Closed The Dodgy Schick pass around

daz

Our wonderful cousin over the water has donated a Schick Hydro Magic injector for us all to try, along with a Chinese Schick blade. I shall get some more blades ordered to throw in with the package once it arrives with me.

Before I start the waiting list I just want to say thanks to Martin for yet another great pass around, you're a gent:)

Ok, so far the waiting list is as follows
Exapno
LoseTheBeard
Fly3k
NotTheStig
Jimbofett
Once the razor has arrived with me i shall have a wee shot and get it passed onto Exapno

daz said:
Exapno
LoseTheBeard
Fly3k
NotTheStig
Jimbofett
Once the razor has arrived with me i shall have a wee shot and get it passed onto Exapno

There's a couple things about the I2 model razor that need paying attention to. First would be to only load em in the closed position!!! Heh, it can get ugly otherwise.

Also, the twinjector blades won't be good in that either and could cause problems. Maybe use that Hydro action to clean up just once after the shave. It's a nice little feature but who knows how long those parts will last.

Other than that it's good to go. I would definitely try a few different blades when the razor comes to you, and don't expect to have a perfect shave the first time. It can easily take 4-5 shaves to figure everything out. There's some new things to learn as far as pressure and angle goes. Make sure when loading the blade to try and go slowly to make sure it's not accidentally being scraped over the safety bar. Watch the process if possible.

Thanks to daz for being the thread's caretaker,

Martin

Thanks to Martin a wonderful wee razor plopped through the post today, along with a pack of blades, a couple of lolipops (which my kids have stolen!) and a nice sample frag that smells pretty damn good to me, Roger & Gallett "Sport" edt

Thanks Martin, very kind of you indeed :)

I have already had my shave today with a feather ac so this will have to wait until tomorrow :-(
If Exapno would like to pm his address to me I shall get it off to you at the end of the week.

Before that though, I shall keep you posted on my experiences over the next few days.

daz

daz said:
Thanks to Martin a wonderful wee razor plopped through the post today,
I have already had my shave today with a feather ac so this will have to wait until tomorrow :-(
If Exapno would like to pm his address to me I shall get it off to you at the end of the week.

Before that though, I shall keep you posted on my experiences over the next few days.

daz

Glad the stuff made it there ok. My pleasure in helping to enable any potential injector users. Those things really can be a nice arsenal option for when they start yammering to get wet.

Martin

Just had my first shave with this whisker whacker, and man it is good. You guys on the list are in for a treat if my first shave is anything to go by. I have already tried the L1 and have the Golden 500 waiting it's turn while an M1 adjustable is in transit :) If they are as nice as this then it will be money well spent.

I lathered up with some MDC on a very large boar brush and carried out three passes. Similar to the L1 it took a little while to get the angle right, but once found it was a delight to use and it mowed the stubble down a fair bit quicker. The ease of use reminded me of a cartridge and I found that a little pressure is needed compared to what I normally use, ie Feather, slant, straight. But it has just left me absolutely clean with not a single weeper in sight, pretty good going for the first shave.

I am not going to keep hold of this too long as I have the other newly aquired Schicks to play with, but I am pretty sure I will be keeping an eye out for one of these over the next wee while. I decided I will use this razor and nothing else for the rest of the week so hopefully it will get even better.

Just had shave number 4 with the Hydro and have to say that things are still improving. I thought I had the angle sorted after the first shave, but after playing about more and more at every shave I realised I hadn't! Pretty sure it is there now though as this mornings shave took a lot less work and a lot less time. The chick blade is still sharp enough for another shave, possibly two. How long do you regular Schick users get out of a blade?
I will use this one more time tomorrow then get it cleaned up and packed. I still haven't got round to buying any more blades as yet, but I will stick some on a card that I have received when buying a couple of other razors in the last week or so. I will also forward a pack of blades on to whoever has the razor when they come in.

daz said:
Just had shave number 4 with the Hydro and have to say that things are still improving. I thought I had the angle sorted after the first shave, but after playing about more and more at every shave I realised I hadn't! Pretty sure it is there now though as this mornings shave took a lot less work and a lot less time. The chick blade is still sharp enough for another shave, possibly two. How long do you regular Schick users get out of a blade?
I will use this one more time tomorrow then get it cleaned up and packed. I still haven't got round to buying any more blades as yet, but I will stick some on a card that I have received when buying a couple of other razors in the last week or so. I will also forward a pack of blades on to whoever has the razor when they come in.

Hi Daz, all the blades I have used I get at least 7 good shaves ( have got up to 10 but the last one was a bit draggy?).
But like D.E. blades they differ by make. The vintage blades I got off Martin seem to last well. I have not tried a "Chick yet due to the cost of postage and not being able to find a U.K. seller.

daz said:

Years ago I went down that damned injector rabbit hole pretty good there for a while. Yeah, tried a bunch of razors and blades and ended up with what I thought was my favorite blades. Turns out they were, but only because I hadn't tried some others in my rotation now.

You wouldn't think to look at these things, but there's something to finding the right injector/blade combos if you want em performing at their best. Then you got some technique tweaking, especially having to relearn that cartridge pressure thing. I actually like being able to bear down on the handle as the injector waltzes around my face. Feels a bit like being in a sleek road hugging sports car instead of a big ole boat.

This type of shaving system really does resemble using a DE in some ways. How much time put into figuring things out will usually be beneficial in the long run, if that's what someone's looking for. Hah, it's all about the motivation.

Martin

Razor is cleaned, packed and ready to go to Exapno. Although I think he is still out of the country?. I shall contact him via pm to find out.
Thanks Martin, definitely a razor I shall be adding to the arsenal in due course, just a pity there are not so many blades available for it anymore :-(

No problem Paul

daz said:
Our wonderful cousin over the water has donated a Schick Hydro Magic injector for us all to try, along with a Chinese Schick blade. I shall get some more blades ordered to throw in with the package once it arrives with me.

Before I start the waiting list I just want to say thanks to Martin for yet another great pass around, you're a gent:)

Exapno
LoseTheBeard
Fly3k
NotTheStig
Jimbofett
PB

Things have been a bit slow on this guys so just a wee update

Exapno has the razor but I know he has been away a couple of times on business, so don't know how he has got on with it, or indeed if he has had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully he will post in here over the next couple of days with his thoughts.
I also have some blades here to add to the pack, so if LTB would like to pm his address to me I shall send them off when Exapno has finished with the razor. Sound ok?

Before my latest round of travelling I managed to get one shave with the injector and I was quietly impressed. The last time I used one (a type L I think) I was unimpressed but that could have been down to the blade, improper loading, technique or any number of things. I even owned a hydro magic at one point but I don't think I ever shaved with before I moved it on... what an idiot I am sometimes.

The blade itself feels very different, much more solid than a DE blade because, well, because it is I suppose. It's quite easy to find the angle, in fact the whole experience is quite easy and as has been said before, you feel like you're cheating. Even though the injector is light, it doesn't feel flimsy. One look at the exposure (large but only because of the way the blade sits on the safety bar and the head holds the blade) and the thickness of the blade and you know that what you're holding isn't flimsy. In fact, I imagine you could cause yourself some irritation if you weren't careful as it would be easy to go 'overboard' on a shave. The Chinese Schick blades are fine but I think I'd need to use a set up for more time than the pass around would allow to really see if this type of blade and razor suited my skin. I'll give it another couple of goes before sending it on (LTB, could you also PM me your address?).

This has been asked before but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for after market Injector handles... I wonder why that is?

Back
Top Bottom