The ugly side to importing and selling 'artisan' soap

Who ever reported them is nothing short of a spineless. The fact they've wrecked it for thousands of people seems to not bother them, Burgundy seems to not care what has happened either. If the talk on a few Facebook groups is true, then he's going to egg on his face. Apparently Catie's Bubbles and Soap Commander are working towards getting said regulation papers. Which, if true, will see them back in the UK via vendors.

You can't argue with the law as burgundy points out. However there are lots of laws that are archaic or illogical and ignored by most including the authorities. I would still like to know why burgundy chose this point to blitz all the shaving forums with his insights? He admits he is going to cause arguments (kicking the hornets nest) but we have no idea why? Jealousy at someone else seeing an opportunity? A pompous need to spout off facts and correct a 'wrong'? Or a need to show off his knowledge of global trade laws? Or was he as rumoured acting at the behest of the big UK brands? Really though he hasn't helped anybody and hindered plenty.

themadremmy said:
You can't argue with the law as burgundy points out. However there are lots of laws that are archaic or illogical and ignored by most including the authorities. I would still like to know why burgundy chose this point to blitz all the shaving forums with his insights? He admits he is going to cause arguments (kicking the hornets nest) but we have no idea why? Jealousy at someone else seeing an opportunity? A pompous need to spout off facts and correct a 'wrong'? Or a need to show off his knowledge of global trade laws? Or was he as rumoured acting at the behest of the big UK brands? Really though he hasn't helped anybody and hindered plenty.

Or at the behest of a smaller UK brand.......?

People in this country have always looked across the pond for the must haves. The big players in the wet shaving forums and YouTube videos are all either north American or using north American products. This has just made it more difficult to get the 'must have soaps.' It has done nothing to put people off them. I think a better way of going about it would have been to encourage people to buy British and promote them more. I have little interest in the big brands but I love the UK and Irish artisan soaps. However I would like to be able to try artisan soaps from around the world.

Hiya,

Man, I had no idea about lots of what's been said here.

To me, the ethical part doesn't quite fit regarding shaving soap. Buying from a US vendor is not competition to the UK ones. Each soap has their own charm and people are gonna buy different things they read or hear about. It's not an insult to the UK makers, but instead just wanting more things to choose from. Seems the UK laws make it tougher than needed when it comes to soap, like the US stuff being a potentially dangerous product. I think that's no reason at all in this case.

The not quite kosher part of going against the rules in order to benefit from the ordering convenience and to save money is up to each buyer. Could be there's something I may be missing, but I don't see a problem here, bum that I am.

It always surprises me how a thread that's going south is handled here at TSR. So strange reading personal attacks and swearing......a real airing out of opinions. You will never see anything like this in any other shaving forum and for the most part letting things get resolved is the right way to go. Takes more work from the people running this place, rather than shutting a thread down right away.

I get the 'heat of the moment' part but would ask that some more thought would go into what is being seen by who knows how many people. Argue all you like, but hold off on just a few of the nastier words or phrases. Swearing and attacks have their places, but there's various degrees to choose from. Bothers me seeing members I like acting like assholes to each other.

Once again, thanks to Boab and the mods for allowing most things to play out naturally.

Martin

Notice that Burgundy has scuttled away. I for one don't believe Burgundy claiming he has no vested interest in it. If this is so why did he spout-off? Something is rotten at the core of this whole scenario. If it was done through a UK soap company and it's found out who they will have just alienated a whole bunch of people through being petty.
The fact is plain and simple there are very, very few UK artisans: Wickhams, Nanny's Silly Soaps, Professor Blighty, Scent from Heaven compare that to the US: Catie's Bubbles, Soap Commander, Cold River, Phoenix, Strop Shoppe, Reef Point, Mike's Natural.
And that's just the main US ones. Just doesn't compare in range of scents and makers. We need more UK/EU artisans, but petty regulations and cost make that impossible. Is it any wonder most YT videos or posts the users are espousing American soaps. Sure, you get some EU/UK ones, but they are very much in minority, which is a shame. But stabbing a company in the back because they're competition is churlish and spiteful.

Just as a minor point in this Merton. European Laws and regulations over rule UK legislation in most matters. So that questions of type approval, certificates of compliance etc are decided at European level and must simply be implemented at national level. What was initially started as a " Common Market " is now much more akin to a Federal system with a central bank, central currency and calls for its own military Force. This is not intended to divert a thread about EU compliance for shaving soaps into a political debate about the EU, merely to point out that UK laws are not the point in issue.

JohnnyO. o/

One thing I don't understand, if the legal aspect is the crux of the complaint how did the soaps get here in the first place? If HMRC have let a pallet load of shaving soap from the U.S. into the UK how seriously can the authorities be taking it?

Back
Top Bottom