The ugly side to importing and selling 'artisan' soap

Stavros said:
There's no issue with Baxter Of California products as far as I know.

I asked this a while back in this thread - how do we recognise an approved soap? How come Baxter's is OK while others are not. None of my tubs show any kind of approved/compliant notification.

Bechet45 said:
Stavros said:
There's no issue with Baxter Of California products as far as I know.

I asked this a while back in this thread - how do we recognise an approved soap? How come Baxter's is OK while others are not. None of my tubs show any kind of approved/compliant notification.

May be just me but wasn't there something about product compliance a while ago back regarding Ogallala Bay Rum when the only UK seller at the time packed up ? I'm sure I recall something about someone enquiring, and having to have the compliance details before importing a quantity to sell.

Whereas if your importing on a personal basis as long as it's not a banned for import item you don't require said compliance.

Damn !! Searching but can't find anything on it, but I'm sure the subject came up albeit a couple of years ago.

Northam Saint said:
Dave Q said:
Shaving Station are now European/UK only soaps.

Bugger ! And I was going to order some Soap Commander. Ohh well just have to buy direct or get my american friend to post on to me.

Soap Commander are no longer selling overseas due to EU regs so your american friend will have to sort it out. Luckily I have a few decades of toxic soap to get through.

I get that - but it flies in the face of common sense to me. Now we all have to buy a tub or three at a time and fly it/them across the Atlantic - not good for carbon emissions compared to an entrepreneur importing in bulk by sea.

I don't believe compliant British makers dipped out because we tend to buy far more soap than we need. I have enough for two lifetimes but just received another Nanny's soap and await another American one.

Bechet45 said:
I get that - but it flies in the face of common sense to me. Now we all have to buy a tub or three at a time and fly it/them across the Atlantic - not good for carbon emissions compared to an entrepreneur importing in bulk by sea.

I don't believe compliant British makers dipped out because we tend to buy far more soap than we need. I have enough for two lifetimes but just received another Nanny's soap and await another American one.

Absolutely.

It will be interesting to see what the guy at Shaving Station has to say. I can't see him pulling the products out of choice as it will really affect their business. To be honest it was the thing that attracted me to them in the first place. Apart from Razorock I doubt very much I will use them for much now.

This has been a most illuminating thread.

Fair play to Burgundy for kicking the hornet's nest - informed debate should be welcomed. It is incumbent on all of us to prosecute the same in a gentlemanly fashion and not resort to personal slurs and/or attacks.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the matter, I am (now) even more thankful that I have a surreptitious stash of bootleg soap to enjoy. In fact, I am tempted to buy some of the last remaining stock of American Artisan soap from the handful of UK suppliers (or even one!?) who has a clandestine stock before it, too, is removed from public consumption.

And so the EU protectionism continues. Don't worry Nico, I won't let on about your secret stash of soaps as long as, when the time comes, you keep shtum about my store of the vitamin and mineral supplements to be obtainable only on prescription when the UK period of grace finally runs out.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/

A handful of soaps (not drugs, arms, weapons of mass destruction, imported wives, slave labor etc.) and a few re-sellers earning a few sheckles.

It's all relatively mickey mouse as an issue if you ask me. If I was going to get up on my high horse about something, I'd at least make it something truly worthwhile.

Now we have members who have been deprived of the easiest access to the products... meh... who are the big winners here then?

I can go down to the shop and buy 20 fags and pollute my lungs now... eat 20 burgers and send my cholesterol through the roof... and that's perfectly fine, to make such choices.

It's almost enough to make me vote UKIP! I think of the huge sums of our money swallowed up by EU contributions and a significant proportion of that is used to pay bureaucrats to make laws about ... shaving soap! Protectionism with a coach and horses clause.

Bechet, you come across as being a little bit confused. Please elaborate why protectionism is a bad idea. More things produced here, more local jobs, less reliance of foreign imports and higher tax on imported goods in order to give advantage to local ones. In a way that's exactly what UKIP is preaching.

Whether it's in business or government level (including alliances such as the EU), you want to have a competitive advantage against your "opponent". Protectionism is one way of achieving this.

Back
Top Bottom