Standard razor - a revelation

Postie just delivered mine, too late for using today but ready for tomorrow.

Thankfully no customs charges so a great deal.
[attachment=13345]

[attachment=13346]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426158444.027255.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426158444.027255.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 23
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426158456.943409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426158456.943409.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 26
Mine just arrived. No customs charges for deliveries from Devon :icon_razz:
What a looker. Weighs in at 47.7 grams. 5 times heavier than the Gillette Guard from India. Can't see a problem :angel:

Andreas

Have one of these since early in the day when Gallant & Klein start stocking them.

First few shaves were a bit meh. I couldn't seem to get my angles right with it and was struggling to get a clean shave between my chin and mouth. I genuinely thought I didn't like it.

I put it aside for a few months and then one day picked it up again. I just took a bit more care and attention with it this time around and I tell ya what, it's a cracker.

Been shaving with my since last weekend, Personna Lab Blue on-board, and have to say I find it just perfect.

Miles853 said:
What a curious beast the Standard razor is. Heard so many good things but wanted to be subjective on first use. Just finished my first shave with it. One of the closest and best shaves I have had since starting this malarkey. I prefer heavier razors in my hand but as a cutting tool it is just one of the best. Defo a keeper. The quality is great. My only reservation is durability. How long it will stand the test of time with the odd dink and paint scrape here and there.

Corrosion shouldn't be a problem, my dad's aluminium ladders lived chained to a drainpipe for many years. I'd be more concerned about the durability of the steel screw threaded into aluminium.

Here are my first impressions: WOW.
Not only does this razor look great, my first shave was incredible as well. I did my full citrus ceremony:

Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream Facial Cleanser
Hot Towel
Trupmers Lime Skin Food
Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream
Plisson Brush
PolSilver blade
Black Standard Razor
Alum Block
Cella Colonia Classica
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

Result: Probably the best shave I have ever had. Four hours later and I still can't stop touching my face. Still BBS.
This razor is as mild as my Digress on the mildest setting, but gives as close a shave as the Digress on 5+.
The weight is not a problem for me. Some of my favourite Schick injectors weigh less.
I love the way the handle feels and how it handles.
I love the way it looks (what's a good matte black razor blade?)
Most of all I love the way it shaves.
Sorry Kevin - you can't have it back :icon_smile:. We have a winner. 5/5 :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Andreas

Glad you liked it Andreas. Don't know why it shaves so well, whether it's the head shape, blade exposure or the user doing the work as opposed to heavy head but it just works a treat. Like you I got one of my best shaves yet in a razor that at the start was unsure of

My best razor to date is a very light plastic german slant? Got so much confidence in its ability and comfort that it sorts out down there too...

Think there is something to a lightweight razor.

riverrun said:
Here are my first impressions: WOW.
Not only does this razor look great, my first shave was incredible as well. I did my full citrus ceremony:

Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream Facial Cleanser
Hot Towel
Trupmers Lime Skin Food
Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream
Plisson Brush
PolSilver blade
Black Standard Razor
Alum Block
Cella Colonia Classica
Castle Forbes Lime ASB

Result: Probably the best shave I have ever had. Four hours later and I still can't stop touching my face. Still BBS.
This razor is as mild as my Digress on the mildest setting, but gives as close a shave as the Digress on 5+.
The weight is not a problem for me. Some of my favourite Schick injectors weigh less.
I love the way the handle feels and how it handles.
I love the way it looks (what's a good matte black razor blade?)
Most of all I love the way it shaves.
Sorry Kevin - you can't have it back :icon_smile:. We have a winner. 5/5 :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Andreas

Dohhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know what to say.

I'm the only bloke in the universe to send a Standard packing without doing it justice, and it turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, look positively upon the affair:-

It didn't get VAT plus £8 handling imposed.
It arrived at Andreas's the next day.
Andreas loves it.
Andreas got it for less than the UK retailer sells it for.
Andreas's cat might love the way it looks and leave him alone when he shaves.
I didn't get into a row about PayPal fees with anyone.
Ebay, PayPal and Royal Mail all made something out of it.
I only dropped £2.70 on it
I haven't got to find space for it in the cupboard.
I haven't got to decide whether to store it horizontally or vertically.
It was black and might not have matched anything else in the cupboard.
I might have been allergic to black aluminium.
My Mrs. might have thought it odd to be shaving with such an unusual looking thing and divorced me.
I might not have got on with the way it shaves.
The list is endless.

Clearly I did the right thing.

Can't see what the fuss is about.

Bah Humbug

DevonStan said:
Dohhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know what to say.

I'm the only bloke in the universe to send a Standard packing without doing it justice, and it turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, look positively upon the affair:-

It didn't get VAT plus £8 handling imposed.
It arrived at Andreas's the next day.
Andreas loves it.
Andreas got it for less than the UK retailer sells it for.
Andreas's cat might love the way it looks and leave him alone when he shaves.
I didn't get into a row about PayPal fees with anyone.
Ebay, PayPal and Royal Mail all made something out of it.
I only dropped £2.70 on it
I haven't got to find space for it in the cupboard.
I haven't got to decide whether to store it horizontally or vertically.
It was black and might not have matched anything else in the cupboard.
I might have been allergic to black aluminium.
My Mrs. might have thought it odd to be shaving with such an unusual looking thing and divorced me.
I might not have got on with the way it shaves.
The list is endless.

Clearly I did the right thing.

Can't see what the fuss is about.

Bah Humbug

You could add that I probably only love it because of my tiny hands... (if that makes you feel better)

Andreas

DevonStan said:

You should be proud of yourself,

Looks like you invented somethIng new, or at least new to me. Yeah, its a form of remorse I can't recall seeing.

i know the sting of buyers remorse first hand, and also that dumb long lasting feeling caused by NON buyers remorse. Both are bad.

Then you have seller's remorse and also the feeling dumb non sellers part when not unloading something at the appropriate time.

I think what we have here though is whatcha might call non users remorse. Very rare condition with some rather unpleasant results.

Martin

My initials are ... K S...but Stans slips off the tongue easier, I feel.

I appreciate the sympathy and understanding lavished upon my, admittedly slightly hasty, decision to turn it round within the hour. Certainly it didn't get a chance to gather dust or form attachments.

However in all honesty without doubt the most salient observation made up to now (from my point of view) is that made by Tony. He's the fella who allowed me to experience the pleasure of the Weber. Don't know if, when or how I'd have got hold of one if Tony hadn't granted me the opportunity to be elevated to membership of the Worshipful Company of Weberistus. It'll never leave me all the time I draw God given breath.

I feel a tear welling and an imminent loss of bowel control so I think the matter is best left there.

Sniff, sniff, whimper sniff.

Back
Top Bottom