Salt beef

@jimmyc

Sorry to take so long mate - real life got in the way - instead of important shit, like home butchery. Goddammit. :)

The diameter of the feeder tube is 19mm - so a couple of mm bigger for the skins. I didn't order them so I don't know what size I used. I remember they were pre-spooled natural hog casings. The only other thing I remember about the experience was that I found the linking difficult and ended up doing them as boerwurs - a continuous spiral about 5 inches across. A portion basically. In addition they have good visual appeal I think.

Casings came from here:

Hope this helps - aye yours - I.

@jimmyc

Sorry to take so long mate - real life got in the way - instead of important shit, like home butchery. Goddammit. :)

The diameter of the feeder tube is 19mm - so a couple of mm bigger for the skins. I didn't order them so I don't know what size I used. I remember they were pre-spooled natural hog casings. The only other thing I remember about the experience was that I found the linking difficult and ended up doing them as boerwurs - a continuous spiral about 5 inches across. A portion basically. In addition they have good visual appeal I think.

Casings came from here:

Hope this helps - aye yours - I.
No, don't worry about it appreciate looking it out for me. I won't ask any more questions until I have more questions. :LOL:(y)

Made my first batch of sausages yesterday, pork and leek, made with a pre mix from a shop @Digimonkey pointed out.
I used the bigger of the 2 mincer blades (8mm) because I like a more grainier rather than a pastier sausage.
I mixed 75% shoulder and 25% belly pork and was left with 1.5kg of fantastic sausages.
My company name is now, Bobs beer bacon and bangers. (y):)

Made my first batch of sausages yesterday, pork and leek, made with a pre mix from a shop @Digimonkey pointed out.
I used the bigger of the 2 mincer blades (8mm) because I like a more grainier rather than a pastier sausage.
I mixed 75% shoulder and 25% belly pork and was left with 1.5kg of fantastic sausages.
My company name is now, Bobs beer bacon and bangers. (y):)
Sounds both successful and excellent. I've often fancied trying it with lamb for North African Merghez style? - I.

Sounds both successful and excellent. I've often fancied trying it with lamb for North African Merghez style? - I.
Yes, I have spent ages looking at sausage mixes and recipies with different varieties of meat cuts.
Just looked up Merghez sausages, they sound fantastic, homer simpson drool. :)

Yes, I have spent ages looking at sausage mixes and recipies with different varieties of meat cuts.
They're brilliant, used to eat loads of them when I worked in Dunkirk years ago. Great alternative to hot dogs. And surprisingly the French seemed to like them as well. Not known for their love of spicy food.........

I stumbled across this - might be worth a bookmark? - comprehensive doesn't cover it. ;) - I.

I stumbled across this - might be worth a bookmark? - comprehensive doesn't cover it. ;) - I.

Excellent find. Bookmarked.

Just made 1kg of Merghez sausages, and made a burger out of all the meat from inside the mincer/stuffer.
The sausages taste as good as they sound, a mild spicy kick to them, very firm and meaty (might add some breadcrumbs and water next time to loosen the mixture up a bit) not a breakfast sausage unless you eat curry regularly for breakfast. :) i will definitely make them again. (y):)

Just made 1kg of Merghez sausages, and made a burger out of all the meat from inside the mincer/stuffer.
The sausages taste as good as they sound, a mild spicy kick to them, very firm and meaty (might add some breadcrumbs and water next time to loosen the mixture up a bit) not a breakfast sausage unless you eat curry regularly for breakfast. :) i will definitely make them again. (y):)

Post up some pictures.

Merguez sausages are superb, I love them.

I'm thinking of getting a sausage making machine and a few relevant accessories for a friend's birthday. The Lakeland machine is mentioned, but what casings and preservatives would be recommended?

20220923_182054.jpg

Crap photo, they taste better than they look. :LOL:
I have the lakeland mincer/stuffer, it is fine for my needs of 1-2 kg of sausages.
If you look up a couple of posts @Digimonkey posted a website "sausage recipies" to make your own or go to.
butchers-Sundries.Com
they have loads of pre mix recipies so you only have to weigh meat and premix, mix together and stuff into casings.
Go for it you will not be disappointed. (y)
Edit: the sausages are made with 26mm colagen casings, I did not want the hastle of soaking natural casings.

Back
Top Bottom