SOTD : Saturday 16 July - Friday 22 July 2022.

Monday 18th July

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Signature Soaps Britannia Shaving Soap
Yaqi Dandelion w/Cashmere Synthetic 24mm
Wilkinson Sword Hydro Advanced System
Skin Protection Advanced Cartridge (1) < Removed gloop pod strip
Brut Splash-On

Kicking off my kit for the week ...

It's the very lovely (and cooling) Signature Soaps Britannia lathered up with the very lovely Yaqi Dandelion with the cashmere knot. What I really like about the soap is how @BrianH has not gone for the vogue with face-freezer menthol but a gentle cooling from the spearmint; certainly very welcome on a day like today!

Back on the WIlkie cartridge system with the advanced handle that has the second pivot and the cartridge with the gloop strip removed, making a great setup from the off for folks like us with great traditional soaps.

Spearmint and anise in the soap is picked up really well by the (more anise scented) Brut Splash-On, cooling somehow in its own way. Face, neck, chest, back of neck, top of head.

Hotter tomorrow and then that's it! Back to temperatures in the 20s. Keep cool, folks!
Thanks, we all need something cooling today. Think it might be a beer not a shaving soap though. Best Regards Brian

Tue 19th July

The Grosvenor 404 mixed
Lea Classic soap
Schick I1
Schick S/S Twin Japan ( 8 )
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

I rather fancied a nice no rush Shave today and made a good selection. The little 404 whipped up a splendid lather and its soft tips made lather application a pleasure.This Razor/Blade combo is really good, and by maintaining a good lather presence throughout the Shave, without fuss an ultra close finish was attained. Shaves like these justify the expense of the Twin Blade.

59DF42C2-7595-4D41-AA36-510F0035F3A9.jpeg

A26575BE-94D1-4817-911C-2EC7F35AFDF1.jpeg
SOTD: 19/07/2022

Razor: Green Cult Razor
Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: PAA Future Fiction Croap
Aftershave: PAA Future Fiction Cologne
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Another super close shave from the Green Cult. I thought I give my favourite PAA soap a run out before I see my sister this weekend and pick up my parcel of goodies from PAA, including the EDT version of this! Still one my favourite citrus scents. Ready to face the hottest day of the year so far!

IMG_1497.jpg

We’ve been lucky in Edinburgh, as the temperature has pushed 30C but not breached it. Nonetheless, a cooling shave was called for, so the menthol products came to the fore. First was Proraso Green and then Stirling Soaps’ Margaritas in the Arctic.

Even with this little lot, and cooler water than usual, it was still not enough to cool me down. I’m now at my computer desk with two fans going and they’re not enough. Phew! I pity you folk, down south. Must be horrible.

Despite the great performance of the soap, lather-wise if not cooling-wise, this was a disappointing shave from the Rex. On some days it’s quick, efficient and smooth, on others it literally doesn’t cut it. Today was one of those days. I don’t know whether it’s the angle, the blade or not enough pressure but it took three passes above the neck and a fourth on the neck to clear everything off. At other times, whoosh it’s done. I reached BBS and without irritation, except that it took too many passes. Hmmm what to do ...?

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Israeli Crystal (1)
Soap: Stirling Soaps Margaritas in the Arctic
Brush: PAA Peregrino
Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Post-shave: None
Bowl: Face lather

Tuesday AM 2022-07-19
Samuel Colt birthdate in 1814
oplIfct.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Faux Ebony Finest (24/57)
Ethos Grooming Lavender Supreme shaving soap
Wolfman WR2-SB/Darwin Copper
Wilkinson Light Brigade (6)
Caron Pour un Homme aftershave
KE0KRlM.jpg

And on a hot and bothering type of day, then neither can I. So themed, 'I can't be bothered either'

20220719_115040.jpg

The fastest milkman in the west - Occams Ernie
Sweat baby sweat - Feather Super Professional
I'm melting, I'm melting - Abatte Y Mantia Krokus
It's like an oven. Said a baker - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Cor, wot a scorcher - Abatte Y Mantia Krokus splash

'You think it's hot? You ought to try my fucking place'

A superb shave at the end of a rather warm day and extremely refreshing if ever. And all I can think is 'How do those bearded weirdos manage in this?' May they rediscover the art of blades.

Have a cooler one tomorrow hopefully, you lovely forum folk.

Hot? Have some Beaver. They are. Or so I think

Back
Top Bottom