing !. Still very smooth and sharp.

Last night's (13/05):

MRGLO
iKon OSS (kindly borrowed from a generous member)
Astra SP (3)
Ingram Shave Cream
Shaving.ie Silvertip
Superdrug Sierran Breeze A/S

I always wondered what was so special about the razors that broke the £100 mark. Well now I know! The only word that I can think of to describe it is "elegant". It looks really neat and tidy, with thin sharp lines and an almost tech-like profile. But it sure does work wonders on the face!

I have described a coupled of razors as giving "unintentional BBS" shaves. But this really defined that phrase for me. I swear I didn't think it was cutting at all on the OC side for my first pass until I felt my face afterwards and I could easily have left it after the one pass.

I went for another one though with the SB side and ended up with zero weepers and, for the first time in ages, absolutely zero rawness - and all with a blade I'd used twice before!

The Ingram's/ Sierran Breeze combo (thanks to JFW for pointing out the price reduction) was amazingly "bracing"!

In short, if everyone that questions our sanity when talking about shaving could experience the shave I had last night, there would be no business in these new fusion razors at all!

Monday night

Razor : EJ DE86
Blade : Personna Lab Blue
Soap : Mitchells Wool Fat
Brush : C&E Super Badger
Splash : Proraso

Was going to join in Ingrams week but I've been using that a lot lately and haven't used the MWF in a very long time. Great shave and loads of lather, enough for 2 more passes i recokon.

first time using the Personna Lab Blue blade - very nice shave overall. No shave tonight as I'm off on the beers so will have a couple of days growth. May need to try the Lab Blue in the R41 next just to see how it feels like in that.

Today's Shave

imagejixt.jpg

6/8 Le Dandy
Kent BK8 Brush
NSS Arabian Nights Suribachi Bowl Lathered

Results BSS WTG

The First Straight Razor shave of the year :D:D

Just incase you thought I was winding you up about my Co2, winchester styled Rifle here it is enjoy.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Ingram (soap of the week)
Bowl: Collapsible Dog Bowl
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Razor: EJ DE89L with Bulldog handle (shimmed)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock green (3)
After: Witch hazel, Barbershop Bay Rum, Coral Skin Food, Tabac ASB

Ingram Week Day 2

Ingrams makes me value the feeling I have in my face between shaves.

I think I'm getting used to this cream, maybe it's anaesthetic resilience, but it didn't seem as intense today. I found the same when I first used Proraso pre-shave; at first I thought it way too strong but nowadays I hardly notice it.

Testing my silicone collapsible bowl in prep for holidays proved to require a lot more lather effort without the ridges of Woodhead's bowl, but got there in the end.

My synthetic brush actually out-performed the badger brush from yesterday; another item for the travel-bag.

Result: Comfortable shave plus a bit of non-menthol from the Tabac ASB

SOTD20130514_zps1ae7a33a.jpg

Yesterday,

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: My Grosvenor/TGN finest fan
Soap: Dutch moss
Razor: Feather AC/ pro guard. 5
A/S: Barbershop Bay rum
Balm: Trumpers skin food Coral.

Today.

Prep: Hot flannel
Brush: My Grosvenor/TGN finest fan
Soap: T&T Lavender Cream.
Razor: Feather AC / Pro guard (1)
A/S: Barbershop Bay rum
Balm: Trumpers skin food Coral.

I'm enjoying learning so much I have had a couple of concurrent daily shaves, normally only shave every other day.
Decided to try a new blade today after using the last one for 5 shaves. Yesterdays shave was a little tuggy and wanted to see if a change in blade made a difference, or whether angle or technique was at fault.
Both shaves where excellent, Just working out the best way to get to certain areas in certain directions.
Very Smooth and irritation free.

Prep: Shower
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 1 Best Badger
Razor: Mann & Federlein 17 'Mannos' 8/8" full hollow
Cream: Castle Forbes Lime
Astringent: Osma Alum
Aftershave: Speick
Eau de Toilette: Penhaligon's Castile

SOTD-13-05-14_zps6472a46d.jpg

Notes: Smooth and almost irritation-free shave.

Tuesday 05-14-13.

11cac561-8e9c-4455-abc0-3bc1ffece099.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Semogue SOC two bands - Feather all stainless - Gillette 7 O'clock yellow #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Calani Cadre Noir - Alum block - Thayers Original Aloe Vera - ASB Korres - ASL Aubrey Organics City Rhythms.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
Simpson's Colonel X2L brush, T&H 1805 cream
EJ De89 (with shim)/Weber polished, Personna Med Prep (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post shave healer

Thought I'd try out the De89 with a shim (and Bulldog handle)... didn't really suit me at all and very nicky on my neck (???). Swiched to the Weber Polished for some extensive touch-ups and salvaged a creditable shave. No more shims for me then! I'll have to try out the De89 (sans shim) and work out why I thought a shim would be necessary in the first place. It was always a decent enough razor but I think I might have just moved slightly up the aggressive scale in the last few months (well... Fatboy settings have gone from 5 to 7)

Back
Top Bottom