SOTD: Saturday February 18 - Friday 24 February 2023.

I have never used a boar with MWF....but would like to. How wet is the brush?
Not massively, squeeze and flick after the soak. I still go in for a heavy load. I'd loaded a bit too much this morning and had to go back to the water a couple of times.

I'll try again tomorrow with a boar and see
Can't do any harm, I just think the stiffer bristles manage to dig out and pick up enough to explode. Or it certainly seems to for me, but as you say if it's a dodge puck it may be more of a challenge.

Sat 18
Soap Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Silvertip
Razor Gold Dollar 208
Aftershave Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice enough lather from the soap & brush combination. Smell nice and slick enough...
Thanks to diamond-pasted balsa (and Kanayama), this razor's edge is buttery soft smoothness and very keen. The shave from it is just awesome, beating some of my more illustrious razors. 3 efficient passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20230218_175808.jpg

PXL_20230218_134356148.jpg
SOTD February 18. 2023

Razor - Blackland Blackbird Ti
Blade - Bolzano superinox, Egypt.
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Brush - Goodfellas Wild Hog (Omega)
Bowl - Captain's Choice Copper (Aqua Marine)
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

A stella shave, close but very smooth, I suspect that the razor paired with this blade is the perfect pairing!
The Fat plus a small amount of glycerin produced a thick silky stable lather that would have given so called top end soaps a run for their money!
All hail the fat!
A small amount of the Refinery ASB to finish.
YSL Kouros sprayed here there and everywhere because I love it! :)

Until the next time,

Paul.

Last edited:
I have never used a boar with MWF....but would like to. How wet is the brush?

I soak my pig for a few minutes, then squeeze out all the water, the pig will have enough moisture to pick enough soap.

Also as I soak my brush I put some of the warm water over the Fat. Before loading the brush I pour off the excess water from the Fat into my hands and rub into my face before face lathering.

IMO having too wet a pig when loading will lead to a foamy Fat lather, it's better to add the water as you load.

I soak my pig for a few minutes, then squeeze out all the water, the pig will have enough moisture to pick enough soap.

Also as I soak my brush I put some of the warm water over the Fat. Before loading the brush I pour off the excess water from the Fat into my hands and rub into my face before face lathering.

IMO having too wet a pig when loading will lead to a foamy Fat lather, it's better to add the water as you load.
Until a few days ago I have only ever used a badger with 'The Fat'. As I intend to use it a lot more in the future I just want to try things differently

Last edited:
ofcgLyl.jpg

I used a NOS Derby blade today on a whim as I have not used one in years!! DFS!
The soap however......:love: B&M Marilyn is simply exquisite. I have never smelled a more alluring shaving soap. Just beautiful!!
NOS sample of B&M Ravish AS.

18 February, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Rooney Heritage 2XL Jade
Soap: Gentleman’s Nod: Zaharoff Signature Leather Tabac ( C4 )
Fragrance: Zaharoff Signature Leather Tabac.. well, what else?

1st time with the Platinum, and although I ended up with a terrific shave, I was a little disappointed in the fact that it didn't come across as smooth as I anticipated.. 1st pass was quite tuggy, but it settled down as I got into the shave.. time will tell with that one.. maybe needs corking before 1st use. We shall see.
The Nod is exemplary in its performance, and the fact that they got the scent spot on is worthy of much applause.
Yeah, a great shave, with only a minor issue...

Until a few days ago I have only ever used a badger with 'The Fat'. As I intend to use it a lot more in the future I just want to try things differently
If you are looking for options In my experience MWF/Kent responds well to a denser horse knot - you strike me as just the sort of man who might well own one. :) I've the Vie-Long Epsilon short-loft and it works a treat. Only issue I would mention - given the loading time - don't use one that is in anyway prone to tangling. - cheers - I.

Back
Top Bottom