SOTD: Saturday February 25 - Friday 3 March 2023.

iKon X3 Bulldog | Gillette Nacet | RazoRock German 37 Slant | Personna PC | Omega 20102 Boar | Cyril R Salter SS | Benjamin’s Bay Rum | 3P Pre/Post | Bronnley English Fern Cologne

CD245D93-8CD6-43FC-90F7-2309619E8B69.jpeg
313288B2-A96E-4B11-ACDE-17BAF911359C.jpeg

33EC478E-1433-470D-AB87-2CB74460BCFF.jpeg

2A071F3B-704E-4B15-BD6A-E9911BEF5FB9.jpeg

I never expected to shave with TWO slants today but tremendous generosity came calling. I had my freshly polished aluminium head iKon X3 lined up for todays mow around but a very kind chap (Peter @slapo ) PIFfed me a RazoRock German 37 Slant which dropped on the doormat just before action commenced. How kind was that? Fair blew my socks off, so it did. Battle of the slants? Nah, I’m not analytical enough to draw such lofty comparisons. Cheers Peter, top man. I hope I may be excused the four pictures I took in my excitement....

The angle of attack will be the same as your non folding Paul, you just have to find a comfortable position to hold the scales, most of mine are non folding but when I do use the folding type I will sometimes open it right up and it just becomes an extension and I hold as if I'm holding a non folding. I'm sure you will find the best way for you to hold it in use. Good luck and may the fat be with you! :)

Paul.
Hi Paul

I did find the angle very much the same as with the non folding type. The ridge (sp)? above the blade isn't quite as pronounced as on the Feather, but it did feel quite mild.
I think I'll work it out - eventually.
I kind of felt as though either I had too many fingers, or the scales were getting in the way.
I think watching a few more shave videos on YouTube will help with this?

Hi Paul

I did find the angle very much the same as with the non folding type. The ridge (sp)? above the blade isn't quite as pronounced as on the Feather, but it did feel quite mild.
I think I'll work it out - eventually.
I kind of felt as though either I had too many fingers, or the scales were getting in the way.
I think watching a few more shave videos on YouTube will help with this?
Yes, watching men shave themselves on YouTube always works for me !!! :)

Paul.

It's a thing.

43c84a0de6701410cda8edddd4e65902.jpg

4825b7103b75d86b17d0ac9b10aadcd1.jpg

670827fca31098aaa32bbc700047d698.jpg

2011-07-02%2BBicycle%2BFriends%2BTall%2BBike%2Ba.jpg

2126136648_ee09f2d7bb.jpg

touring-tall-bike-zenga-bros.jpg
Cuba.

Cuban+Man%27s+Super+Tall+Bike+-+1.jpg

Cuban+Man%27s+Super+Tall+Bike+-+2.jpg

Third shave with the Spoiler this time in another long unused but much respected razor head, the Stahly Live Blade.
I don't use the large vibrating handle (I think my missus has it!) so stuck it on a cheap bulldog handle and it makes a very nice shaver.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Stahly Live Blade (head only)
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless "the Spoiler"
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: Ach Brito Lavanda
Aftershave: Lider Classic lotion https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/6402323cd581142156d56eb2

Friday 2nd March

AMWts8BMaU-DP_taT8YV6Q-P-oDcUuzEZUTscb3Ux6mc_jePL0HFPWezwvhJZxBttZcep3dYLUJkWZOhqbi79qZwVnYqoorr1m6RpCAuA81kGsk0CbDSMRpLyToaI3IeFhcMmJaY5QGkX8f8HNi11RfCu5CbXg=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Butters Sandalwood Shaving Soap & Razorock Hive Synthetic 24mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Lord Superior Platinum
Drakkar Noir Aftershave

By 'eck! That is a sharp blade ... and not very friendly, either. Bracing!

I think (like SuperMax) that Lord have a couple of generations of blade going on here. This Superior Platinum in what appears to be older-style packaging has a wrapper that says "New" on it and is also found as the Lord Tajam and the Premium Platinum (in the plastic cases). The (ironically named) New Platinum Class in the white/blue packaging feels like a different blade - sharper still yet a more refined? That Platinum Class blade is the same as can be found in the Shark, ASCO, Crown and Racer tucks.

I abjectly do not like the New Platinum Class blades and find myself with post-shave irritation from what is otherwise a pretty aggressive street fight. That said, this blade did not quite have the same kind of fight; more like a duel than a knife fight. No blood, but heck I had to be careful ... and was given a really very pleasing shave in a single pass. There are easier ways to get satisfaction from a single pass shave, though.

Probably one I'd use again, to be frank, whereas the Platinum Class (Lord, Shark, ASCO, Crown & Racer) is firmly in my "hell no!" pile.

I think (like SuperMax) that Lord have a couple of generations of blade going on here. This Superior Platinum in what appears to be older-style packaging has a wrapper that says "New" on it and is also found as the Lord Tajam and the Premium Platinum (in the plastic cases). The (ironically named) New Platinum Class in the white/blue packaging feels like a different blade - sharper still yet a more refined? That Platinum Class blade is the same as can be found in the Shark, ASCO, Crown and Racer tucks.

Probably one I'd use again, to be frank, whereas the Platinum Class (Lord, Shark, ASCO, Crown & Racer) is firmly in my "hell no!" pile.

Interesting. I thought I found the Shark and the standard Lord Platinum to be different blades, I will give them a go to see if they are the same.

I think you're probably right, I found the Lord Stainless varieties of blades were much of a muchness, pretty good though.

Interesting. I thought I found the Shark and the standard Lord Platinum to be different blades, I will give them a go to see if they are the same.

I think you're probably right, I found the Lord Stainless varieties of blades were much of a muchness, pretty good though.

It might be a generation thing.

Yeah, I'm finding all these blades good ... just not as good as, say, SuperMax (who I hold in high esteem) and certainly not as exciting as the newer crop of sub-continent.

Hi Chris, I'm so pleased that your wet shaving ceremony lift's your spirits and it's really good to see you back here posting on SOTD, Many of us have never met eachother but you are certainly among friends here at TSR. :)

Paul.
Cheers Paul, while there are many wet shave forums, for me this is the best - as you say, a place where friends come together - to share, to have a laugh and the odd tear. As a community, this is one of the best!

Back
Top Bottom