SOTD wc Saturday 10th - Friday 16th August 2013

Monday morning

Prep : clinique face soap and scruff
Razor : merkur progress xl
Blade : supermax stainless
Brush : kent blk12
Cream : palmolive
Splash : clinique happy

Really excellent shave but misjudged how much water the kent holds and made the lather way too wet bowl lathering with it for the first time. Second go was spot on

2 weeks, no shave.

Not one person has mentioned my scruffy-looking state - not even a piss-taking wise-crack from my kids or brother.

I reckon that is either because they no longer recognise me, or my beard is just so nondescript at this stage.

joe mcclaine said:
2 weeks, no shave.

Not one person has mentioned my scruffy-looking state - not even a piss-taking wise-crack from my kids or brother.

I reckon that is either because they no longer recognise me, or my beard is just so nondescript at this stage.

Pics please, so we can diagnose. Diagnostic is free. Treatment, we will see. Depends of the severity.

Dr Dulcamara said:
joe mcclaine said:
2 weeks, no shave.

Pics please, so we can diagnose. Diagnostic is free. Treatment, we will see. Depends of the severity.

I'll post a pic at the 1 month stage - that way it should be long enough to see without binoculars.

If gets a thumbs down from this forum I'll know it will have to go.

Monday:

Evening, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with iKon bulldog handle
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp (3)
Brush: Ecotools kabuki
Shave soap: Palmolive stick
A/S: Blue Challenge
Cologne: Nautica Voyage

A good, close shave with no rawness afterwards. Most satisfactory.

joe mcclaine said:
2 weeks, no shave.

Third and most obvious answer is they are all ascairt of you, based on your previous adventures since I've known you. And that has just been a short while. Yeah, they are skulking around, waiting for the volcano to blow up real good!! Crazy Train goin off the track. That sorta stuff.

Whatcha think?

De Vergulde Hand stick
Turkish no. 6
Aristocrat no. 15 (well, no-one has actually come back to me to say yay or nay).
Rapira Swedish Super Steel (2)

A careful bbs with a little heat. Every single shave with this razor has got me a big nick under the nose. Tonight's no exception.
I'm narrowing down the blades I can and can't use with this razor but these have been superior out of the six or seven I've used thus far.

Today I felt like experimenting, so I made an interesting superlather for my shave. I combined some Pyrate Cove Coconut soap and TBS Maca Root cream which resulted in a slick, creamy, awesome smelling lather. It's a nice earthy, sweet smelling lather that I really like.

A three pass wtg/xtg/atg shave using my Muhle/TGN synthetic brush to apply the lather and my Parker SRW with a Merkur Super blade to take it off resulted in a DFS with zero nicks and zero irritation. I completed the shave with a cold water rinse and some T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel. A great shave to start the week with.

Pre: Hot shower and warm water splash
Razor: Parker SRW
Blade: Merkur Super
Brush: Muhle/The Golden Nib synthetic
Soap: Superlather of Pyrate Cove Coconut and The Body Shop Maca Root

[attachment=8225]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376353170479.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376353170479.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 27
Pre Shave: hot shower
Razor: 1908 Challenge Razor Co full hollow
Brush: Van Der Hagen Boar
Soap: Van Der Hagen Deluxe

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376366260900.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376366260900.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 10
Monday:

LEA stick
NF Tubby 2
#15 Aristocrat
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Witch Hazel
Indian Old Spice AS

A super smooth shave before heading out to what turned out to be a fantastic day at the cricket at Chester-le-Street.

Tuesday:

Tabac
Semogue SOC Boar
ER Streamline
Gem blade
Witch Hazel
Proraso AS

Great shave, super smooth.

Bulldog face scrub
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus cream
Feather blade
Muhle R41
Bluebeards Revenge post shave balm

My first shave with the R41, took a little while as I was quite nervous after reading review on here! Very happy with the results, very close and very smooth.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Schick F type injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (1970 NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
No aftershave needed
Makizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Third shave with this new to me injector, with the first two using a Schick NOS blade with very good results. This latest shave was with my sharpest blade loaded up and man........very nice! Smooth, sharp, and fairly forgiving in this razor, but knowing I need to pay some attention to detail.

The F type head is unlike any other I've tried and I have shaved with most injectors over the years. I am surprised I haven't seen more positive reviews on this old thing from the early 1940s. I have a hunch this may be my favorite model......even more than the adjustable. Pretty interesting and comfortable design that leaves my face smoother than usual.

BBS results,

Martin

TUESDAY MORNING

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: US Aristocrat
Blade: Super Iridium
Brush: Semogue 1305
Shave soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
After - Witch hazel, Bulldog balm

Poor shave today. I don't know how but I really cocked up the lather.

Far too thin and didn't offer anywhere near enough lubrication so I got quite a few cuts on my jawline.

Smooth enough, but I will have to try harder tomorrow!

Tuesday xiii August, 2013
Shower, Shea Butter Savon de Provence
Frank Shaving Pur Tech synthetic
Figaro P.160 applied as per shave stick
Megress LD #3
Voskhod #1
Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh Post shave solution
Sex Pistols EdP

I award this shave 7/10. Smooth but the Voskhod didn't feel too good. Hopefully better tomorrow

All the best,

Jon​

Back
Top Bottom