Salt beef

Reuben bagel, nectar of the gods. Earns the right to the word 'delicatessen' on its own. Now I'm hungry again.

"Astronaut John Young sneaked a contraband corned beef sandwich on board Gemini 3, hiding it in a pocket of his spacesuit."
Strewth! The risk:reward calculation there is literally out of this world! Of all the lame ass contraband in the history of mankind (ps I am basing this on 'corned beef sandwich' being that God-awful canned filth pet food that somehow passed the human consumption test over here). Your Meat May Vary

Dry cure came today, pulled a brisket out the freezer.
So a couple of days to defrost and roughly a week to cure.
Then a couple of hours to cook, so roughly next fri/sat i can't wait, (y).
If this turns out well I have a 3kg silverside in freezer, will cut into 3 and try with one of the portions.

Has anyone on here ever made their own salt beef?
I was in Newcastle yesterday and had an absolutely delicious bagel, it was a take on a Reubens sandwich and was so good. So I'm thinking of making my own salt beef and going on a quest for the perfect Reubens:)
Any tips gratefully received
I don't know if you have had a crack at the salt beef yet but I'd nominate this recipe. I haven't tried it but I have used several of Hank's recipes and not one has been less than great. You can swap the venison for beef. I bought his venison book and refer to it frequently. Cheers - I

I don't know if you have had a crack at the salt beef yet but I'd nominate this recipe. I haven't tried it but I have used several of Hank's recipes and not one has been less than great. You can swap the venison for beef. I bought his venison book and refer to it frequently. Cheers - I

I'll check it out, going to start the brining on Saturday :) it's not a million miles away from what I've so far got planned.

Mate - so - from your third picture - the spices? Bay leaves, star anise, mustard seeds (?), coriander seeds, black pepper, ginger, chilli flakes and what's the green stuff next to the bay? Thyme. Do you juice the orange or use the peel? Is the paprika dulce or picante? cheers - I.

The green stuff is dried tarragon, for no other reason than I had some in the cupboard and I love tarragon:) I just thinly cut the zest from the orange . The paprika is smoked, I'm not sure what dulce or picante is :)

There were some great places in London, and the London racecourses always used to always have a Salt Beef Bar...
For a year or two, I had an office above a Jewish deli/cafe in the Charing Cross Road, and the salt beef sandwiches were superb, as were the chopped liver. They weren't that cheap, though, and the 15 pence a day staff Luncheon Vouchers didn't cover it.

There was a downside, though. The office was in a tall Victorian or Edwardian building of about 5 floors or more, with an open well behind it and between the neighbouring building, which ran top to bottom of the buildings. The extraction system of the deli discharged into the well, which meant that everything that faced to the well (mostly lavatories on each floor) provided all the tastes and smells, without the need for actual food.

Back
Top Bottom