Show off your everyday briefcase/manbag

joe mcclaine said:
Manbags?

Fuck's sake.

I use my pockets, you know, those holes in the side of your husbands' trousers.

I hope your purses have enough pouches for your lipstick and tampons.
In the 60`s and probably before, the Small canvas back pack which was part of the FMSO [Full Marching Service Order ] , was converted by use of one webbing strap into a Haversack [ Aka Manbag ], slung over the shoulder & used to carry small items of kit.

In Chatham,Troops were marched daily from the Barracks to the Training School. Did not notice anyone being worried about using what might be deemed as a forerunner to" Manbags "

The use of them nowadays is quite sensible when carrying around Laptops, Cameras etc, which you cannot put in your pockets.

Sorry, I really didn't intend for this thread to cause any controversy when I started it.
To me, these days, I simply have too many things to carry around on a daily basis using just my hands and pockets and was genuinely interested in seeing what other bags/briefcases/etc people out there were using.

I own a Billingham bag that I used for the camera and bits when I'm out and about the odd time.

Any remember rockin' the 'fanny pack' back in the day?

20140312-fanny-pack-2-642.jpg

Troop - glorified canvas satchel. Lots of compartments, fits iPad or laptop, papers etc. and it's expandable. Used every weekday for at least 4 years and not a sign of wear, despite an 80 mile round trip rail commute and a near 2 mile daily walk.

joe mcclaine said:
You can try as much as you want to macho up what is essentially a handbag.

Soldier references aren't really relevant, as they don't carry hairspray and straighteners in their webbing.
Are you sure these days !

Darkbulb said:
Sorry, I really didn't intend for this thread to cause any controversy when I started it.

BigBoar said:
No controversy, just British banter. Takes a bit of getting used to!

That's the deal here Mr Bulb. Greg is right. This is what passes for harmless Limey banter around here. Waaay too subtle for a Yanker like me and I know the guys must be making fun of me all the time. I just don't get that double meaning crap so I can't be positive!

When I joined, some members gave me advice on what to avoid stepping in. One tip was to NOT mention the War, which I'm guessing is the US Civil War of the 1860s. What is up with that I wonder.

Another subject was that antdad was a little grumpy. Hah, nothing could be farther from the truth! He bakes bread for everyone!

Also, I was to refuse any offers from Pigcat to send me out some of his 'special' aftershave. That turned out to be good advice.

I also learned about gimp suits in a hurry.

There you go,

Martin

Ooooooooh, almost forgot. You can tell real easy when these guys are joking and when they ain't. When they are pissed about something important like Sports, you will see a change in their posts. Heh, it's something to see in print and not what you would normally consider to be politely Limeylike. Sorta reminds me of when poor Larry Talbot changed at night.

Back
Top Bottom