Tour De France

Anyone else enjoy watching this?

Particularly enjoy the leisurely Eurosport coverage live during the day when I get chance. Great countryside and seeing what the locals get up to to honour Le Tour passing through.

Strong British contingent and it will be interesting to see how many stage wins Cav can get when there is the 'side' issue of supporting Wiggins to the yellow jersey hopefully.

I'm no expert on cycling, I kind of dip in and out of it year after year. But I used to love the channel 4 coverage late 80s particularly the year when Fignon and Le Mond were head to head.

I cannot remember when I started watching it, but don't miss a day if I can avoid it. I just check what's happening then watch the closing stages live. And wasn't I rewarded yesterday! Cavendish was written off because he has lost weight and power to play a team role in support of Bradley Wiggins. Yet again he came through to win on his own by latching on to other sprinters.

Apart from the sprint finishes I also check out the key moments in the tough mountain stages early in the third week when the overall winner is usually sorted out - and then the last time trial which can swing it if it's close.

It's a great event to follow as a retirement interest!

I love it! Everything about it. Countryside..the electric sprint finishes...the hill climbs...the tactics...the personalities...it's just so French (not being sarky or owt but it wouldn't work anywhere else)...the spectators. Fantastic. And whenever a whiff of drug taking is mentioned or indeed proven, I always think of the late and great Tommy Simpson

Sagan wins 3rd stage. Bradley Wiggins came in around 50th. Poor feller crashed in the final couple of hunded yards. He did remount and finish though. What a shame...that's cycling I thought. But hold on......I check the leader board and Wiggins is still only 7 seconds behind the current leader!!!! Now I know he was 7 seconds adrift before todays stage started. Do my eyes deceive me? He must have finished at least 15-20 seconds behind Sagan.

Addendum.....the commentators on ITV4 are explaining a ruling regarding finishing after a crash at the finish. It's starting to make sense.

Siutsou (sky) sadly broke his leg today. May change everything for Cav. There will definitely be thoughts in the team of burning him out to promote wiggo and miss Paris to salvage olympics. Only yesterday Cav mentioned how special Paris is to him, but his racing brain and loyalty are always mentioned by those who know him. Wiggos chances without Suitsou are really not so good I fear. Porte will have to be saved for the tough climbs, so Eisel may have to be a 'tailgunner' for wiggo. I just love the tactical side, and earpieces are a mixed blessing.

I used to have a french girlfriend in late 70's, so been there - amazing, and the 'grudge' challenge races after the tour on various tracks for huge money challenges then were brutal. I was at the Lorient track when Hinault took Zoetemelke in 80. First time in my life I came across ticket touts! 3 hours later I understood why.

Some of the team chefs have twitter accounts - Sky are definitely not veggies, and there's always wine on view - yesterday was Champers for Cav - and should be today for that fantastic intermediate sprint. Eyeballs out for only 6 points!
love'n'joy
Lloyd

No. Use to wake up early to watch it live each morning. Stopped when every one that was winning was being disqualified for doping. Now with them going back years to recheck blood; it just seems like a waste of time.

Johnus said:
No. Use to wake up early to watch it live each morning. Stopped when every one that was winning was being disqualified for doping. Now with them going back years to recheck blood; it just seems like a waste of time.

Like....I...errr don't understand. Why would anyone wanna go back years to recheck blood? Now that IS a waste of time.

Frankieabbott said:
Johnus said:

Like....I...errr don't understand. Why would anyone wanna go back years to recheck blood? Now that IS a waste of time.

I think Johnus is referring to the witch hunt on Lance Armstrong.

Fair play to Greipel today powered through, he must be happy after being pipped by Cav the other day. Shame Cav got caught up in that crash would have liked to have seen him go for his 22nd stage win and would have been interesting if he was up against Greipel again. Sagan in the mix aswell.

I love the tour, I am usually in the Basque country this time of year where they are fanatical about the tour, the atmosphere is great. Unfortunately the Olympics have prevented me being there so it's highlights at the moment and I will dive in deeper when they get to the mountains.

I do hope the Sky team are strong enough to pull Wiggins along, be great to see him win:)

I think the sponsors will make a huge difference for Wiggos chances in the next few days, Why we don't call them "employers" is a moot point.
Cav's sponsors are after the 'everyman' who know him as a sprinter, and expect him to win. The fans would treat him as a god if he became Wiggos super domestique to win the Tour - but they already spend their cash. Cavendish world champ cycle socks totally sold out in one day at £25 yes £25 a pair!
After losing Suitsou, I didn't think Wiggo had a great chance - but if Eisel and Cav definitely go it alone from now on, putting Bosen-Hagen into Suitsous role, or all for one, will probably, in my jaded opinion, depend on how much the sponsors have already committed to pre-produced ads!
We know Cav hates it when his roadrash scabs stick to the bedsheets, so he'll have a fire lit under his arse tomorrow - Brailsford will earn his money.
On a brighter note, the Olympic team is my fantasy selection, and watch out for UK national Champion Stannard, like Griepel never rode TdF cause in same team as Cav, Stannard is a loyal team player - but given the chance!!
I am so loving this. When I'm not shouting at the TV.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

jodypress said:
Frankieabbott said:
Johnus said:

I think Johnus is referring to the witch hunt on Lance Armstrong.

Yes

I love it, I only wish I didn't have to work all day so I could watch the endless days of coverage. Those wistful summery shots of rolling sunflower fields, the colour of the peloton threading through beautiful roads and untouched villages, the pissed blokes at the side of the road trying to run with the riders.

Alan Partridge, in his commentary days, once said it's like watching a herd of cows, but cows on bikes. No-one can put it better than that.

Despite the years upon years of doped riders trying their best to turn me off the sport, I'm still a sucker for the spectacle of the greatest show of pain in the world.

What a brutal day.
Other than Sagan and BMC almost every team has taken a mental and/or physical bashing.
I'd like a £200k a week footballer to try this!

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom