SOTD: Saturday February 25 - Friday 3 March 2023.

PXL_20230301_110628122~2.jpg
SOTD March 1. 2023.

Razor - Henson Shaving - Ti22 ++ V2
Blade - Astra SP
Soap - Rex Supply Co - 1955
Brush - Alpha Bulldog silvertip
Bowl - Capitans Choice - Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

Today's shave saw me testing two new shaving item's, the Henson Shaving Co - Ti22 and the 1955 Shaving soap from Rex Supply Co.
The soap soon lathered beautifully with the aid of the Alpha Bulldog brush, thick, creamy and glossy.
I paired the Ti22 with an Astra SP because this was the blade that the people at Henson designed the razor around but of course any DE razor blade will work but i like Astra SP blades anyway.
The shave was very good indeed, the soap was stable and provided slip slide and cushion, the razor was so easy to use and it munched through my stubble with ease and with hardly any blade feel if any at all.
I will get into the specs of this razor at a later date but it's truly amazing!
The soap and razor worked wonderfully, top marks on both.
I was left with a really clean finish and my skin felt supple. A great shave!

Until the next time, stay safe and shave happy!

Paul.

Last edited:
View attachment 101572
SOTD March 1. 2023.

Razor - Henson Shaving - Ti22 ++ V2
Blade - Astra SP
Soap - Rex Supply Co - 1955
Brush - Alpha Bulldog silvertip
Bowl - Capitans Choice - Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

Today's shave saw me testing two new shaving item's, the Henson Shaving Co - Ti22 and the 1955 Shaving soap from Rex Supply Co.
The soap soon lathered beautifully with the aid of the Alpha Bulldog brush, thick, creamy and glossy.
I paired the Ti22 with an Astra SP because this was the blade that the people at Henson designed the razor around but of course any DE razor blade will work but i like Astra SP blades anyway.
The shave was very good indeed, the soap was stable and provided slip slide and cushion, the razor was so easy to use and it munched through my stubble with ease and with hardly any blade feel, I will get into the specs of this razor at a later date but it's truly amazing!
The soap and razor worked wonderfully, top marks on both.
I was left with a really clean finish and my skin felt supple. A great shave!

Until the next time, stay safe and shave happy!

Paul.

Lovely stuff. Your new Henson looks superb.

The new shaving soap seems to be a winner as well.

01/03/23
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus Pure Bristle 1950
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 "Travel"
Blade - Vintage Perma-sharp Supreme
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Floïd Balm
A/S - Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso
Wk 09 (5).JPG
Another cracker from start to finish.
I think maybe 2 more shaves from the Gibbs vintage cream at a push 3, i will truly miss using this for my Vintage shaves. It produces a great lather.
The Slim and GB Perma-sharp Supreme is a great combo, so smooth. I just set the razor to #4 and away i went. 3 passes for an easy BBS finish.
A nice post shave routine leaving me as smooth as glass and as comfortable "as an auld shoe".
The Dentists went well yesterday and the 2 extracted teeth sockets are healing nicely and i have no pain - woo.gif
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Shave of The Day 1/3

For the 1st shave of the month I thought I would shake things up a bit and discard all of my usual kit. I hunted around for suitable alternatives. Came up with this lot:

20230301_165800.jpg

The washing up liquid did not lather up well, but was quite slippery. It allowed the old disposable Bic to skid across my face in a haphazard manner.

The razor wasn't great. I ended up doing many, many passes. At least the least the washing up liquid left a nice citrusy smell. Until the after shave!

I thought the PeriPeri sauce would provide a robust sting to my slightly sore face, but this was ridiculous. Smells great though and I think I still look pretty!

Freddy_Cosplay.jpg

Shave of The Day 1/3

For the 1st shave of the month I thought I would shake things up a bit and discard all of my usual kit. I hunted around for suitable alternatives. Came up with this lot:

View attachment 101593

The washing up liquid did not lather up well, but was quite slippery. It allowed the old disposable Bic to skid across my face in a haphazard manner.

The razor wasn't great. I ended up doing many, many passes. At least the least the washing up liquid left a nice citrusy smell. Until the after shave!

I thought the PeriPeri sauce would provide a robust sting to my slightly sore face, but this was ridiculous. Smells great though and I think I still look pretty!

View attachment 101594
I thought it was 1st April for a moment!

Fifth shave with the Gillette Platinum blade. The Popular is another of my razors I haven't used got a very long time. It's a mild yet efficient razor and I think the only reason I stopped using it was because it has a plastic hollow handle and is a little long.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1960s)
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: Hampshire Wool Fat No. 1
Aftershave: Lider Classic lotion https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63ff909ad581142156d56e62

1/3/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Derby Stick
Brush - Shed Eleven/Boti N3C
Razor - Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade - Astra SP (2)
Post - Lea Balm
AS - Brut Oceans

First non Fat shave for a month, I didn't really give much thought aside from it was right in front of me. Not a bad lather but it's not as glorious as the Fat!

Mainly used it as I thought I'd use my newish Shed 11 with a Boti N3C, which is a quite a bit different to my other synths. It's very stiff for face lathering, it's not really friendly for splay either and as expected, it took a lot more soap to get going. But, it is a truly wonderful knot for hydrating a lather with. I will give it a run out to see how it performs with a few different soaps and creams.

A special mention for the handle. It's not just a functional work of art, but incredibly ergonomic.

Have a good start to the week gents.

IMG_20230301_162427.jpg

Wednesday AM 2023-03-01
Birthdate in 1922 of William Gaines, founder of 'Mad' magazine
HThwIWy.jpg

Rooney 2/1 Ivory Finest (22/56)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 shaving cream
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Personna 74 Tungsten (18)
Maurer & Wirtz 4711 aftershave
pYExvA3.jpg
zCozkid.jpg

It's been a while since I've posted one of these, laziness and life are my very poor excuses.

Razor, Tatara Masamume
Blade, GSB (1st use)
Soap, Peek a Boo
Brush, Yaqi
Post, Southern Witchcraft, Incorporeal
Music, Richard Ashcroft

The soap lathered up like a dream, very thick and creamy with a lovely scent. It provided a lovely surface to work on. I did my usual 3 grain pass. And what can I say, very very impressed. I thought that this razor may not be as efficient as some of my other purportedly more aggressive razors.

It may be smoother, milder if you will but it was every bit as efficient. I'm glad I took a chance. What a great razor and I'd suggest could be a daily shaver for all.

Best,

Ben

Wednesday 1st March

AMWts8Bgsw76A_SphF8FQYX9Z7P4-9CU760T-dxSGscVwhd4JjZnMrjHdiiSmD8vOpw2b39LrCKodp5fCYHPR1OKJRPKYJHkj-f9MLD4smezWYBa9Ps7Vv_2kgR3Cp1VuCbTwzL_zkUtHd6A0IvTuKezzPpmJg=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Cyril R Salter Shaving Soap & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic 26mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Lord Extra Super Stainless
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT

Well, that answers that then ... regarding the Lord Extra vs Lord Super. I'll leave it there as I do have (no, I really do have) a Lord guide coming. It is written but I am running a few blades through this week and next to just sanity check some of what I have written and pit certain extremes against each other back to back to really test a hypothesis. Nuff said. I do need a title, coz 'Praise the Lord' is just not cutting it for me.

During Mitchell's Holy Month I bought in a stack of new soap and so I now get to try 'em out ...

Tonight, the Cyril R Salter cheapo puck which has no aspirations above its station but nevertheless certainly does punch much higher than its otherwise lowly class. It is a superb soap indeed! I think the divisive bit comes from the scent, which is herbal ... not necessarily just lavender, although it is there, but I think it's backed up by thyme. The closest I've experienced is a vintage Culmak (from the 1980s) which has a similar (although perhaps faded) herbal scent. It's certainly not the powdery blast that, say, Boots Old (Lady) English Lavender is.

Yeah! That's a good 'un! Glad to have it in the fold.

After using the Fat for a month, I've taken a few things. It can be a fiddly soap to lather with at times, I think it's down to it being quite a thirsty soap, and falsely it has the reputation 'load it like you hate it'. If this is done then it's easy to end up with a soap that will dry on your face in bits. The tricky thing is finding the sweet spot to load, especially if you've been using softer soaps. For building a lather, I found the Fat takes a bit of time to build up and get in as much air and water to obtain the slick shiny glossy lather it is capable of doing.
In terms of performance, it leaves great residual slickness for the second pass (or more) but I find it's post shave feel is where it really shines. After a month of using it, my face is delightfully soft. All that lanolin goodness I imagine!

I find (now) it's all about faith (yeah, just to amplify the zealotry that surrounds the soap) ... and probably why I got it so right when I first came to traditional shaving.

You get your brush soaked and flick out the water so it's practically too dry (something I would likely have done as a beginner) ... have faith. Then, load up with maybe 10-15 swirls in either direction which more experience shavers might feel is not enough ... again, have faith. Get lathering and it just comes together.

Back
Top Bottom