Six Nations 2014

Looks like Irelands game well done, but if that's the kind of rugby your new coach is planning for Ireland to play then whenever I can't go to sleep I'll just watch this game, reminds me of the way England played during the late 1990s.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Looks like Irelands game well done, but if that's the kind of rugby your new coach is planning for Ireland to play then whenever I can't go to sleep I'll just watch this game, reminds me of the way England played during the late 1990s.

LOL, I couldn't give a shite, tactically we were spot on.

Hard luck Wales, all the best in the remainder of the competition. Well done Ireland, job done... huge commitment and intensity. Peter O'Mahony outstanding.

Roll on Twickenham in two weeks time.

Ouch...did the score reflect the game?

I'm trying to watch the England game but the pitch is resembling an unploughed field so it could be Country File.

antdad said:
Ouch...did the score reflect the game?

I'm trying to watch the England game but the pitch is resembling an unploughed field so it could be Country File.

Ireland dominated, well deserving of their victory, Schmidt had the tactics spot on.

Probably a boring game from a Welsh perspective given they were totally outplayed in every facet of the game.

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good result for England in tough conditions, terrible pitch. Should be a good match up in Twickenham in a fortnight.

Munster - Cardiff now... what a day of rugby.

Well all I will say Chris if you think rolling mauls and kicking 46 Possessions as Ireland did is the kind of rugby that excites you then I guess you and I like rugby to be played differently.

I think the Irish thoroughly deserved the win yesterday, it pains me to say it but they took us to school. Not a classic match by any stretch. Should be a good scrap when Ireland meet England in the next fixture.

If we had lost yesterday I'd be the first to say well done to Wales.

To have nothing to say other than 'the game was boring' and to have a pop at how we played the game, well that just strikes me as sour grapes, but I'll happily listen to it all day.

There aren't too many people in Ireland who are fussed in the slightest about how we won the game. Aside from the win, what were the positives - huge intensity and focus, very few handling errors, a functioning set piece and a tactical game plan that was spot on. All things that we had lacked at times in the past few of years. Schmidt has been in charge for just a short amount of time, these are things we can hopefully build on.

I have no doubt that the England game will be a lot tougher. They battered us last year in Dublin and left us physically and emotionally drained. If we were to win 3-0 we'd be delighted.

It's certainly not a case of sour grapes as you played exceptionally well against the All Blacks and had you won that game you would have deserve it purely on the facts that you played the game with ambition and ability and skill, yesterday you played the game with driving lineouts rolling mauls kicked the ball 46 times from possession sorry not sour grapes but that style of play went out when England won the world cup 2003 the game you played is affective but really speaking 10 years out of date.

10 years out of date... and we won. Just like Gatland dropping O'Driscoll and the lack of flair... the end justifies the means right?

Well all I will say Chris if you think rolling mauls and kicking 46 Possessions as Ireland did is the kind of rugby that excites you then I guess you and I like rugby to be played differently.

I never said it was exciting, Jamie, merely that couldn't agree with it being a crashing bore as you suggested. I suppose as an England supporter I quite like rolling mauls - we've been the NH experts at them now for a number of years. I'm not thrilled by kicked possession, but, when Ireland were on the attack, they were, IMO, pretty good to watch. Certainly not the best game I've seen, but far from the worst - that accolade goes to Wales in one of the matches (cannot remember who they were playing) during the most recent autumn internationals. Both Butler and Davies sounded depressed and uninspired - there were lengthy periods where neither said anything, and Butler was nigh-on pleading for the referee to end the match it was that turgid.

I'd like to get the Welsh supporter's views on Mike Philips - the more I see of him the more unpleasant he seems to get. His reaction after Ireland's last try seems to sum him up, wanting to pick a fight when he had absolutely no reason to get involved.

Edit - it doesn't have to be welsh supporters only, I'm interested in whether I'm perhaps seeing more in this than is justified.

It's certainly not a case of sour grapes as you played exceptionally well against the All Blacks and had you won that game you would have deserve it purely on the facts that you played the game with ambition and ability and skill, yesterday you played the game with driving lineouts rolling mauls kicked the ball 46 times from possession sorry not sour grapes but that style of play went out when England won the world cup 2003 the game you played is affective but really speaking 10 years out of date.

Surely any decent head coach sets a game plan which plays to his teams' strengths and the opponents' weaknesses? You may consider that style of play to be passé, but, as it suited Ireland to play that way in order to subdue Wales, moaning about it is sour grapes. It's surely a bit disingenuous to say "it isn't sour grapes as I wanted Ireland to beat the All Blacks during the autumn" - whether or not you mind Ireland winning when they're not playing Wales is neither here nor there - it's your reaction when they beat Wales that demonstrates sour grapes.

Back
Top Bottom