Six Nations 2014

UKRob said:
I'd like to get the Welsh supporter's views on Mike Philips - the more I see of him the more unpleasant he seems to get. His reaction after Ireland's last try seems to sum him up, wanting to pick a fight when he had absolutely no reason to get involved.

Edit - it doesn't have to be welsh supporters only, I'm interested in whether I'm perhaps seeing more in this than is justified.

He's the villain we all love to hate but at the same time brings an edge and niggle to the game that makes it exciting. He's a great talent, I like him as a player but I do often wish someone would give him a right good thump and bring him back back down to earth.

It was all a bit of handbags at the end of the game. Phillips was actually sin binned, didn't realize that until long after the game was over.

UKRob said:
I'd like to get the Welsh supporter's views on Mike Philips - the more I see of him the more unpleasant he seems to get. His reaction after Ireland's last try seems to sum him up, wanting to pick a fight when he had absolutely no reason to get involved.

Edit - it doesn't have to be welsh supporters only, I'm interested in whether I'm perhaps seeing more in this than is justified.

I think he revels in having a bit of a reputation as being a "Bad Boy", just google his name and you'll find that he's got himself into a lot of off the field trouble. He recently got sacked from his French club for turning up at training camp off his tits with booze. He got caught on CCTV in a McDonalds in Wales some time back trying to jump the cue, apparently trying to pull the old "do you know who I am" routine. It was funny to see the footage as the guy who he pushed outta the way turned around and decked him! Not unlike a certain Mr. Gavin Henson who's off field antics tend to overshadow his on field activity. As a player he's a bit of an On/Off character in my opinion but in all fairness he's a brilliant player when the mood takes him.

He does come with a bit of baggage Rob, his family are all very sporting quite a good line of amateur boxers including Mike that's where his fiery nature probably comes from, but lets be fare number 9s are usually quite aggressive anyway.

So, another weekend of Six Nations is almost upon us... who do people fancy?

I'll go for a Wales win. Home advantage, they'll be looking to bounce back from their Ireland defeat.

Italy to beat Scotland. I just feel the Italians deserve something, playing better rugby with a bit of passion and fire in their belly.

England - Ireland, a real tough one to decide on. Irish pundits were tipping England to win by a small margin until news came out that Dan Coles is injured and will miss the game. I hate backing Ireland, but I'll put my neck on the block here and give them the nod over England by a single score. This one could go either way though.

I think the England/Ireland game could be decided by the centres rather than the forwards (where I can see a fairly even contest). Watching Ireland against Wales it struck me that in the O'Driscoll/D'Arcy pairing it was D'Arcy who looked as if he was nearer the end of his career - and a fine career it's been.

In any event I agree with jb74 that it's a close one to call - as is Wales/France - I'm thinking home advantage to tip the scales in both matches.

UKRob said:
I think the England/Ireland game could be decided by the centres rather than the forwards

Had a very similar thought myself last night... I think O'Driscoll and D'Arcy are going to have a huge amount of work to do on Saturday. It's not going to be pretty and thinking back to Dublin last year, we were beaten up badly by a younger, fitter, healthier team in a real war of attrition. It's be interesting to see what Schmidt pulls out of the bag tactically for this one.

I think that the game will be decided by whoever wins the contact situation and who uses the bench best. Lancaster, much as I admire him, seems to use his bench very much to a predetermined plan - leave on Care and Hartley for goodness sake, they were our stand out players against France.

Losing Cole will be a big loss, Wilson isn't a bad replacement but he is not up to Cole's level, and Ireland are a pretty street wise unit in the front five. BoD will most certainly be up for this game. I don't think it would be a bad tactic to target him with our big hitters - Vunipola, Burrell, Wood etc - to remove him from the game. He will be a man possessed I believe, and wants to go out with a Slam. and who can blame him.

Prediction - Ireland to win by between five and ten, with England having the majority of the possession and blowing the opportunity.

By the way I just want to blow the trumpet for my team - Moseley, a faded giant of the game who have fallen far, but grimly clinging on. During this 6N four former Moseley players - Johnny May (E), Dan Tuohy (I), Ryan Wilson (S) and Alisdair Dickenson (S) have represented their countries, which is something to shout about in my opinion.

Cheers,

Jon

Or "the last time you play for Wales under me", me being Gatland. He could be shown the door LOL!

Irish pundits O'Gara and Horgan think dropping Phillips will affect Wales negatively. They're on the fence as to who they think will win.

We have two Wales (O'Gara and Brent Pope) and Shane Horgan picking France. Conor O'Shea says Wales also.

jb74 said:
Or "the last time you play for Wales under me", me being Gatland. He could be shown the door LOL!

Irish pundits O'Gara and Horgan think dropping Phillips will affect Wales negatively. They're on the fence as to who they think will win.

We have two Wales (O'Gara and Brent Pope) and Shane Horgan picking France. Conor O'Shea says Wales also.

No disrespect to Ireland but there would only be 4 Irish players could get in the Wales team Cian Healy Jonathan Sexton O'Brien and Paul O'connel and honestly I'm not trying to wind you up.

France were dire. Even so I don't think Alain Rolland would win any popularity contests in France right now. Will someone please explain how Wales last try could possibly be given?

Aye, France were chronic. Wales were efficient, but there was an opportunity there to push for a couple of more tries on the French. Didn't see much wrong with the second try myself.

As for the post regarding Irish players who would or wouldn't make the Welsh team... well I'm positive I don't care and positive I don't see what the relevance is. England tomorrow is all that matters now... gonna be tough.

Back
Top Bottom