Salt beef

Boiled my beef tonight, it's very nice. Made a Reubens but didn't enjoy it :D you know when you hear chef's talk about going home to a pot noodle as they don't fancy food after cooking it. Never mind the beef is very nice

View attachment 92569View attachment 92568
That look good - nice and moist, I presume the colour comes from the nitrates? I was inspired by your experiment to give it a go with venison. I've just been on the phone to my game dealer (sounds grandiose but is actually my mate with a gun, a larder and very sharp knives) who is helpfully coming to stay with me next week from Assynt. He'll bring a suitable lump of red doe or Sika. I'll use the Hank Shaw recipe I posted above as a base reference. Cheers - I.

It is handy having a mate with a gun and a larder isn't it?! I had never heard of sika and the next thing I know I'm on YouTube watching videos of how to break down a haunch at 9pm on a Sunday night. I had the sharp knives, made a decent fist of copying the butcher, still got a couple of bits in the freezer actually.

Boiled my beef tonight, it's very nice. Made a Reubens but didn't enjoy it :D you know when you hear chef's talk about going home to a pot noodle as they don't fancy food after cooking it. Never mind the beef is very nice

View attachment 92569View attachment 92568
Looking good. (y):love:.
I have been eating mine for a couple of days, it tastes great just like better tasting corned beef without the fat in it.gave some to a few friends, they have asked for some of the cure to make their own. So a winner all round.

I've got my venison sorted - I'm about to order the 'Prague' powder - is this what you would recommend using? No.1? - from the information above supplied by @jimmyc - thanks - I.
No1 is for meat that will be cooked after curing.
No 2 is for meat that is dried and eaten raw. (y)
On a suggestion of a friend I am going to try the cure with pork shoulder, I think it will work well with the sweetness of pork......I hope:)

No1 is for meat that will be cooked after curing.
No 2 is for meat that is dried and eaten raw. (y)
On a suggestion of a friend I am going to try the cure with pork shoulder, I think it will work well with the sweetness of pork......I hope:)
Thanks - I double checked this for safety. I ordered the cure from the site you flagged up - homecuring.co.uk. If this works I am going to have a go at curing bacon and making black pudding. Homemade haggis! Yes!! I've made fresh sausages with venison before and they were sensational. I have a mincer thing that also doubles for filling sausage tubes/casing, so that'll do for a small scale attempt. Cheers - I.

Thanks - I double checked this for safety. I ordered the cure from the site you flagged up - homecuring.co.uk. If this works I am going to have a go at curing bacon and making black pudding. Homemade haggis! Yes!! I've made fresh sausages with venison before and they were sensational. I have a mincer thing that also doubles for filling sausage tubes/casing, so that'll do for a small scale attempt. Cheers - I.
Is your mincer a manual one that clamps to the side of a table?. If so where did you get it and would you recommend it.
I have been looking at loads of them but majority of the reviews are negative, don't want to waste my money but do want to make my own sausages. Thanks.

Is your mincer a manual one that clamps to the side of a table?
Yes - it is. It's mostly used by me for mincing venison. Most of it - apart from the discs, obviously - is plastic. I'll take a pic in the daylight tomorrow for you to see and I'll have a look for a maker's mark. I didn't buy it myself - it was passed on to me by my mate that supplies the venison. I'll ask him what he uses himself - cheers - I.

@jimmyc

My mincer/stuffer is a Lakeland one - fine for the way I use it - mincing bits of venison and producing small quantities of sausages, two or three kilos at a time but I suspect you might be looking for something more robust. I asked my mate in Assynt and he recommended this, the one he uses -

https://butchers-sundries.com/colle...estic-electric-meat-mincer-and-sausage-filler

It's sold as a domestic unit but he has put prodigious quantities of venison through it for a couple of years without incident.

Hope this helps - I.

@jimmyc

My mincer/stuffer is a Lakeland one - fine for the way I use it - mincing bits of venison and producing small quantities of sausages, two or three kilos at a time but I suspect you might be looking for something more robust. I asked my mate in Assynt and he recommended this, the one he uses -

https://butchers-sundries.com/colle...estic-electric-meat-mincer-and-sausage-filler

It's sold as a domestic unit but he has put prodigious quantities of venison through it for a couple of years without incident.

Hope this helps - I.
Thaks for that, a couple of kilos of sausages will be plenty for me at one time, had a look at the lakeland one and it looks good enough for me.
Also bookmarked the butchers sundries website for casings and sausage ingredients. (y)

Thaks for that, a couple of kilos of sausages will be plenty for me at one time, had a look at the lakeland one and it looks good enough for me.
Also bookmarked the butchers sundries website for casings and sausage ingredients. (y)

View attachment 93101

Is it this one you got Ian?. It has a sucker for clamping to worktop. Sorry for 20 questions.
That's exactly the same. Yes, it has a sucker attachment thing and it works just fine. It breaks down into a thousand pieces for cleaning - great fun when you come to put it back together again. Adult Lego. - I.

Back
Top Bottom