Standard razor - a revelation

Used mine yesterday and it's fantastic! I'm not sure it will make a dent in my Futur love but lordy it's definitely a lovely razor!
Shame you never took her out for a spin Stan, you might have surprised yourself with how easy the shave would be!

Don't say that, Alex, I'll be asking for it back :)

As noted above I've got the hang of my others and they all, now, feel good in my hands (even the R41 as long as I'm careful and don't put a Feather in it). As you probably noticed I put some grippy tubing on two of the razors (the Muhle Grande and the Progress) and wondered if it might have been a idea to do the same with the Standard as it looked so smooth but, on the spur of the moment, put it to one side and sat down to type out an Ebay advert telling myself I'm happy with what I have and should be satisfied.

But I look forward to Andreas's reports and also further news of your own and others. It certainly got great reviews in the US as well as UK.

DevonStan said:
It didn't even get a road test...I just didn't feel it was for me.

Yes, I surprised myself but am getting to realise that YMMV business makes sense...Everyone else fell in love with it but I guess I got used to the Weber and the S2 is now becoming familiar in my, amateur, hands so I didn't want to take the risk of using it and not liking the way it shaved so decided to part with it straight away.

I'll watch to see how others get on with interest.

Thanks.

Stan, had a shave with mine tonight, 2 passes wtg and xtg with a touch up, BBS, you should have given it a go, lovely razor, dare i say it, as efficient as my Merkur slant.

The Mrs. has just gone out to the shed to fetch a bucket of wet cement for me to immerse my head in.

I accept that I should have persevered...but we all make decisions on the spur of the moment. That was one of mine and might well not have been the best I ever made. BUT, thanks to the advice received here, I console myself with my proud possession of the Weber, which I genuinely love. And I have much fondness for the others...which you lot helped me choose - the S2 is a cracker, the Progress is versatile, The R89 is a mild, soft, cuddly kitten and the R41...well, the R41.... and the Braveheart has a sort of a useful place, albeit slightly towards the back of the queue ..... so it's not all bad :)

But I'm genuinely very pleased and interested to hear of all your experiences and hope to hear more and accept I should have been a bit more sensible and put it down to a temporary rush of (you know what) to the brain.

DevonStan said:
The Mrs. has just gone out to the shed to fetch a bucket of wet cement for me to immerse my head in.

I accept that I should have persevered...but we all make decisions on the spur of the moment. That was one of mine and might well not have been the best I ever made. BUT, thanks to the advice received here, I console myself with my proud possession of the Weber, which I genuinely love. And I have much fondness for the others...which you lot helped me choose - the S2 is a cracker, the Progress is versatile, The R89 is a mild, soft, cuddly kitten and the R41...well, the R41.... and the Braveheart has a sort of a useful place, albeit slightly towards the back of the queue ..... so it's not all bad :)

But I'm genuinely very pleased and interested to hear of all your experiences and hope to hear more and accept I should have been a bit more sensible and put it down to a temporary rush of (you know what) to the brain.

Remember: It's going to a good home :icon_cheesygrin:

Andreas

Yeah you should have had a go, BUT, yes its efficient just like the 37c, but with the 37c you can't feel the blade scraping your skin! I felt every stroke with the standard, but like always YMMV!

rowlers said:
Yeah you should have had a go, BUT, yes its efficient just like the 37c, but with the 37c you can't feel the blade scraping your skin! I felt every stroke with the standard, but like always YMMV!

You're just saying that to make me feel better, Lee :icon_smile:

Indeed, Andreas, but I really ought to have sent someone round to check the house over beforehand...a bit like they do before they let you get a rescue cat or dog from Battersea or Blue Cross.

DevonStan said:
rowlers said:

You're just saying that to make me feel better, Lee :icon_smile:

Indeed, Andreas, but I really ought to have sent someone round to check the house over beforehand...a bit like they do before they let you get a rescue cat or dog from Battersea or Blue Cross.

Our rescue cat has been very happy for the last seven years, she'd like to let you know.

Andreas

And please send her my fondest regards Andreas. I'm a bit of a softie for moggies, I'm afraid. I think there's a pic of one of ours in a photo related thread somewhere. I might have used it as an avatar thingy...but Paul has got there before me - and they're both ginger and white so I didn't want any fisticuffs over the photos, and he did get there first :)

DevonStan said:
My black "Standard" arrived this very day.

It's currently on Ebay. It prob. would be on BST, but.......

Lovely looking piece and beautifully engineered but a bit too light feeling for my huge paws. I've got some heavyish razors and have got to grips with them and, being a noob, don't want to start learning again changing technique etc. with a lighter feeling jobbie. And, realistically I have all the razors I need.

Those razors always get great reviews but I can see someone not caring to use something lighter than usual. Never tried one but they sound interesting for sure. The weight might kinda bother me too a little bit and I don't blame you for not getting her wet.

What you might have done was make a Frankenrazor with the head and your handle choice. Now that coulda been an adventure. Can the head alone be bought?

Now Stan, do you really think you don't need another razor? Have you tried enough of em to be sure about something that important? I can answer that......no!

Now that your technique's good you need to find the best fit for you. Maybe try a Gillette or two, with one being an adjustable, try a Weber or try a bunch of others out there. Get a nice handle for the various heads around. Custom fit your go to razor early.

Martin

Oh, certainly not meant to enable you in any way.....just the way things are.

But, dodgy, my good man, I do have the Weber and an adjustable (albeit the long handled Progress and a further albeit it has the heat shrink textured tubing for better grip) and I do have the ATT S2 which has beautifully engineered knurling and is half an inch longer than the Weber handle. And the R89 is, as you know, beautifully finished and comfortable... as is the R41 (which, of course, is a bit of fun if you rush things). The Braveheart I could have done without...but it was only £15 for the head and I still enjoy using it - but the finish isn't great.

I admit to not owning a Gillette but did have a 1950's Gillette Tech with a Fat Handle on loan (which I did date but have forgotten it now) as my very first DE jobbie and thoroughly enjoyed it, hence continuing to explore further and hence washing up here. The Tech handle WAS a bit short for me which is why I got the long handled Grande version of the R89 and the long handle version of the Progress.

But, I accept there is no intention to enable here and receive your advice with the jolly fine and upstanding British spirit which is only to be expected :) :)

Two extra special smilies there for good measure. Plus another here as it's nearly bedtime :)

riverrun said:
Mine has her own web site http://snottycat.co.uk/ (yes, just one picture) and demands to be fed by me while I'm shaving. A case of double SWMBO...

Now, a cat with her own website! Hey, that's impressive!

What a curious beast the Standard razor is. Heard so many good things but wanted to be subjective on first use. Just finished my first shave with it. One of the closest and best shaves I have had since starting this malarkey. I prefer heavier razors in my hand but as a cutting tool it is just one of the best. Defo a keeper. The quality is great. My only reservation is durability. How long it will stand the test of time with the odd dink and paint scrape here and there.

Back
Top Bottom