Thought I'd try an old fountain pen of mine.

Cheers, Mike. Gotit! That part, anyway.

Suck up syringe full of ink. Check. Inspect both ends of a cartridge - several times. Check. Ask next question. Check.

Where exactly do I stick the blunt needle in order to refill the cartridge? Looks to me like the little ball/seal thingy will resist refilling attempts. Bigger hammer?

Clue: I don't have an empty cartridge to play with yet. Clueless.

Cheers, Mike. Gotit! That part, anyway.

Suck up syringe full of ink. Check. Inspect both ends of a cartridge - several times. Check. Ask next question. Check.

Where exactly do I stick the blunt needle in order to refill the cartridge? Looks to me like the little ball/seal thingy will resist refilling attempts. Bigger hammer?

Clue: I don't have an empty cartridge to play with yet. Clueless.

Not a good idea to open a new cartridge with a needle. It takes a bit of force and can very easily slip giving yourself your own ink transfusion. Better to puncture the new cartridge by pushing it into the pen's grip section like you'd normally do with a new cartridge, then pulling it out straight away.
Once the cartridge has been used then the open end is just, well, open; ready to accept the needle.

Note: Blunt needles can still be sharp. Not as blunt as a Derby blade but still sharp.

Hah! I was gifted a blunted straight razor to learn my strokes with. Hah! Blunt turns out to be a relative word!

You're a star, Mike - thanks very much. I feel ready to go now - once I've written a few more miles and/or Postie Colin has visited, anyway.

Some time ago I bought a lovely Parker 51 - gold and burgundy in color. Very attractive....but the nib always felt too wide/wet for me. I "tried to love" it as it was...I took it with me to coffee shops, wrote and doodled with it..but it never really felt 'right'.

I contacted a nibmeister here in the US who turned out to be extremely helpful in trying to get me a pen, for a great price might I add, that would write the way I liked.
We probably exchanged 10+ emails over a couple of weeks and...some time ago it arrived...my black P51 with an EF nib that he did quite some work on.

Black one arrived...joining my burgundy one..
nd3c51.jpg

The first thing I noticed, even before actually using the pen, was the rather (to me) significant physical difference in nib sizes:
300d63o.jpg

The one on the right is the new EF nib and I am now thinking that the one on the left is not a Fine but maybe a medium instead?

Inked it up...and decided to write half a page with my 'old' Parker 51...and then other half with the 'new' one to get an immediate reaction to any difference between the two...and there was a difference! :)
x6n1ba.jpg

Really love the nib! I know EF nibs is not everyone's cup of tea but I really like a finer line and this is near perfect for me!
I can't believe it can write this fine and yet so smooth...

Next thing is I'm having him swap out the nib in my burgundy/gold P51 to a Fine one as I want to experience how that is as well.

All is well..that ends well :)

Don't get inky, eh, when you use a syringe instead of a converter? Try putting the needle to the bottom of an all but full cartridge and pressing hard because you thought there would be resistance through the needle. Hah!

Anyway, me and mess cleaned up, cartridge flushed clean and ... How long does it take to dry out the cartridge. I have it propped up on a radiator but, of course, the weather is warm. Down here in the south, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom