The ugly side to importing and selling 'artisan' soap

Well, let us be honest. This is the same country that forbids liquids in bottles larger than 3 oz. to be carried on an airplane regardless of how much is actually in the container. This is the same country that inspects your shoes at the airport because some nut job tried to light hits shoes on fire once. (Thankfully, we still get to wear our pants on planes even though someone tried to light his on fire on the way to Detroit Metropolitan. [emoji54]) I think "trust" may not be the right word. Our government is hardly that libertarian.
[/quote]

I once acted as guinea pig for a UK artisan's soap, on first contact with a wet brush it 'fizzed' - I kid you not. Instead of giving less than complimentary feedback, maybe I should have reported them to the CIA or EU Stormtroopers - Shaving Soup & Talcum Division for waterboarding.

As Graham Chapman's Colonel would say 'Stop that! It's all getting rather silly.'

Yh I agree with all the above, its essentially for our safety and safety in todays world due to litigation has to be thorough. Unfortunately one bad apple will invalidate the rest. I am happy about this to a certain extent as I would rather something to be put on my face or the largest organ of my body to be over rather than under regulated. Exactly like smoking in pubs. Excellent rule.

With regards to the iso propyls, its the longer chain hydrocarbons that are meant to be harmful especially when left on the skin for a period of time. Perhaps were looking a benzene based compounds.

Hey we are talking about shaving soap, that innocent sud bar;
Lawfully: innocent till prpven guilty.
Medically: prevention before contraction.

We stand no chance, pull out the scaffolding again and charge extra.

moodymick said:
I once acted as guinea pig for a UK artisan's soap, on first contact with a wet brush it 'fizzed' - I kid you not. Instead of giving less than complimentary feedback, maybe I should have reported them to the CIA or EU Stormtroopers - Shaving Soup & Talcum Division for waterboarding.

Self-inflating lather? Now that's an idea!

moodymick said:
As Graham Chapman's Colonel would say 'Stop that! It's all getting rather silly.'

Oh ... Yessir! Sorrysir!

3Wi0XUK.gif

If nothing happens in the next few weeks, as in no more U.S artisans become available over here I'll have to order direct. I think we can surmise which company Burgundy spoke up for. It's just frustrating overall. I think the problems are down to marketing in the end. So many videos or SOTD use American soaps and products and so few UK or European ones that it's like a lodestone you're drawn to those products. Heck, nearly all of my soaps are American. Is it choice, or down to seeing them used? Probably a bit of both.
I wonder if some of the reasons people pick American soaps is down to the amount of soap you get. Catie's Bubbles is a stonking 8oz, as are some Phoenix. Soap Commander, Soap Smooth, CRSW, and the Strop Shoppe are all 6oz.

I don't wish to wade into this, but having seen a comment previously about the regs, I am trying to help the British artisan cause by finding and reviewing as many as I can (for the foreseeable future).

Not that I have anything against the US soaps, I have some Razorock and was very tempted by many of the others. As has been said though, they don't seem to need any help shifting units.

So far I have had some misses (Neals Yard, Scottish Fine Soap) and some hits (Wickham is good and Nanny's, although only a couple of shaves in, seems to be up there too).

I will say the British soaps seem to be harder to locate, but I am prepared to put in the effort and get reviews up to try and fly the flag. Not that I wish to stop anyone grabbing whatever they find (I read a lot of reviews too).

Bay Soap Company (of Cornwall) do some great glycerine based shaving soaps. I have their Bay Rum, Grapefruit and Arctic Blast (Spearmint). Far North Soaps, alas, didn't work for me.

... just a couple of British to mention in response to longplay's post.

Yes, it's a bit of a shit that one of our best sources of 'non-EU compliant' soaps/ creams has had to pull the plug on the various ranges that it was able to procure...

Hopefully, (at least some of) the Artisans will be able to get their wares ratified for selling in the EU.

As I said before - nothing wrong with informed debate, but it is highly regrettable that it has come to this... :icon_neutral:

longplay said:
I don't wish to wade into this, but having seen a comment previously about the regs, I am trying to help the British artisan cause by finding and reviewing as many as I can (for the foreseeable future).

Not that I have anything against the US soaps, I have some Razorock and was very tempted by many of the others. As has been said though, they don't seem to need any help shifting units.

So far I have had some misses (Neals Yard, Scottish Fine Soap) and some hits (Wickham is good and Nanny's, although only a couple of shaves in, seems to be up there too).

I will say the British soaps seem to be harder to locate, but I am prepared to put in the effort and get reviews up to try and fly the flag. Not that I wish to stop anyone grabbing whatever they find (I read a lot of reviews too).
Have you tried Fredrikksons, made in Yorkshire.

Back
Top Bottom