SOTD: Saturday 31 December 2022. - Friday 6 January 2023.

6/1/23

Pre - Palmolive
Brush - Yaqi G5 23mm
Soap - Nivea Sensitive Pro
Razor - Gillette New on Yaqi Handle
Blade - Gillette London Bridge (3)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Brut Oceans

Now and again, I pop into Superdrug, to see if they'd restocked the wonderful aftershave splashes 'Forest Fresh' and 'Sierran Breeze' and I'd see a bottle of Nivea shaving cream, with a weed leaf on the bottle and dismiss it's credibility as a product down to the very leaf! It wouldn't be a serious shaving cream with a weed leaf, but curiousity got the better of me and I bought the product.
First observations - there's a weed leaf on the bottle. I've said that right? Ok, move on to the second observation - 200ml for £2.24 seems good value for money.
It has a pump, so I squirted a few dollops into my bowl and built a lather, then transferred it to my face. It's not the thickest lather, but a very slick one, that provided good protection with good residual slickness at the end of the shave, and even with my incredibly sensitive shave, I had no irritation at any time in the shave and my face felt great at the end of the shave as well. It has a mild scent, inoffensive scent that washes off the skin at the end of the shave reasonably well.
For a first outing, I am incredibly impressed with the Nivea Sensitive Pro shaving cream, I will give it a few more outings before making a more detailed appreciation, but it's a good start nonetheless.
A really nice shave with the London Bridge blade in the New, it's a mild razor so even with a sharp blade, I was able to get 3 passes which were very comfortable.

Have a good Friday gents.

IMG_20230106_124104.jpg

Last edited:
Frameback Fri 6
Soap CBL Tonsorial Cigar Shop Hombre
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor Thiers Issard 69 Frameback
Aftershave Stirling Haverford Splash
I wonder why I don't use this soap more. The cigarish scent is so pure & aromatic after lathering... truly a rich creamy and slick lather. Closes splash to match. The brush is just awesome...larger than large!
A much better performance from this razor after putting it through the full diamond pasted balsa progression from a LaLune edge. After stroping on the Kanayama, buttery smoothness is felt for the 3 passes resulting in a bbs-dfs finish without any issues...superb!!
20230106_131811.jpg

SOTD 20230106.
n0oHDjC.jpg

Noxzema "Classic" pre-shave cream.
J&T® black walnut / APShaveCo STF.
LYAXEYKA_73 "#2" shaving soap.
Personna Platinum Chrome (2).
Pinaud "Lilac Vegetal" ASL.

Noble Otter ‘Monoi de Tahiti’
SOC Cherrywood boar
Eveready Jewel
GEM coated #1
Institute Karinite ASB

First use of the soap which has a floral note and ginger top note, smells like sun cream in a pleasant way, performs well. Always like using the Eveready razor but not the first use of the blade which is usually a bit rough but not today. Application of balm mainly as a moisturiser for the cold winds.

Friday 6 January

Picked up an Ikon B1 OC from @MrK1, it came with a good looking but fairly heavy generic SS handle however I fitted a lighter Muhle black handle for the first shave ‘cos I thought it looked better with the black OC. Started with a dab of ManCave beard oil as a pre shave oil then soaped up with Bay Rum and my Ever Ready synthetic and fitted Personna platinum chrome (4x). The feel and balance felt really good but I quickly found the Muhle handle very slippery. So refitted the heavier and grippier SS which also felt fine and finished the shave. Two passes and minor pick ups for BBS finish. I’m really impressed with the B1 OC, I didn’t have much stubble but it cleared it without fuss or face damage. I have read that some users have found it on the aggressive side, but I didn’t have that impression, from this shave at least. Maybe choice of blade makes a big difference?
Splashed on some vintage Avon Wild Country, smells OK at first but quickly fades, probably due to age :oops:

Have a good evening fellas

5B330D4B-66A6-4C43-B4D8-E5D78A470CA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Friday 6th January

Soap • Stirling Gentleman
Brush • Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor • Timeless 0.68 SS Scalloped
Blade • Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Post • Stirling Gentleman Balm

Stirling Gentleman really does have a lovely scent (although I couldn't describe it for toffee!)
Performance is excellent, and the matching balm is very good too.

Enjoy the weekend everyone

Rating: 2 / 5

Razor: Gillette Fat Tech gold
Blade: Cromax Stainless
Brush: Semogue 1305
Lather: Wickham Imperial Tonic
Aftershave: Cella Lozione Dopobarba

First go at this blade. It's not coated so I was prepared for a little more 'heat' than I usually get from my choices of blades. This had the heat and not much cutting power. I did three passes and the result was OK but it wasn't an enjoyable shave.
I even switched the blade for another example in case it was a dud but it was the same experience.

If anyone wants the remaining three blades send me a PM with your postal address (UK only) and I'll send them off to you. https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63b874f3718a6562eace6e29PXL_20230106_184429353.jpg

Back
Top Bottom