Six Nations 2014

Boab said:
I don't make predictions Pugh the special one, I will leave it up you experts. :icon_razz:

I honestly don't mind the result as long as Scotland keep improving.

What did you think of Danny Care's try on Sunday?
I couldn't believe my eyes and assumed that the referee would call him back for some reason. However, there was obviously nothing wrong with what he did - the Welsh players neither were expecting it or reacted quickly enough.

Boab said:
I don't make predictions Pugh the special one, I will leave it up you experts. :icon_razz:

I honestly don't mind the result as long as Scotland keep improving.

What did you think of Danny Care's try on Sunday?

I see you would rather sit on the fence and if it goes right you take a bow, but when it goes wrong you tend fade into the background some of us wear our heart on our sleeves if you are passionate about your sport you tend to not to be a scared of backing your team.

hesitance to choose between two sides in an argument or a competition, or inability to decide due to lack of courage.

France aren't going to roll over in Paris as they are still in with a shout of lifting the trophy themselves and Italy will either be dangerous as they have nothing to lose or a pushover as they have nothing to play for.

Money firmly in pocket this weekend.

I'm torn.... As a proud Englishman (albeit with a minute dribble of Scottish blood) I would love England to win the Championship. However if they don't it will not be a bad thing in the scheme of things (unless they lose to Italy), and I would focus more on the lessons learnt and the progress made, as well as identifying new players and those who have really come on.

On the other hand I think it would be fitting for Ireland to take the spoils and provide BoD with a send off to remember. He announced himself in France all those years ago with a hat trick and hasn't looked back (or taken a backward step) since then. He is a great rugby player in the true sense of the word great. Skillful, courageous, intelligent. Without doubt one of the greatest rugby players of this or any other generation.

Whatever the result on Saturday and the final outcome I thank him for the pleasure he has given and wish him a fine retirement - whatever he does I am sure he will be successful.

Thanks Brian.

Now my predictions....

England to beat Italy by 40-50
Wales to beat Scotland by 20-25
France to beat Ireland by 10-15.

I might even have a wee wager.....

All the best,

Jon

Can't help but think that these predictions of huge margins are way optimistic:

Italy will not lie down - they are all professional players and, even if England dominate possession, they have yet to demonstrate that they can convert that into points.

Similarly Scotland - they may not have much to offer in attack but I would expect their defence to do better than a 20 to 25 point difference.

Ireland have shipped 29 points in 4 games and scored 110 - it's hard to see how a flaky French side will reverse that pattern to such an extent. My money is on a comfortable Irish win.

UKRob said:
Can't help but think that these predictions of huge margins are way optimistic:

Italy will not lie down - they are all professional players and, even if England dominate possession, they have yet to demonstrate that they can convert that into points.

Similarly Scotland - they may not have much to offer in attack but I would expect their defence to do better than a 20 to 25 point difference.

Ireland have shipped 29 points in 4 games and scored 110 - it's hard to see how a flaky French side will reverse that pattern to such an extent. My money is on a comfortable Irish win.

Yep - it is optimistic, but my predictions are based on:

The sun will be out, no weather / pitch excuses
England have made progress and need to score points. They will force Italy into making an enormous number of tackles and they will tire and England will score heavily in 50 - 80 min period.

Wales will be desperate to close on a high and they have an excellent team. Scotland will not lie down, but they will also be forced into a huge tackle shift and it will tell.

France, similarly, will be desperate to finish on a high and are still in with a shout to win the Championship. I also think the occasion may just be a little too much for Ireland. France will hit them mighty hard in the first twenty and if the crowd gets behind them they can play. Remember if it wasn't for bad refereeing France shoudlo have beaten NZ in the World Cup Final. They can rise to the occasion.

I am probably wrong. It was ever thus. However I shall enjoy it greatly.

I pretty much agree with the predictions, and hope Ireland win but I have niggling feeling that they have only won once in 40 years away to France and anyone who watches rugby the one team you never bet against and that's France the enigma of the rugby world. PS I think you will find there are a few Wales players that played against England are highly unlikely to play for Wales again after this six nations Gethin Jenkins will be one and probably Adam Jones and I think Priestlands position is up for grabs also.

In the interest of conversation, how's about we all pick our team of the tournament when it's over?

15. Brown <Write a short comment why per pick>

jb74 said:
In the interest of conversation, how's about we all pick our team of the tournament when it's over?

15. Brown <Write a short comment why per pick>

That requires a far greater depth of understanding of the techicalities than I possess, so I'll limit myself to just one selection - the French winger - I think he's the left winger but he popped up on the right when scoring against England.

Oh, and I'd put a vote in for both English locks.

If it's any consolation for the Welsh lads, I was talking to a woman at work who helps run a small local club. Their Colts went to Wales this weekend for a bit of a 'tour' decked out in Crusader outfits.

Got smashed 80-0 !!!

Turns out the side they played against had some Scarlets and National team players.

Now THAT has been an exciting day's rugby!

French forward pass at the death, had me off my sofa shouting at the telly.

Congratulations Ireland and what a fitting end to Mr O'Driscoll career possibly the greatest center in the northern hemisphere although many experts and Welsh supporters would disagree naming the prince of centers Bleddyn Williams as the best ever, It's going to be a very interesting world cup and six nations next year Wales looked off the pace to me and Rhys Priestland should never have been handed the 10 shirt.

Back
Top Bottom