S.O.T.D. Saturday 22nd Feb. to Friday 28th Feb. 2014

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Jr
Blade - Gillette Swede
Brush: Semogue Cherry boar
Soap: Mike's eucalyptus and lemon grass\MdC Fougere - suribachi lathered
Post - Witch hazel & GFT sandalwood skinfood

Last use of the Swede (I think it's done 4 shaves) but I can see why they are so rated. A cracking combo with the Aristo Jr.

dodgy said:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Parat/Wilkinson Super Sword Edge (NOS)
MdC Fougere (thanks Paul)
Myrsol Emulsion used as aftershave
vintage Hai Karate 'Oriental Spice' AS used as cologne

First time using the Parat, with thanks for Paul's generous gift of one in nice shape. Been wanting to test drive one of these for a while, even though most superspeed like razors don't agree with me.

Man, what a pleasant surprise..........this thing works pretty darn well! Comfortable and very close shave, with no worrying about any weird angles to deal with like with some other superspeeds. Heh, I was all set to not love the Parat, but once again I realized you gotta try each razor yourself. This is going into the arsenal, with plans on it being used a bunch in the future.

BBS results,

Martin

Glad you like it Mart. It's one of my faves too.

How did the MdC grab you?

Tall_Paul said:
WEDNESDAY EVENING

Blade - Gillette Swede

Soap: Mike's eucalyptus and lemon grass\MdC Fougere - suribachi lathered

Last use of the Swede (I think it's done 4 shaves) but I can see why they are so rated.

. Heh, I was all set to not love the Parat, but once again I realized you gotta try each razor yourself. This is going into the arsenal, with plans on it being used a bunch in the future.

Glad you like it Mart. It's one of my faves too.

How did the MdC grab you?

Those Swedes are nice blades.They were my favorites a long time back, up until I used a Super Iridium. Had about 100 Swedes that I sold soon after and never regretted it.

Maybe up till 5 years ago you could still buy NOS Swedesfrom a few vendors, and they were expensive. Yep, a 5 pack was $4. Back then Iridiums were selling for 25 cents or less in quantity. Connaught had a great deal going on 200 blade bricks for quite a while.

The MdC worked well after squishing it into a bowl. I like that scent more than the regular, although not a huge fan of either. For some reason I can't see the major attraction to that stuff. No that's not right. It's nice stuff for sure, but I can't see paying that sorta price for it. Heh, the sample with definitely get used up though.

Mart

Oh yeah, just wanted to mention that seeing Mike's soaps in your posts has been a factor in my ordering a small amount. Heh, Carl and others helped with the enabling too. Sheeesh.

Wednesday 02-26-14. MUSIC: Paco de Lucía live at Teatro Real (1975). RIP

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-AEsW7wJKU[/video]

f6f0b5ac-7dd4-4558-804c-4c30b82b25fc_zps5ccf4bfb.jpg

Aleppo soap - Rodney Neep Extra Silvertip 26X50 - Merkur 25C - Perma Sharp #5 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Tabula Rasa Koriander & Bergamotte - Alum block - Thayers Cucumber Toner - ASB JASÖN - ASL Eau de Lacoste EDT.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide (1)
Whipped Dog silvertip 20/47
Speick soap stick
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Frederic Malle Dries Van Noten

I fancied trialling the ProGlide for a bit. Quick, fairly comfortable, but only shaved WTG.

This Whipped Dog silvertip is most excellent for around £23 from the USA. I had the loft lowered to 47mm to reduce flop; the result is a very soft brush without much backbone yet a loft that makes face lathering viable. One of my better purchases. This'll displace my Muhle synthetic as my travel brush. If anyone is searching out a silvertip brush on a budget, Whipped Dog seems to be a goer.

Today's startling biscuit brush of command is looking quite astonishing thanks to Firehouse Light Moustache Wax … oh, and I smell of Chanel Cuir De Russie

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Neroli
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Truefitt & Hill in Silvertip
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86811GBL
Blade : Feather
AS: Dior Fahrenheit
EDT: Dior Fahrenheit

image.php

image.php

Greetings

Thursday 27th February 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Arko Stick grated
Aftershave: La Toja Balm

Regards
Dick.

DSC05295.JPG

Wednesday Afternoon

Prep: Hot Shower

Brush: Vulfix handle withTGN 2 Band 26mm

Blade: Dorco (4)

Razor: Cobra Classic

Cream/Soap: Gentleman's' Groom Room "Sweet Gale" soap.

Aftershave: Pitralon Pure

EDT. Geo F Trumpers Eucris

Nice close shave, bit tuggy on ATG pass, blades nowhere near as sharp as the Feather Pro blades which start savage, smooth out and drop off after around 6/7 shaves.

Soap is very good indeed, nice smell, good slip and great skin aftercare.

Pitralon pure is not my favourite of the 4 I have, but it is still very good indeed, and leaves my skin feeling so good it does not require a balm.

BBS shave which, after 17 hours is still a very good DFS..

Eucris is my stock scent for attending fraternal meetings....

Thursday xxvii February, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, L'Oreal Daily Purifying Facial Wash
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Soap: Irisch Moos Stick
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: Crown Super Stainless #1
Fragrance: 4711 Sir Irisch Moos ASL

Results: Crown not quite as smooth as the Polsilver, but still an excellent, comfortable shave.

All the best,

Jon

Thursday

Morning, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Wilkinson Classic
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Wickham Co. 1902 Menthol
Aftershave: Ricardo L'Homme Musk
Cologne: Ricardo L'Homme Musk

Top shave.

Thursday 27th February

SOTD27214_zpsdbc9303e.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Mystic Water Lily of the valley scuttle lathered
Brush made by myself, TGN Finest badger 20mm
Gillette Hybrid Tech
Feather (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Myrsol F/extra aftershave
GFT Ajaccio Violets cologne

A good shave, the Mystic Water soap has a pleasant scent and the lather very good in line with the other artisan soaps I've been using recently. I finished with a drop of Trumpers Violets cologne lovely :icon_smile:

Wednesday afternoon:
Cold water splash
L'Occitane Cade soap
Weber Polished / Bulldog
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (5)
Weleda ASB
D.R. Harris Windsor EdT

5 great shaves from the 7 O'Clock Black and it could potentially perform well for at least one more shave. Will change tomorrow though, just for the sake of it.

Thursday afternoon:
Cold water splash
Valobra Stick (grated)
Weber Polished / Bulldog
Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Speick ASB
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EdT

Excellent result. I tend to forget how well the Astra performs for me until I try it again. Readily available in the UK and inexpensive!

Back
Top Bottom