Thought I'd try an old fountain pen of mine.

Can anyone recommend a good calligraphy pen set? I started when I was younger with a Berol (I think) felt tip calligraphy pen with good results and would now like to get a proper pen set.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm waiting on a Pilot Art 1.9mm pen - but I saw they also sell sets. Not a lot of money - but clearly tempting one to lean over the hole. And waiting for a Manuscript Scribe 1.9mm. And the converters. I fear I leaned in a little too far.

New cartridges are sealed. Some pens allow you to store a spare in the barrel.

I am assuming BB fills his cartridges as he needs them and doesn't store them already filled.

I obviously have spare sealed (bought) cartridges if I am travelling but the point in filling cartridges was as an alternative to converters

I presume nobody here carries around or stores prefilled spare converters.

Last edited:
OK - grommets are stoppers so I can move on to the syringes. As in Doctors and Nurses hypodermic syringes, a la mainlining heroin? I cannot tell you what an edge you have brought to fountain pens for me!

OK - grommets are stoppers so I can move on to the syringes. As in Doctors and Nurses hypodermic syringes, a la mainlining heroin? I cannot tell you what an edge you have brought to fountain pens for me!
You can pick up some BD microfine syringes from the Pharmacy Carl, come in 100 packs or 200 perfect for the job, size options too.

I bought a pack of 10 3ml syringes from Amazon. Rather harder was getting hold of dispensing needles for them, had I wanted hypodermics the world was my oyster, but blunt ones? Oh no. In the end I think I found some on eBay that came from China.

What is the advantage of syringes over converters? Messing about with 3ml syringes and needles seems a tad - well - messy.
A lot cleaner than converters, you can also mix colours more accurately (given you have a volume graded syringe).

Main reason I use them is to extract ink from very old cartridges or ink that I have made myself, which I haven't done for some time.

Syringes are handy for: filling sample vials, refilling cartridges, flushing converters, getting the last bit of ink from the bottle, mixing inks accurately - anything really where you may want to move a small quantity of liquid accurately. Oh, and squirting the cat. :)

For example, the Herbin ink bottles are ridiculously shallow which makes them awkward for filling pens from, and the Diamine plastic bottles have a neck which is too small for my Pelikan 805 nib. Using a syringe makes it easy to transfer ink to a 5ml vial which is easier to fill from, and portable should you want ink on the move.

Back
Top Bottom