Salt beef

That's a great looking result. I think you are right, some mixtures benefit from a small amount of bulk/rusk just for the texture and mouth feel. Man can live by sausages alone! I finally got the small digital scales in the post for measuring the Prague powder for corned venison. I'm going to get it under way this afternoon. I'll stick a pic up later.

cheers - I.

I'm not nagging, but how is the Corned venison going. I have made loads of bacon and given away half of it. And have recived loads of cakes and jars of jam and honey . This barter system is great. Going to have to grow bees for honey, As real Honey is expensive. I get mine from a customer. It is far better than shop bought with a fantastic floral flavour.

I'm not nagging, but how is the Corned venison going. I have made loads of bacon and given away half of it. And have recived loads of cakes and jars of jam and honey . This barter system is great. Going to have to grow bees for honey, As real Honey is expensive. I get mine from a customer. It is far better than shop bought with a fantastic floral flavour.
Sorry mate - I hadn't realised you were on tenterhooks. :) The brining and cooking went well - as far as I know. When it was complete I had some short-dated lamb to use, so I stuck it in its cooking liquid in the fridge. Good for three weeks according to the recipe and I'd return to it in a couple of days. I even had an initial meal planned - rye bread, fried potatoes, roast peppers in olive oil, Slovenian horseradish mustard and lime wedges to serve. Then I had major dental work and I have no clear idea when I will be able to eat solid food again in comfort. So, I put the venison in the freezer for now.

Potd-ven-06-10-22.png

This is what it looked like finished. It lost 181 grams - which was expected.

Cheers - I.

Back
Top Bottom