The ugly side to importing and selling 'artisan' soap

Just to be sure..this is a shaving mug...as in a mug to lather up your soap...as opposed a container in which to store the puck? All the flavours look inviting. I don't suppose too many people have had a chance to report back on these yet? Can't quite see the logic behind the gap at the bottom, but that's neither here nor there.

The thing that appeals to me is the mug doesn't look so likely to smash the sink if dropped on to it. I can easily replace a broken mug but the sink isn't such a simple proposition. I use a plastic bowl at the moment for that very reason.

DevonStan said:
Just to be sure..this is a shaving mug...as in a mug to lather up your soap...as opposed a container in which to store the puck? All the flavours look inviting. I don't suppose too many people have had a chance to report back on these yet? Can't quite see the logic behind the gap at the bottom, but that's neither here nor there.

The thing that appeals to me is the mug doesn't look so likely to smash the sink if dropped on to it. I can easily replace a broken mug but the sink isn't such a simple proposition. I use a plastic bowl at the moment for that very reason.

According to his listing theses mugs are unbreakable and the gap at the bottom is to help keep the soap dry and allow water to sit below it.

Dave.

trainman said:
DevonStan said:

According to his listing theses mugs are unbreakable and the gap at the bottom is to help keep the soap dry and allow water to sit below it.

Dave.

Ta...and presumably I'm right in saying it's a mixing up mug not a storage thingy?

DevonStan said:
trainman said:
DevonStan said:

Dave.

Ta...and presumably I'm right in saying it's a mixing up mug not a storage thingy?

Sure is,you just leave the soap in there and attack it with your brush.

Dave.

DevonStan said:
trainman said:
DevonStan said:

Dave.

Sure is,you just leave the soap in there and attack it with your brush.

Dave.

I'll admit I'm behind the game here.

My understanding is you keep your soap in, say, the container it came in or you might put it in a lidded wooden bowl etc. OK, got that.

And unless you're face lathering ...you wet the surface of the soap puck with a few drops and let it soak for a moment.
You soak your brush and squeeze it out a bit.
You whip the brush round the puck to pick up your soap.
You then go to your "shaving mug" to lather it up.
You slop the finished product on yer fizzog etc etc etc.

But I'm told I keep my soap puck in this thing (Sure is,you just leave the soap in there and attack it with your brush)

But surely I don't do my lathering in the same thing that the puck is stored...so I've clearly missed the point of this thing.

I've not touched a drop and am not on medication, so someone spell this out for me if they will.. thanks. :icon_redface:

You do all the lathering in the same mug the soap never leaves it.
Only to perhaps clean the gap at the bottom. Looks a fair deal if the soap is decent.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, Nishy. But am I right in saying the "normal" or, more usual, way is that which I mentioned, ie lather in an empty shaving mug or bowl (or plastic Christmas Pudding container) having first retrieved the brushload from the puck (which would be in it's own container)?

I'm clearly no authority and often face lather anyway, but took a fancy to the bowl in the Ebay ad....especially as it was less of a liability should I happen to drop it in the sink.

Thanks.

Thats right Stan, if you got a refill puck without a container, you can just put the soap in this mug and lather it in there. Or if the fancy takes you, you could load off the soap in the mug and lather it up in another mug :)

Oh well, that's something I honestly didn't know was done...to lather up and manufacture the finished product in the same container as the puck. I'd imagined that the continuous whipping up with the brush on the surface of the puck in order to get the required lather would use up loads and loads of soap rather than just take what you needed and transfer it to the bowl and lather it there. I guess it's good practice to rinse the thing out afterwards as you would the the conventional (empty) lathering bowl?

Back
Top Bottom