S.O.T.D Saturday 14th October - Friday 20th October 2017

SOTMD (Shave of the Midday);

F5ACA167-BCC3-452A-B4D1-3354A9D4B675.jpg

6C (#5) :: 7 O'clock Yellow :: RR Barbershop Blue :: BC Synth :: Floïd Suave

4 new acquisitions used in one go, I think that's a record! Set the Rockwell to #5 plate, given my experiences with the 6S previously and set to work with a brand new Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, courtesy of @Boru62. Nice and sharp! Coupling the brush (letting the side down by not being new, ha!) with the RazoRock Barbershop Blue (cheers again @ajc347) gave some quick and slick lather. Very easy to lather and a nice citrus-barbershop scent, akin to the Floïd offerings but more citrusy up top. Two very quick passes easily reduced 2 days' growth and left me mostly smooth. The area I didn't get smooth is a problem area and I think I now know why... the mirror I use is in the corner of the room, light only reaches it from one side and I can't look too far to the right without double vision, following a rugby injury several years ago! I, therefore, can't see whether the stubble has gone or not! Hence, I can't seem to get my angles entirely optimal for that area! Either way, I'm smart enough and chucked on some Floïd Suave to finish up, with no burn whatsoever. The Floïd is now in the process of steeping some menthol crystals for some added pzaz! :D All up, a good pairing of blade, razor and soap! Far preferred the 6C to the 6S, strangely!

Alllrriiightttyyy, who's next?!

831_F0752_2_AF1_4_EEF_BD2_A_2_C9_AF81_BDE55.jpg

SOTD

Valobra shave stick
MÜHLE 25mm Synth
MÜHLE Rocca
MÜHLE blade
4711 Aftershave

Lovely shave although the clogging problem returned today after thinking I sussed it yesterday... I can also confirm MÜHLE DE blades are not that great (in the Rocca at least) they go downhill very quickly after one shave! 4711 Aftershave is lovely and a massive bargain at £6.50 odd.

wIPXK02w_o.jpg

Razorock 400
Schick Krona
Schick Platinum Plus (8)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Coconut Oud
Thayers Rose, Myrsol Emulsion & Ard Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours

A day off yesterday so two days growth impressively mowed down by the blade on it's 8th shave. No signs of slowing down either, perhaps I can push it beyond 10 shaves. In general one of the best shaves I have had. No issues at all. I love this soap, such a pleasure to use and the EDP is wonderful.

Friday 20th October
Wickham 1912 – Classic 24
Yaqi Tuxedo – Sagrada Familia
Focus R48 (ATG Pass-around)
½ Shark Super Stainless #1
Alum Wash
Tabac A/S
Baylis & Harding wild rose & raspberry Moisturiser
rRi2sTe.jpg

After figuring how to use the razor, I got a close result with no drama, so the plaster was unnecessary. The razor needs much more pressure to achieve a close finish. The same type of technique needed for the Gillette Guard disposable. I also needed an extra pass get the final result. The one thing I didn't like was the 'clicking' sound of the pivot. It really annoyed me.
I know from this shave the Focus is not for me, however will try it again with a different blade and soap. See you then.

Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Semogue 1470
Soap: La Toja Stick
Razor: Gem MMOC
Blade: Gem Blue Star

IMG_20171020_151804.jpg
I like using a DE but for me, a good SE is just smoother and more efficient, and this is a very good SE.
Ms Jackson's shaving products were, as usual, very good. Let's hope this project keeps her out of the recording studio. ;):p

wIPXK02w_o.jpg

Razorock 400
Schick Krona
Schick Platinum Plus (8)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Coconut Oud
Thayers Rose, Myrsol Emulsion & Ard Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours

A day off yesterday so two days growth impressively mowed down by the blade on it's 8th shave. No signs of slowing down either, perhaps I can push it beyond 10 shaves. In general one of the best shaves I have had. No issues at all. I love this soap, such a pleasure to use and the EDP is wonderful.
+ 1 on the Ard Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours, this is my Favourite EDP, for it's price it's outstandingly brilliant..Superb stuff.;)

Fri 20th Oct.
RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
OSP Bay Rum
Alu. Hawk / Windrose Handle
Feather Pro ( 3 )
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Pitralon Polar A/S lotion

I find the performance of this light Razor improved by the addition of a S/S Handle.The Shave is smooth and comfortable, as the head seems to allow subtle changes of the cutting angle to adjust the contour of the area to be shaved. The Shave today was very easy and it was good to be rewarded with a good close Shave from such an inexpensive product.

IMG_0030.jpg

Gebr. Lang were a well known purveyor of straight razors in the 1920s, but I've been no more successful in placing this razor in the company's catalog than the poster who (foolishly) sold it to me. The head may be generic German Old Type (?) but the handle is beautifully inlaid with some kind of ceramic mosaic. It shaves great, with a Nacet in its third shave i managed my head shave in just 1+ pass. It's quite toothy, and if I were to guess I'd say it has a bit greater exposure than the Gillette. Even so, buffing ATG in the moustache area was easily accomplished. I won't be selling this razor :) .
dbc630acb20d1df566d00f320cde9977.jpg
593d71f23de498fb3ab6c6647b467091.jpg
64ba48084b4c9a7b001560db07ae2bcb.jpg

Last edited:
Gebr. Lang were a well known purveyor of straight razors in the 1920s, but I've been no more successful in placing this razor in the company's catalog than the poster who (foolishly) sold it to me. The head may be generic German Old Type (?) but the handle is beautifully inlaid with some kind of ceramic mosaic. It shaves great, with a Nacet in its third shave i managed my head shave in just 1+ pass. It's quite toothy, and if I were to guess I'd say it has a bit greater exposure than the Gillette. Even so, buffing ATG in the moustache area was easily accomplished. I won't be selling this razor :) .
dbc630acb20d1df566d00f320cde9977.jpg
593d71f23de498fb3ab6c6647b467091.jpg
64ba48084b4c9a7b001560db07ae2bcb.jpg

Exquisite, simply exquisite!

SOTD 201017
SOTD 201017 3.jpg
Blade: Proline #4
Razor: Feather SS Japanese style
Soap: Cyril R Salter Wild Rose
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2band
Edt. Attar Sandal Rose

A much better attempt this afternoon with the Feather. A special thank you goes out to @culcreuch for his time and valuable tuition with this razor.
A 2 pass attempt without any claret spilled.:cool:
DFS and I am one happy bunny.

Excellent brush whipped up the soap. The soap reminds me of Turkish Delight. Lovely scent.

Enjoy your shaves Gents.

Friday 20th October
Alum Wash
Tabac A/S
rRi2sTe.jpg

After figuring how to use the razor, I got a close result with no drama, so the plaster was unnecessary. The razor needs much more pressure to achieve a close finish. The same type of technique needed for the Gillette Guard disposable. I also needed an extra pass get the final result. The one thing I didn't like was the 'clicking' sound of the pivot. It really annoyed me.
I know from this shave the Focus is not for me, however will try it again with a different blade and soap. See you then.
When/If you decide to sell the focus I'll be waiting like a vulture

Friday 20th October
Alum Wash
Tabac A/S
rRi2sTe.jpg

You're a braver man than I. The Focus looks bad enough in videos.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom