Thought I'd try an old fountain pen of mine.

Aha! so that's what the converter is! I think Broad was a good starter choice and that I need to get into Italic nibs soon!
Converter
Italic nibs
Purple ink
That should get me free postage, I suspect. But wait till you're tried the pen first, Carl!

Aha! so that's what the converter is! I think Broad was a good starter choice and that I need to get into Italic nibs soon!
Converter
Italic nibs
Purple ink
That should get me free postage, I suspect. But wait till you're tried the pen first, Carl!

"Hurry slowly" :)

I think the pen comes with a free cartridge so you can get a chance to try out the pen to see how you like it.
If you go down the bottled-ink route (in addition to the one you already have) - the British Diamine inks are very highly regarded.

Tip: With a syringe you can in many cases manually refill the plastic cartridges with ink from a bottle so you don't have to buy a converter...but I have only read/seen videos about it and have not tried it myself.

Yup...next thing you need to get is some good paper in a carry-with-you notebook so you can sit at the pub and pour your SOTD thoughts into it :)

A broad nib failed to slow me down at all but showed I can still write in ink. A 1.5mm nib arrived this morning and, thanks for the nib change vid, Erik, it slowed me down almost enough for my hand to become legible. So I have a 1.9mm Lamy AL-Star black purple on order.

I'm about to find out whether or not one can change a cartridge without getting all inked up. Over the guest wash basin, I think.

Turns out you can! but it is important to fit the new cartridge the right way round else, well, it doesn't fit and the barrel won't screw back on.

I think I must have learned to write using an italic nib - it just feels so right and the result looks like joined-up writing is supposed to look. Marion Richardson pops into my mind. Ah! Seems she died a few months after I was born but her work lives on!

Tip: With a syringe you can in many cases manually refill the plastic cartridges with ink from a bottle so you don't have to buy a converter...but I have only read/seen videos about it and have not tried it myself.

After years of using converters this is exactly what I have started doing for the last few months now. It is very easy and clean to do.

Have actually found it a more efficient way of loading up a pen

Just buy some cheap carts from Wilkos, use the syringe to empty and wash them out and leave somewhere like a warm cupboard to dry for a few days.

You can fill them completely up before using and there is need to be dipping and sucking your pen out of a bottle getting your fingers inky

Wow so my many Lamy and Parker pens are worth something? I have around 5/6 fountain pens dotted around. Gave up on fountain pens when Penali said I could throw my pen at a dartboard without damaging the solid iridium nib. It bent on impact. Have a couple of Mont Blanc pens as well which are superbly smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very enigmatic! The purpose of said small rubber grommet would be ...?
New cartridges are sealed. Some pens allow you to store a spare in the barrel.

I am assuming BB fills his cartridges as he needs them and doesn't store them already filled.

Here is what I take to work:

I use a turquoise Quink ink with the fountain pen, using a syringe based refill.

Wow so my many Lamy and Parker pens are worth something? I have around 5/6 fountain pens dotted around. Gave up on fountain pens when Penali said I could throw my pen at a dartboard without damaging the solid iridium nib. It bent on impact. Have a couple of Mont Blanc pens as well which are superbly smooth.

Depending on the pens and condition you might be able to sell them and get a razor or three :)

The Lamy pens I have to find I had 4, 2 were black all fountain pens. But last time I saw them I was 15!

Back
Top Bottom