Thayers Witch Hazel...

Normal Witch Hazel contains 14% alcohol. It's a by-product of the distillation process used to make it.

The alcohol free version is made via steam distillation, if I recall correctly. It has a stickier face feel than the regular WH.

Edit: correction, the regular Witch Hazel (14% alcohol) is made via steam distillation. The alcohol free is made through another process, possibly a maceration or solvent extraction.

I'm astonished that Witch Hazel is so hard to get outside the U.S. It really is one of the better skin care products out there.

Last edited:
Normal Witch Hazel contains 14% alcohol. It's a by-product of the distillation process used to make it.

The alcohol free version is made via steam distillation, if I recall correctly. It has a stickier face feel than the regular WH.

I'm astonished that Witch Hazel is so hard to get outside the U.S. It really is one of the better skin care products out there.
I don't think that's correct - it's the steam distillation that adds most of the alcohol whereas Thayer's specifically state they do not use distillation.

Thayers might be hard to get I dunno but WH can be found in the UK via the Tinternet.
I buy it in litre bottles for around £12.

+1 for cheap UK supplies

I use the Vines beauty unscented variety. £4.99 for 500ml off EBay including postage, or a little less if you can find it in afro-caribbean styling product suppliers.

No fragrance, only the natural smell of witch hazel, but performance wise it's been fine

I've never seen the Vines Beauty product before, Sean .......... I can't seem to find an ingredient list, either .......

I remember when I was looking for sources of witch hazel a few years back and the Thayers was what I settled on because the concentration of actual witch hazel in the product was the highest of the lot. At those prices, the Vines Beauty bottles are worth looking in to ........ I wouldn't mind knowing their strength, though .......

I've never seen the Vines Beauty product before, Sean .......... I can't seem to find an ingredient list, either .......

I remember when I was looking for sources of witch hazel a few years back and the Thayers was what I settled on because the concentration of actual witch hazel in the product was the highest of the lot. At those prices, the Vines Beauty bottles are worth looking in to ........ I wouldn't mind knowing their strength, though .......

I've checked the bottle I have and unfortunately no indication of strength. No datasheet or similar on the manufacturers website either: http://www.professionalbeautysystems.co.uk/products-and-services

There are 4 litre bottles available too for c£20 on some of the trade sites too

Back
Top Bottom