Six Nations 2014

We really rode our luck in that one... the French were up for it, we were sloppy at times, French dominated territory, Bastardeux was running riot... it was a strange one, not sure we really deserved to win it... but we did... and sometimes you have to have that little bit of luck to carry you over the line. Third Irish try was a huge swing.

I'm glad it's over... talk about heart in the mouth stuff, it was tense from the go. I'll be honest and say I didn't think we would hang on.

Delighted though...

jb74 said:
We really rode our luck in that one... the French were up for it, we were sloppy at times, French dominated territory, Bastardeux was running riot... it was a strange one, not sure we really deserved to win it... but we did... and sometimes you have to have that little bit of luck to carry you over the line. Third Irish try was a huge swing.

I'm glad it's over... talk about heart in the mouth stuff, it was tense from the go. I'll be honest and say I didn't think we would hang on.

Delighted though...

Neither did I! What amused me was that, as an Englishman, even I was shouting "forward pass!" when the French appeared to have taken the match late on. I blame my very small %age of Irish ancestry!:icon_razz:

pugh-the-special-one said:
Congratulations Ireland and what a fitting end to Mr O'Driscoll career possibly the greatest center in the northern hemisphere although many experts and Welsh supporters would disagree naming the prince of centers Bleddyn Williams as the best ever, It's going to be a very interesting world cup and six nations next year Wales looked off the pace to me and Rhys Priestland should never have been handed the 10 shirt.

Yes, it was a poor championship for the Welsh. They'll be pushing to get back to their best now and they have time to do it for the World Cup. England learnt a lot, especially in the France an Ireland games, so hopefully they'll keep on improving. Ireland are still going to be strong even without BOD and France are as inconsistent as ever. So barring injuries there will be some good close matches for the northern hemisphere teams from now to the World Cup.

I just watched the highlights of the France Ireland game... Lord almighty, even knowing the outcome it was bloody exciting, the last few minutes were absolutely frantic.

Congratulations to Ireland! Although I'm not the greatest of rugby fans, the ball being the wrong shape, as one might say, I usually enjoy the six or five nations as it used to be. From a Scottish perspective, it was a highly disappointing campaign. We were poor and like startled rabbits against the English, rode our luck but with determination against Italy, really should have beaten the French and got dismally dismantled by the Welsh, who were so superior as to make the Scots look like schoolboys. I heartily agree that luck often plays a apart but I also believe that you can make your own luck to a certain extent and never a truer word was said when Jamie described the French as the enigmas of the Rugby Union world. As mentioned above, a most fitting end to Mr. O'Driscoll's international career and one which he fully deserves to look back upon with pride not to mention a wee glass of Jamieson's and a glow in his heart. England blew hot and cold but showed much promise, Wales the same but I feel and hope they will return better and stronger. Ireland will always be a force to be reckoned with and for the French, who can guess? But Scotland, I fear have much work to do - I was vainly hoping for a much stronger challenge than they presented to Wales who hammered us severely.

Anyway, I've decided sport is unhealthy, at least to watch. My international rugby team turn out dire just when I think they might be turning a corner and my football team is going down, down, down. Pooh! I at least enjoyed what I saw of both the Winter Olympics and Winter Paralympics, especially Lizzy Yarnold's immense performance.

Gairdner said:
I heartily agree that luck often plays a apart but I also believe that you can make your own luck to a certain extent

Is correct but I believe that the very top sportsmen and women follow Gary Player's line that "the harder I practice the luckier I become........."

jds said:
Gairdner said:
I heartily agree that luck often plays a apart but I also believe that you can make your own luck to a certain extent

Is correct but I believe that the very top sportsmen and women follow Gary Player's line that "the harder I practice the luckier I become........."

I think Graeme is spot on - the French/England match hinged on 3 lucky bounces - two where the French scored tries and 1 that foiled an England score.

On the other side of the coin you have Leigh Halfpenny dislocating a shoulder that will keep him sidelined for months. At least he has the consolation that had it happened at the same stage last season it would have cost him a Lions winning tour - whereas this time around it might even benefit him to have a few months away. Whether we call it luck, fortune or even karma, it seems to play a part.

Something occured to me when shaving this morning - when it comes to national teams, where does N. Ireland fit in? I'm sure that many years ago, players from the north appeared for Ireland but don't know whether my memory is playing tricks.

Is it a case - as with cricket - that the rules are more relaxed and that an NI player could represent England? I'm not talking about residential qualification or the parent/grandparent thing - I'm thinking about someone who was, born, resides and plays there.

UKRob said:
Something occured to me when shaving this morning - when it comes to national teams, where does N. Ireland fit in? I'm sure that many years ago, players from the north appeared for Ireland but don't know whether my memory is playing tricks.

Is it a case - as with cricket - that the rules are more relaxed and that an NI player could represent England? I'm not talking about residential qualification or the parent/grandparent thing - I'm thinking about someone who was, born, resides and plays there.

Still the case that they play for Ireland.

shavecraft said:

Yes - co-incidentally, the BBC has an item mentioning that Ulster's Jared Payne is in line to replace BOD - he happens to be a New Zealander who has represented Ulster since 2011 so will soon qualify through residence - but it stacks up with what you said.

UKRob said:
shavecraft said:

Yes - co-incidentally, the BBC has an item mentioning that Ulster's Jared Payne is in line to replace BOD - he happens to be a New Zealander who has represented Ulster since 2011 so will soon qualify through residence - but it stacks up with what you said.

Yep. The Irish Rugby team has always been the whole of Ireland. Some significant figures too, from Ulster - Willie - John McBride for one and one of my role models as I was growing up - Nigel Carr (who formed one half of a formidable all Ulster 6/7 combination with Philip Mathews). His career was ended due to injuries sustained during an IRA bomb explosion.

It is also true that during the height of the troubles in the early 70's Wales and Scotland opted not to fulfill the fixture in Dublin, but England (who weren't particularly successful at the time) did travel and play, prompting the priceless line from their captain, John Pullin "We might not be much good, but at least we turn up)". The act of England turning up and playing their fixture is held with great affection with Irish rugby supporters, I believe.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom