Salt beef

Has anyone on here ever made their own salt beef?
I was in Newcastle yesterday and had an absolutely delicious bagel, it was a take on a Reubens sandwich and was so good. So I'm thinking of making my own salt beef and going on a quest for the perfect Reubens:)
Any tips gratefully received

I have never made salt beef but I make my own dry cure bacon. Just had wee look and salt beef curing is the same as bacon cure.
I say go for it , it will take you about a week or so for it to cure then it's ready to cook.
I am now going to order salt beef cure and have a bash myself now. (y):)

Yes. I've brined a brisket before ...

100g of salt per litre of water. Have a vessel large enough for the meat to be covered by the brine. Add in other flavours. When I did it, I also added peppercorns and fennel seed, black mustard seed & cardamon. For a subtle sweetness, also a little honey. Bring the water, salt and honey to a boil and ensure it's all dissolved. Allow to cool and once lukewarm, add the spices. Pour over the meat and pop it in the fridge for 7 days, turning once daily.

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

Yes. I've brined a brisket before ...

100g of salt per litre of water. Have a vessel large enough for the meat to be covered by the brine. Add in other flavours. When I did it, I also added peppercorns and fennel seed, black mustard seed & cardamon. For a subtle sweetness, also a little honey. Bring the water, salt and honey to a boil and ensure it's all dissolved. Allow to cool and once lukewarm, add the spices. Pour over the meat and pop it in the fridge for 7 days, turning once daily.

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG
Looks good, how long did you cook it for after it was cured?

I may be wrong but I thought salt beef was Jewish cuisine and meant to be really tender, My father used to play cards with Manny Cussins who was chairman of Leeds United at the time, it was my job to make him a bacon sandwich, always asking me, this is salt beef isn't it?

I have only had salt beef once at a Selfridges food counter and it took a helluva lot of chewing, put me off it for good.

Must admit I like a corned beef hash or a corned beef and pickled beetroot sandwich, maybe in a baguette.

These threads make me hungry!

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I thought salt beef was Jewish cuisine and meant to be really tender, My father used to play cards with Manny Cussins who was chairman of Leeds United at the time, it was my job to make him a bacon sandwich, always asking me, this is salt beef isn't it?

I have only had salt beef once at a Selfridges food counter and it took a helluva lot of chewing, put me off it for good.

Must admit I like a corned beef hash or a corned beef and pickled beetroot sandwich, maybe in a baguette.

From the web;

History[edit]​

Although the exact origin of corned beef is unknown, it most likely came about when people began preserving meat through salt-curing. Evidence of its legacy is apparent in numerous cultures, including ancient Europe and the Middle East.[5] The word corn derives from Old English and is used to describe any small, hard particles or grains.[6] In the case of corned beef, the word may refer to the coarse, granular salts used to cure the beef.[5] The word "corned" may also refer to the corns of potassium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, which were formerly used to preserve the meat.[7][8][9]

19th century Atlantic trade[edit]​

Although the practice of curing beef was found locally in many cultures, the industrial production of corned beef started in the British Industrial Revolution. Irish corned beef was used and traded extensively from the 17th century to the mid-19th century for British civilian consumption and as provisions for the British naval fleets and North American armies due to its nonperishable nature.[10] The product was also traded to the French, who used it in their colonies in the Caribbean as sustenance for both the colonists and enslaved labourers.[11] The 17th century British industrial processes for corned beef did not distinguish between different cuts of beef beyond the tough and undesirable parts such as the beef necks and shanks.[11][12] Rather, the grading was done by the weight of the cattle into "small beef", "cargo beef" and "best mess beef", the former being the worst and the latter the best.[11] Much of the undesirable portions and lower grades were traded to the French, while better parts were saved for consumption in Britain or her colonies.[11]

Ireland produced a significant amount of the corned beef in the Atlantic trade from local cattle and salt imported from the Iberian Peninsula and southwestern France.[11] Coastal cities, such as Dublin, Belfast and Cork, created vast beef curing and packing industries, with Cork producing half of Ireland's annual beef exports in 1668.[12] Although the production and trade of corned beef as a commodity was a source of great wealth for the nations of Europe, in the colonies the product was looked upon with disdain due to its consumption by the poor and slaves.[11]

Increasing corned beef production to satisfy the rising number of people moving to the cities from the countryside during the Industrial Revolution worsened the effects of the Irish Famine of 1740-41 and the Great Irish Famine:

The Celtic grazing lands of ... Ireland had been used to pasture cows for centuries. The British colonized ... the Irish, transforming much of their countryside into an extended grazing land to raise cattle for a hungry consumer market at home ... The British taste for beef had a devastating impact on the impoverished and disenfranchised [the] people of ... Ireland. Pushed off the best pasture land and forced to farm smaller plots of marginal land, the Irish turned to the potato, a crop that could be grown abundantly in less favourable soil. Eventually, cows took over much of Ireland, leaving the native population virtually dependent on the potato for survival.
— Jeremy Rifkin, Beyond Beef[13]
Despite being a major producer of beef, most of the people of Ireland during this period consumed little of the meat produced, in either fresh or salted form, due to its prohibitive cost. This was because most of the farms and their produce were owned by wealthy Anglo-Irish landlords (many of whom were often absent) and most of the population were from families of poor tenant farmers, with most of the corned beef being marked for export.[citation needed]

The lack of beef or corned beef in the Irish diet was especially true in the north of Ireland and areas away from the major centres for corned beef production. However, individuals living in these production centres such as Cork did consume the product to a certain extent. The majority of Irish who resided in Ireland at the time mainly consumed dairy products and meats such as pork or salt pork,[12] bacon and cabbage being a notable example of a traditional Irish meal.

Cultural associations[edit]​

In North America, corned beef dishes are associated with traditional British, Irish, and Jewish cuisines. [15]

Mark Kurlansky, in his book Salt, states that the Irish produced a salted beef around the Middle Ages that was the "forerunner of what today is known as Irish corned beef" and in the 17th century, the English named the Irish salted beef "corned beef".[16]

Before the wave of 19th century Irish immigration to the United States, many of the ethnic Irish did not consume corned beef dishes. The popularity of corned beef compared to back bacon among the immigrant Irish may have been due to corned beef being considered a luxury product in their native land, while it was cheap and readily available in the United States.[12]

The Jewish population produced similar corned beef brisket, also smoking it into pastrami. Irish immigrants often purchased corned beef from Jewish butchers. This exchange was an example of the close interactions in everyday life of people from these two cultures in the United States' main 19th and 20th century immigrant port of entry, New York City.[12][17]

Canned corned beef has long been one of the standard meals included in military field ration packs globally, due to its simplicity and instant preparation. One example is the American Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE) pack. Astronaut John Young sneaked a contraband corned beef sandwich on board Gemini 3, hiding it in a pocket of his spacesuit.[18]

Regions[edit]​

North America[edit]​

In the United States and Canada, corned beef is typically available in two forms: a cut of beef (usually brisket, but sometimes round or silverside) cured or pickled in a seasoned brine, or cooked and canned.

Corned beef is often purchased ready to eat in Jewish delicatessens. It is the key ingredient in the grilled Reuben sandwich, consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island or Russian dressing on rye bread. Smoking corned beef, typically with a generally similar spice mix, produces smoked meat (or "smoked beef") such as pastrami or Montreal-style smoked meat.

Corned beef hashed with potatoes served with eggs is a common breakfast dish in the United States of America.

In both the United States and Canada, corned beef is sold in cans in minced form. It is also sold this way in Puerto Rico and Uruguay.

Just been reading a few methods and recipes online, and have ordered some pink Prague powder for part of the brining process. I'll decide what spices and bits and bobs to use while I'm waiting for it then I'll get onto it next weekend.
Don't want to preach but make sure you measure prague powder (potassium nitrate) accurately. You need scales for 0.1 grams or better accuracy. I just went for the pre mixed stuff with prague, salt and flavouring ready mixed and can just use standard scales.
from "homecuring.co.uk" (if link not allowed I will remove it)

Don't want to preach but make sure you measure prague powder (potassium nitrate) accurately. You need scales for 0.1 grams or better accuracy. I just went for the pre mixed stuff with prague, salt and flavouring ready mixed and can just use standard scales.
from "homecuring.co.uk" (if link not allowed I will remove it)
The recipes I've been looking at measure the Prague powder in teaspoons, wasn't aware there was such fine margins. I think I've got a pre prepared mix, as it's called pink Prague powder #1.

The recipes I've been looking at measure the Prague powder in teaspoons, wasn't aware there was such fine margins. I think I've got a pre prepared mix, as it's called pink Prague powder #1.
Prague powder no1 is for meat that is cooked after curing.
Prague powder no 2 is for meats that will get air dried after curing.
Just had a wee search, it gets used at 2.5g per kg of meat and be mixed with additional salt.
If it is half a gram out that is 20% too much much prague. My scales measure in full grams so that's 40%.

Edit: 7.5 gram per litre for a brine, might be ok for a brine cure, I was looking at a dry cure.

There were some great places in London, and the London racecourses always used to always have a Salt Beef Bar...

Back
Top Bottom