Standard razor - a revelation

First shave with mine last night. Very different to others I have. (34C, Progress, R41 Twist). Light but not featherweight, needs a bit of technique adaptation but I got a great shave in 3 passes and a bit of buffing. Very tactile and easy to handle.

As a follow up: I too was a little disappointed in the lack of even a cardboard sleeve, but what a beautiful piece of kit. It really should be shown off with a bit of class. Anyway, it was a shave of firsts for me: new razor, as I've mentioned, great auditory feedback as they say; new blade: Bolzano, not as fierce as the Feathers I've been using, but a good close shave in 3 passes; new soap: Coviello, the rose & sandalwood fragrance in Professor Blighty's Commedia Dell'Arte range, lovely thick lather with a sumptuous fragrance, good even with hard water, nice and slick; and lastly the first outing for my Semogue 830 - two-tone acrylic handle, boar bristles, lathered like a beast. Oh, what a night [emoji12]

Received my Standard in Gunmetal finish from Gallant & Klein today and I'm very impressed with it following my first shave. I didn't have an issue with the weight, although I use an aluminium handled Rocket from time-to-time, so I'm no stranger to lightweights.

I was a little concerned at the tiny size of the screw post but only time will tell I guess.

I think it has the edge on the Merkur Digress but I'll have to do a few back-to-backs to be sure.

DSC_0768_zpsizn3alez.jpg

It looks like the standard razor may either work for you or not. Having recently acquired one I'm finding I use it more than my other razor (EJ DE86).

My black "Standard" arrived this very day.

It's currently on Ebay. It prob. would be on BST, but.......

Taking Ebay fees into account I've priced it to get most of my outlay back but not making anything out of it. I've used First Class Signed For delivery...is that what others would have used? Don't know how well shaving stuff sells on Ebay...never sold anything shaving related before.

Lovely looking piece and beautifully engineered but a bit too light feeling for my huge paws. I've got some heavyish razors and have got to grips with them and, being a noob, don't want to start learning again changing technique etc. with a lighter feeling jobbie. And, realistically I have all the razors I need. It came with one Astra but I've advertised it with 5 Wilkos...was that a good thing or will that push prospective buyers over the edge and send them scuttling away :) ?

DevonStan said:

Taking Ebay fees into account I've priced it to get most of my outlay back but not making anything out of it. I've used First Class Signed For delivery...is that what others would have used? Don't know how well shaving stuff sells on Ebay...never sold anything shaving related before.

Lovely looking piece and beautifully engineered but a bit too light feeling for my huge paws. I've got some heavyish razors and have got to grips with them and, being a noob, don't want to start learning again changing technique etc. with a lighter feeling jobbie. And, realistically I have all the razors I need. It came with one Astra but I've advertised it with 5 Wilkos...was that a good thing or will that push prospective buyers over the edge and send them scuttling away :) ?

I can assure you, that it didn't send this prospective buyer scuttling away. :angel:

Andreas

riverrun said:
DevonStan said:

I can assure you, that it didn't send this prospective buyer scuttling away. :angel:

Andreas

Top Man....I just sent you an Ebay message.

Thanks, Andreas.

Stan (Kevin)

It didn't even get a road test...I just didn't feel it was for me.

Yes, I surprised myself but am getting to realise that YMMV business makes sense...Everyone else fell in love with it but I guess I got used to the Weber and the S2 is now becoming familiar in my, amateur, hands so I didn't want to take the risk of using it and not liking the way it shaved so decided to part with it straight away.

I'll watch to see how others get on with interest.

Thanks.

Indeed, Andreas.

You should have the Ebay message...It'll be on it's way to you tomorrow morning and I'll make sure it's well packed up.

Judging by the other posts here you'll be as right as ninepence with it. It's brand new and is a bit cheaper than the UK supplier so you should be fine. I'll only lose a couple of pounds after Ebay and PayPal fees, so I'm happy with that and I'll look out for your reports after you've had it a few days.

As I'm starting to find out, what suits one might not suit another...but, hey ho.

Kindest Regards and thanks for your purchase Andreas.

Back
Top Bottom