SOTD: Saturday February 18 - Friday 24 February 2023.

Sat 18
Soap Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Silvertip
Razor Gold Dollar 208
Aftershave Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice enough lather from the soap & brush combination. Smell nice and slick enough...
Thanks to diamond-pasted balsa (and Kanayama), this razor's edge is buttery soft smoothness and very keen. The shave from it is just awesome, beating some of my more illustrious razors. 3 efficient passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
View attachment 100862

If you are looking for options In my experience MWF/Kent responds well to a denser horse knot - you strike me as just the sort of man who might well own one. :) I've the Vie-Long Epsilon short-loft and it works a treat. Only issue I would mention - given the loading time - don't use one that is in anyway prone to tangling. - cheers - I.
I have never used a horse hair brush, do you think I should buy one? Don't worry about enabling I can do that for myself!!!
:)

Paul.

Saturday AM 2023-02-18
Mark Twain published 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' on this date in 1885
ZKEjLdT.jpg

Rooney Stubby 3XL Porcelain Finest (2-ring) (30/52)
Floris Elite shaving cream (vintage)
Carbon Damascus Adamas
Personna 74 Tungsten (7)
Floid Blue aftershave

The cream has retained its scent better than old soaps do and better than most old creams, and it made excellent lather. Unfortunately, it is almost gone, and I have never seen it offered other the one time when I bought it. The razor gives me great auditory feedback yet is very efficient and extremely smooth with the vintage blade.
CZtV9IA.jpg
LMXxK1q.jpg

ofcgLyl.jpg

I used a NOS Derby blade today on a whim as I have not used one in years!! DFS!
The soap however......:love: B&M Marilyn is simply exquisite. I have never smelled a more alluring shaving soap. Just beautiful!!
NOS sample of B&M Ravish AS.
In my admittedly not very well valued opinion, Derby blades get a bad reputation. The blades are sharp and smooth like most blades.
I think the reason they are not seen as good blades is that they are classed as starter blades, and with the rubbish technique people think they are not as good as blades they use when they have a good technique. I have found that there is not much difference between blades, some are slightly better than others but not shite, as in a great difference.

My first entry for this week and a bit of a quickie due to having to go do some pulling in the morning and in need of a rest before I start. It happens in your 60's. So this one comes themed, 'Sorted in under 10 minutes'

20230218_181720.jpg

5 minute razor - Razorock Hawk V3
30 second blade - Schick Proline
6 minute brush - Captain Fawcett's
2 minutes to midnight - Murdock's cream
7.30pm moisturiser - Scottish Fine Soaps

'I know the feeling'

I did have every intention of dragging out the Kent (MWF for people down south), but I couldn't decide if I needed a pig, a horse or a Badger. Too much for my small mind and thought 'Sod this for a game of shaving' and hence reached for a synthetic and a tub of cream. But a nice brush (if not Action Man proportioned) and a nice cream. Does the same as MWF minus the palaver.

A great team effort from a pathetically small brush and a tub of cream. Job done. And all wonderfully removed by the Hawk. Job done. And all of this so I can go tugging in the morning. Job not done.

'Time for bed' said a strange man with a big spring up his arse. So I leave you in the very capable hands of those wonderful girls, Band Maid. Similar to Rubbermaid but more attractive than a mop bucket......and may you dream of sharing a tug with them........

If you are looking for options In my experience MWF/Kent responds well to a denser horse knot - you strike me as just the sort of man who might well own one. :) I've the Vie-Long Epsilon short-loft and it works a treat. Only issue I would mention - given the loading time - don't use one that is in anyway prone to tangling. - cheers - I.
What ever would make you think that?;). I have a few candidates...Zenith 50/50, Zenith Supersoft, a Semogue and a Boti. Is scritch better than Softness? I re knotted all my Vie-Long Horse brushes because of the tangling issue.

Last edited:
6277D2C0-9947-4702-85BF-8918F7BC2658.jpeg
SOTD: 18/02/2023

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Titan Mild Pink, 11th use
Brush: ZENITH Unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Vetimore Shaving Butter Puck
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: Noble Otter Neon Sun EdT

For whatever reason there are some soaps this little piggy doesn’t seem to like. It normally lathers a treat and feels fantastic but this is a soap to note it doesn’t like! It needed a huge load just to get a basic light foamy lather. Normally the brush performs admirably and the soap lather’s wonderfully but today it was not to be. Regardless a satisfactory shave was had and I’ll know for next time.

In my admittedly not very well valued opinion, Derby blades get a bad reputation. The blades are sharp and smooth like most blades.
I think the reason they are not seen as good blades is that they are classed as starter blades, and with the rubbish technique people think they are not as good as blades they use when they have a good technique. I have found that there is not much difference between blades, some are slightly better than others but not shite, as in a great difference.
Well said.. Technique & shaving confidence are the key to good shaving results IMHO.
The love/hate Derby blade are a prime example of "a bad worker always blame's his tools.

Back
Top Bottom