Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Grandstaff Grapefruit Gardenia
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair 13061M
Razor: Fatip + templ8 handle
Blade: Sputnik (3)
After: 4711 AS, Lea ASB

First use of this horse hair brush and it blew me away. Not even broken in yet and really soft bristles with plenty of backbone. When the brush first arrived it had a horsey niff but the Grandstaff soap's whoosh of scent kept the aroma out of my conk. I think I'm really going to enjoy this brush from now on, maybe even the best I have.
This Sputnik blade seems to improve with each shave. Today's third and last use together with the Fatip gave a lovely BBS.
I've been smelling gardenias all day.

SOTD141126_zpsf39e2de2.jpg

Uncle Bertie said:
Aaargh!

Vintage Le Coq

This was was my second bash with the Le Coq and unfortunately it's just too aggressive for me.

Holy smokes, that must be a special piece of shaving crap! Never heard or even thought of you meeting your match but there it is.

Your warning was subtle but I know about your crazy aggressive druthers. Maybe if you apply lots more pressure and use long carefree strokes? Yeah, try that, Paul.

Martin

Uncle Bertie said:
Hi Dodgy

It's me, Uncle Bertie, not Tall Paul or PGH.

[

Oh man, how did I miss that? My only excuse is I was typing while on a different astral plane. It can get confusing as you might know.

Ok I get it now. You are baiting the trap for Paul. Smart.

That razor doesn't look very saucy....

dodgy said:
Uncle Bertie said:
Hi Dodgy

[

Oh man, how did I miss that? My only excuse is I was typing while on a different astral plane. It can get confusing as you might know.

Ok I get it now. You are baiting the trap for Paul. Smart.

That razor doesn't look very saucy....

It's not saucy, it's a poisoned apple. Those curves make you think Wilkinson Sword Protector, when it's more like shaving with a Stanley knife :)

Uncle Bertie said:
Hi Dodgy

The razor in question is this bastard:
normal_DSC07418.JPG

More here: http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?t=49616

Hahaha! My reputation precedes me I see :D

Very nice score, UB! I have something similar - a Famex:

DSC07166.JPG

I like to go rails up (on the cage part) which gives a more aggressive shave. Looking at the patents for my razor, it would appear that the comb could be compressed to give a sort of adjustable nature to the shave. The Le Coq may be different.

Fun, tho' ...

Don't worry Dodgy, I'll have many more instruments of torture to show off in future :D

Hot water face splash
New Forest High Mountain White 2224
RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap
GEM 1912 Single Edge Razor
GEM Single Edge Blade
Cold water face splash
Bulldog Original After Shave Balm
Brut Splash-On Lotion

The NF 2224 creating a monstrous XXX lather which, incidentally, has a marzipan scent - which is great as I love Battenberg Cake...

First time using an SE tonight!

The GEM providing a smooth, irritation-free and non-injurious shave.

One observation though, having used DE for many years, and become accustomed to increasingly long (and heavy) handles, the GEM was a refreshing change for me with its light, short handle.

Nico1970 said:
First time using an SE tonight!

... and with a cute little handle, too. Welcome to the land of SE shaving!

Do you use the splash-on straight-up as an aftershave? Respect! Quite something coming from a fellow who can splash Pinaud VIBR on without flinching. Brut splash-on hurts me, but I do like the higher alcohol, so have my own blend of 2 parts splash-on, 1 part Original aftershave and 1 part Alcolado glacial. Cooling and drying, like sticking your face in a seriously sub-zero freezer :D

Yes, it's a delicate little device!

BUT, like most things in this game, if not treated with appropriate respect, no doubt, it could bite like the best...

What is the natural progression in SE land? Injectors?

Nico1970 said:
Yes, it's a delicate little device!

BUT, like most things in this game, if not treated with appropriate respect, no doubt, it could bite like the best...

What is the natural progression in SE land? Injectors?

Pfff! No!*

You go 1912, 1924, Micromatic Open Comb, Featherweight just out of interest, perhaps a Heavy Flat Top, maybe a Micromatic Flying Wing, deviate off to Autostrop for a Valet, or two, follow many Wilkinson Sword Empires on popular auction sites, think about the Rolls Razor, marvel at the Streamline ... meanwhile, you've picked up a good collection of 1912s, all exactly the same but you swear blind they all have character, especially the Damaskeene or the early Brooklyns, you then finally snag a decent 1914 and your life is almost complete but that Streamline at a decent price keeps eluding you so you just plump for one and close your eyes when you hit the "Buy it Now" button :D

For kudos, the pre-Valet Autostrop 7 O'Clock is a good catch and a good shave. That, and there are some real oddities out there in single edge land. I didn't mention pre-1912 lather catchers ...

* Injector fans will disagree - you'll need to walk your own path.

Ongot9.jpg

Pre: Vitos Menthol Pre & Post Cream
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Peppermint & Rosemary
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel & Fitjar Soap Folgefonn Mint After Shave Balm & followed up with Clinique M Lotion
Scent: Diptyque Volutes

Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary with the Fitjar Soap Folgefonn Mint Balm made for a great combo

Prep: Nivea face wash
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle
Shaving soap: Aramis / Boots mix
Razor: GEM Ever Ready single edge
Blade: Personna GEM single edge

A nice close shave, very close. In fact, very very close.

Last night's shave:
Tea tree glycerin soap
Prof. Blighty's Coviello soap (Rose & Sandalwood)
Semogue 840 Boar
Kropp 5/8 straight
Warm Rinse
Cold rinse
Alum (1 nick)
Cold rinse
Thayer's Cucumber & Witch Hazel Toner
Coviello a/s tonic

First ever shave with straight razor. Have tried Dovo Shavette and Feather SS, but this was first true straight steel shave. Awesome, very, very different to what I'm used to. Loud!

Back
Top Bottom